Evaluating Brian Quick’s 2013 Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

Back in 2012, the St.Louis Rams drafted who they thought would be their number one receiver of the future in Brian Quick in the second round with the 33rd overall pick. That could still be the case, but with fans growing impatient, its beginning to look more and more like Quick will be just another disappointing draft bust.

Coming from Appalachian St. the Rams knew Quick was going to be a project, the only problem is, that’s all he has been, a project.

Standing at 6’3, 218lbs, Quick has all the physical features needed to be the number one guy. He’s tall, he’s physical, he has the speed, he just hasn’t translated all of that talent and potential onto the field.

Rams general manager Les Snead was quoted after the 2012 draft that when he looked at Brian Quick he saw current Buccaneers wide receiver Vincent Jackson. Jackson and Quick both have similar size with Jackson standing two inches taller and weighing 12 extra pounds.

Similar to Quick, Jackson was also a late bloomer having 59, 453, and 623 yards receiving in his first three seasons. It was in Jackson’s fourth season that he finally broke out, receiving for over 1,000 yards in five of his next six seasons and scoring seven or more touchdowns in each of those 1,000 yard seasons.

The next best comparison is Larry Fitzgerald. Quick probably will never be Fitzgerald, but compared physically, they are astonishingly similar. Fitzgerald is 6’3, 218, while Quick is 6’3, 220. Fitzgerald came out of the gates pretty hot in his rookie season having 780 yards and eight touchdowns. Fitzgerald was a top five pick by the Cardinals, but a guy can dream right?

Quick showed flashes of what he could be in 2012, showing that he was a huge threat in the red zone by scoring a touchdown on a fade route in the against the Vikings, and then scoring another touchdown against the 49ers using his size to push away the cornerback and run into the end zone.

2013 was supposed to be a big year for Quick, it was supposed to be his breakout year. However, time and time again Quick managed to disappoint, always falling short. The deep ball would fall right through his finger tips, he would only get one foot in bounds, or he would run the wrong route. Luck has just never seemed to fall Quick’s way.

Quick did once again however, show that he was a threat in the red zone, but showed that he also had the capability of being a deep threat as he had a 73 yard reception against the Panthers.

At this point, especially after 2013, the Rams have to be shooting themselves in the foot for taking Quick and not Bears wide receiver Alshon Jeffrey who was drafted 12 picks later.

Jeffrey had a slow start last season only having 367 yards, but completely broke out in 2013 having 1,421 yards and seven touchdowns. That’s more of what the Rams would have liked out of Quick. They did reach a little for Quick, but they believed that he was their guy, their investment just hasn’t paid off.

Granted Quick did improve in basically every statistical category in 2013 which is a good sign. However the amount of improvement doesn’t pop out as number one receiver material.

screenshot_196.png

Slowly but surely Quick is improving. Unfortunately for Quick however, is that this isn’t the race between the tortoise and the hare in which slow and steady wins the race. This is the NFL and the time to win is now.

The 6’3, 220lbs receiver out of Appalachia State, has shown that he has what it takes in flashes, it’s just a matter of putting it all together on a more consistent basis.

The Rams would love to have Quick in their future, that’s why Jeff Fisher and Les Snead drafted him and not Alshon Jeffrey. The only problem is, if he’s not producing on the field, there’s not much the Rams can do but move on.

Snead and Fisher predicted a break out year for this team in 2014, for Brian Quick’s case, let’s surely hope so.

http://ramblinfan.com/2014/01/08/evaluating-brian-quicks-2013-season/

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I read this and commented on the site. Pretty on sided and showing obvious bias against Quick dogs him for dropping balls when he had 2 drops this year, says nothing about Bradford playing fewer than 7 games. Meh:jerkoff:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Come on Quick!!!! Need you to bust through next year.

Alan

Legend
I read this and commented on the site. Pretty on sided and showing obvious bias against Quick dogs him for dropping balls when he had 2 drops this year, says nothing about Bradford playing fewer than 7 games. Meh:jerkoff:
Two drops out of how many catchable balls? However, Clemens being his QB is huge IMO. I think 2014 is going to be make or break for him as least as far as being a Ram is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

6014? Man, I didn't think the rams would have to wait that long.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Two drops out of how many catchable balls? However, Clemens being his QB is huge IMO. I think 6014 is going to be make or break for him as least as far as being a Ram is concerned.
Well he had a whopping 36 targets 2 drops and 18 catches with 2 TDs so nearly half of the targets were uncatchable. He had 5 games roughly 1/3 of the year with 0, ZERO, ZIP, NADA targets all of those with KC at QB. And 1 game (Carolina) with 6 targets 1/6th of his number for the year.

Anyone that complains about his production just doesn't do any research or doesn't understand when they see the numbers.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I personally think he was doing better with Sam than Kellen but who knows. Even Vincent Jackson didn't start coming on until year 3. He has the tools, just needs to step up.

Alan

Legend
blackbart coming back with passion:
Well he had a whopping 36 targets 2 drops and 18 catches with 2 TDs so nearly half of the targets were uncatchable. He had 5 games roughly 1/3 of the year with 0, ZERO, ZIP, NADA targets all of those with KC at QB. And 1 game (Carolina) with 6 targets 1/6th of his number for the year.

Anyone that complains about his production just doesn't do any research or doesn't understand when they see the numbers.
There are a lot of "take no prisoners" statements in those few sentences. :D

Here's an alternative view/explanation:

Your opinion is that half of those passes were uncatchable. There is no evidence of that. For an example, many of them could have been contested balls that he didn't win. Are they drops? No. Did he do his job well or even at all? Debatable. The bottom line here is that simply looking at stat lines is problematical at best and completely deceptive at worst. Kind of address your last sentence doesn't it? :wink:

In addition, how many of those 18 passes weren't completed because he wasn't open. Doesn't that say quite a bit about what his productivity was and what it might be in the future?

Now we'll get to the elephant in the room. Why was he not given a bigger role in the passing game? I don't know the answer to that question but I can't think of one that would reflect well on his abilities as a WR. Maybe you can.

As for Clemens being his QB for a substantial part of the season, I remarked about that already. It's huge but on the same hand it's huge for all our WRs and the others seemed to get their fair share of the available passes (which weren't that many). Why did his targets suffer the most? Again, I'm unable to come up with an answer that flatters him.

Let's hope the light comes on next year.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
There are a lot of "take no prisoners" statements in those few sentences. :D

Here's an alternative view/explanation:

Your opinion is that half of those passes were uncatchable. There is no evidence of that. For an example, many of them could have been contested balls that he didn't win. Are they drops? No. Did he do his job well or even at all? Debatable. The bottom line here is that simply looking at stat lines is problematical at best and completely deceptive at worst. Kind of address your last sentence doesn't it? :wink:

In addition, how many of those 18 passes weren't completed because he wasn't open. Doesn't that say quite a bit about what his productivity was and what it might be in the future?

Now we'll get to the elephant in the room. Why was he not given a bigger role in the passing game? I don't know the answer to that question but I can't think of one that would reflect well on his abilities as a WR. Maybe you can.

As for Clemens being his QB for a substantial part of the season, I remarked about that already. It's huge but on the same hand it's huge for all our WRs and the others seemed to get their fair share of the available passes (which weren't that many). Why did his targets suffer the most? Again, I'm unable to come up with an answer that flatters him.

Let's hope the light comes on next year.
Alan - I don't have answers to all of your questions but as for the bolded...I believe BQ suffered the most because of the way he is used. His forte is the intermediate routes, the digs, deep outs and crossing routes. I think those were, unfortunately, out of Clemens' comfort zone. I saw many opportunities for throws to an open Quick that Clemens did not attempt to make.

Alan

Legend
BigRamFan lending his expertise:
Alan - I don't have answers to all of your questions but as for the bolded...I believe BQ suffered the most because of the way he is used. His forte is the intermediate routes, the digs, deep outs and crossing routes. I think those were, unfortunately, out of Clemens' comfort zone. I saw many opportunities for throws to an open Quick that Clemens did not attempt to make.

Sounds like an excellent answer to me. It would explain a lot. Makes me feel better going into next year too. :woot:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Watkins-Austin- Bailey- Quick-Cook

And then we're a run first team on top of it lol.

Quick just needs to compliment Sammy Watkins. I think he could do a nice job of that.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Alan, I think if we look into the numbers for each of our WRs we see a clear pattern that shows there was a huge drop in opportunities after Sam went down. I know, not news to anyone here. The clearest example to me is what happened to Pettis.

He had targets of 6, 11, 5, 9, 5, and 1 in the games Bradford played; 37 out of his 63 targets for the year in the first 1/3 of the year. Did he become less involved in the offense? Yes. Was it his ability or was it the switch to KC? I think Pettis and Quick were used in much the same role and that also curtailed Quick's opportunities.

One of the things I see with this group of receivers including the TEs is that there won't be a go to guy like Calvin Johnson or even a two man team like Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jefferies. It seems to me this will be an offense that spreads the ball between 5, 6, 7 guys per game with different guys getting more or fewer targets based on what the defense does.

I think Quick will develop but really don't expect him to be a "true #1" and I don't think the Rams want that kind of guy in their offense.