Eureka grad ‘Mo’ Alexander comes full circle as Rams draft pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By: Warren Mayes
http://www.newsmagazinenetwork.com/...exander-comes-full-circle-as-rams-draft-pick/

EbzZYRE.jpg

Being drafted by the St. Louis Rams left Eureka graduate Maurice “Mo” Alexander overwhelmed.

“It’s a dream come true. I’m from here and I always dreamed of playing here,” Alexander said. “I know my mother is proud of me, and my family. It’s just a dream come true.”

Proud of her son, Alexander’s mother, Lynette McAlpine, may have to switch what NFL team she roots for now.

“She’s a (Green Bay) Packer fan,” Alexander said. “She’s going to be a Rams fan now.”

The 6-foot-2, 212-pound safety from Utah State is the first player from Eureka ever drafted into the NFL. The football program has had several players become free agents after a draft but this is the first one to be selected by a team.

Alexander also starred in wrestling and track for the Wildcats. He is a physical and aggressive player who shifted from outside linebacker to safety as a senior and who is expected to make an immediate impact with the Rams on special teams.

Eureka football coach Farrell Shelton, who has remained close to Alexander, said: “I’ve been crying. It’s a happy cry. He’s so appreciative of this opportunity. He had called of the night of Auburn-Florida State national championship game. He said ‘Coach, I graduated’ That really got to me. He and I shared a pretty cool moment.”

His other coaches are happy for him as well.

“We are very proud of Maurice and everything he has gone through to get where he is today,” Eureka wrestling coach Tim Yancey said. “He will represent Eureka High, the St. Louis area and the St. Louis Rams very well.

“Mo was a tremendous athlete. He is the complete package.”

That’s what the Rams are looking for.

A late bloomer, he didn’t play his first two years at Eureka, but he finished high school as a two-year all-state player along with being a two-time all-conference athlete. He helped the Wildcats to a pair of district championships and advance to the state semifinals twice.

He posted 134 tackles with 18.0 sacks his senior season.

He concluded his senior collegiate season ranking 32nd in the Mountain West and first among safeties.

Despite his on-field success, the road to the NFL wasn’t easy. Alexander got in trouble in college.

He was kicked off the Utah State team for one season and was sentenced to a year in jail after punching running back Joey DiMartino, a teammate, in the face after a party. He pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of aggravated assault resulting in body injury and all but 45 days of the sentence was suspended.

DeMartino needed surgery for broken bones in his left eye socket and a fractured cheekbone. On the upside, Alexander said the two remain “great friends.”

“It was a mistake, but it made me a better man today. That year off, it taught me a lot,” Alexander said. “I know it could be over quick.”

During his year off, Alexander came back to the area. He got a job as a janitor at the Edward Jones Dome after St. Louis Rams games.

“Oh man, it was some work,” Alexander said. “I’m not going to lie, there’s a lot of cleaning up to do in that stadium.”

Throughout it all, he kept his dreams alive.

“Every time I went to work, I always sat on the end of the field, and I looked at it like, ‘This could be my dream spot.’ Look where I’m at now,” he said. “It’s going to be an emotional moment. To go from working there as a janitor to playing there – it’s going to be an emotional moment.”

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I don't know much about this kid... but they went after him hard so they must have plans for him. If he and TJMcD become a solid pairing, it's gonna be ferocious back there

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I don't know much about this kid... but they went after him hard so they must have plans for him. If he and TJMcD become a solid pairing, it's gonna be ferocious back there

I didn't see much on tape to get me gitty. But hey, that's beauty and downfall of the draft. You just don't know...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a great story, it tells me that this guy will stop at nothing to reach his full potential. Really excited about him, he has the ability to become the enforcer we need. better think twice about catching a ball over the middle with mo out there

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think this kid is going to be sneaky good. Under the radar? No, he slipped in through the back door and he may be a touch hungry, kinda like a junk yard dog.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
a grocery store clerk got us one super bowl maybe a janitor can get us another.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am definitely pulling for Mo to succeed, he seems genuine. I would love to see him make an impact in and out of football. Some of us learn the hard way. It takes mistakes some larger than others to grow and become a complete person. Lets hope he has great things ahead.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
At best, we found a gem and a starting Safety.
At worst, this pick is Mardy Gilyard like.... fourth round guy who showed a lot of dedication to dig his way out of the mess he had made to make it to the NFL. Although unlike Gilyard, he has a much better group of coaches and players to learn from and develop with. Also unlike Gilyard, I believe he can be a valuable member of our STs.