Eugene Sims hoping to return to Rams, even in same role/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Eugene Sims hoping to return to Rams, even in same role
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ms-hoping-to-return-to-rams-even-in-same-role

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In a season in which the Rams starting defensive ends Chris Long and Robert Quinn missed chunks of time because of injury, there was no shortage of opportunities for backup Eugene Sims.

By the time it was over, Sims started nine games, posting 24 tackles, 1.5 sacks, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and an interception he nearly returned for a touchdown in the season finale. The production was modest, to be sure, but Sims has proved a solid rotation piece on the defensive line in his six seasons with the Rams.

Believe it or not, the former sixth-round pick in the 2010 NFL draft is one of the three longest-tenured Rams on the roster. How much longer he holds that distinction, though, remains to be seen. Sims is one of a dozen Rams set to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason, which means the 29-year old could be on the move.

But if Sims gets his way, he won't be going anywhere except to Southern California with his Rams teammates.

"Oh man, this is my heart," Sims said. "This locker room is where I want to be. I've had this locker for six years and I don't think I can see myself in another uniform. I love the coaching staff and the locker room is about brotherhood to me. I'd rather be here and I'm not looking to go nowhere else so we'll see how it goes."

So Sims clearly sounds like a man committed to staying a Ram but what if another team came forward with a chance to give Sims an expanded role, would that change his mind?

"No, not at all," Sims said. "And that's not me being content with what I'm doing. Being behind someone like Rob Quinn is big and I'm still getting the role I'm getting and backing up him, I have no problem with it. I enjoy being with the whole room that we have in the defensive line room so we'll see how it goes."

With so many players scheduled to be free agents, the Rams have a lot to figure out when it comes to how they intend to distribute their available cap space. They will have plenty of money to spend but it's unlikely they'll be able to retain all of their players hitting the market. The situation at defensive end is particularly intriguing.

Long is under contract for another year but at a price of $14.25 million that means he likely won't return, at least not at that price. End William Hayes is also an unrestricted free agent and, like Long, is a key part of the team's leadership. Hayes is the more productive of the two primary backups -- to the point that he held on to the starting job after Long returned -- but will likely cost more than Sims to retain.

The Rams might also be wise to begin planning for the future at defensive end and put an emphasis on acquiring one relatively early in the draft. Sims won't force the Rams to break the bank but they also have promising young linemen like Ethan Westbrooks and Matt Longacre under team control at cheaper prices, which might also make his return a more difficult proposition.

That's why, even though Sims wants to return, he knows that many possibilities exist.

"The offseason, we'll see how it goes," Sims said. "This is the last year on my contract. We'll see where it takes me and see where it goes from upstairs to my agent and wherever it ends up, it does."

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Seems like a nice guy, but time to move on.

jmo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's better than C.Long...and can be had at a fraction of the cost....should be an easy decision.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like Eugene Sims as a reserve a lot. ES started 9 games & finished 3 others for that so so starting RDE think his name is Rob something. Truth is he is much better coming off the bench & being used in the rotational role on that right side inside & out. The sacks coming from that end was down dramatically. As a part time rotation ES has 3 sacks in 2014 & 2012 & 2 sacks in 2013. Up till this season ES has only started 3 games in five seasons.

Using the stats only it clear that ES is not a NFL pass rusher but he did hold containment better than in the past. With all this starting action his tackles & sacks (1.5) dropped? Not good. On the positive side he did have an INT, Forced Fumble a Fumble recovery & 2 PDEF's. Sims may be a better 34 DE as a starter than a 43 RDE. A 4th string DT with zero starts Ethan Westbrooks had more sacks than ES. If the Rams release Chris Long & loose William Hayes @ LDE side then resigning Sims would be a very good ideal.

If Quinn can regain past form after back surgery then The Rams might get buy with Westbrooks, Longacre & Sims as their main four DE's if Quinn has a set back or does not regain pass form the Rams will once again have issues if they have to depend on ES once again to get pressure on the QB. You better have a plan C.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Hayes is more important than Sims. I'd like to keep them all but never know. Long has already come out saying he knows he needs to take a pay cut to stay, but wants to stay. I'd like to see him finish up a life long Ram. He is a great locker room presence

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As with all these FAs it's gonna be about the money. Only two guys the Rams are going to pay big cashish to are Barron and one of the CBs, IMO. After that it's gonna be about guys being paid for lesser roles.

I think it's good news that Sims wants to stay and hope it happens. If Chris takes a pay cut they might be able to keep Hayes or Sims, not sure if both though.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would have Sims pretty far down the priority list in FA....Johnson, JJ, Barron, Hayes, Fairley, McLeod then maybe Sims. He is a solid guy but Hayes is a better rotational guy as he can play both inside and out. I certainly wouldn't mind having Sims back, but, if Hayes returns have a draft pick and Longacre battle it out for the 4th DE spot is ok with me too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As with all these FAs it's gonna be about the money. Only two guys the Rams are going to pay big cashish to are Barron and one of the CBs, IMO. After that it's gonna be about guys being paid for lesser roles.

I think it's good news that Sims wants to stay and hope it happens. If Chris takes a pay cut they might be able to keep Hayes or Sims, not sure if both though.

Why do you say that when the cap is expanding and Jim Thomas has reported many times that the Rams should be I very good shape when it comes to resigning their free agents. Cutting Cook and restructuring Long, etc Will add to the 15 million a year cap addition. I think they sign all of the the DBs, except maybe one. They can let TJ or McLeod go if they get too much and plug in Alexander. Or sign both and play Alexander in Barron's role.

Or they could let JJ walk and sign the rest including Barron.

If it were me and one had to move on it would be a safety.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do you say that when the cap is expanding and Jim Thomas has reported many times that the Rams should be I very good shape when it comes to resigning their free agents. Cutting Cook and restructuring Long, etc Will add to the 15 million a year cap addition. I think they sign all of the the DBs, except maybe one. They can let TJ or McLeod go if they get too much and plug in Alexander. Or sign both and play Alexander in Barron's role.

Or they could let JJ walk and sign the rest including Barron.

If it were me and one had to move on it would be a safety.

I say that because of a few reasons: they have been very good with their cap discipline in terms of paying guys what they are worth and structuring it well, they have a lot of guys hitting FA, and they need to bring in a WR and either re-sign Barnes bring in a guy like Wiz to ensure the OL is good.

I'd like to see both corners come back, but that is very unlikely with a legitimate starting CB and legitimate slot CB on the roster in Gaines and Joyner. The roster dictates that one.

At safety it's the same deal. Barron adds LB and SS depth so his value to the team is greater than that of McLeod. TJM and Alexander look fine as the starters. It's time for TJM to take charge back there, Barron could move over and/or sub packages be adjusted if needed for depth, so IMO Barron is the guy they bring back. Plus he's seen what it's like to be in the wrong scheme and will appreciate playing for Williams i.e. be an easier re-signing. McLeod, meanwhile, is a very good young safety that is going to get paid. Is it smart to pay him when your drafting and development have built such good depth?

DE is more critical, granted. Going by the roster they have to bring Hayes back as a minimum but they'll need more depth for their rotation. They have Long and Sims they need to make decisions on. Sims has developed very well, but will they be able to fit everyone within their cap expectations? That's what it comes down to. It will start with Long, and to what extent he will accept a pay cut. I think they like the idea of him coming back. Sims is that piece that will fit or not fit depending on Long and Hayes, basically.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I say that because of a few reasons: they have been very good with their cap discipline in terms of paying guys what they are worth and structuring it well, they have a lot of guys hitting FA, and they need to bring in a WR and either re-sign Barnes bring in a guy like Wiz to ensure the OL is good.

I'd like to see both corners come back, but that is very unlikely with a legitimate starting CB and legitimate slot CB on the roster in Gaines and Joyner. The roster dictates that one.

At safety it's the same deal. Barron adds LB and SS depth so his value to the team is greater than that of McLeod. TJM and Alexander look fine as the starters. It's time for TJM to take charge back there, Barron could move over and/or sub packages be adjusted if needed for depth, so IMO Barron is the guy they bring back. Plus he's seen what it's like to be in the wrong scheme and will appreciate playing for Williams i.e. be an easier re-signing. McLeod, meanwhile, is a very good young safety that is going to get paid. Is it smart to pay him when your drafting and development have built such good depth?

DE is more critical, granted. Going by the roster they have to bring Hayes back as a minimum but they'll need more depth for their rotation. They have Long and Sims they need to make decisions on. Sims has developed very well, but will they be able to fit everyone within their cap expectations? That's what it comes down to. It will start with Long, and to what extent he will accept a pay cut. I think they like the idea of him coming back. Sims is that piece that will fit or not fit depending on Long and Hayes, basically.

You are assuming that all of these guys are 'Getting Paid'. If you haven't noticed there are a lot of good defenses in the NFL and the Rams defenders are not all the best at their positions. Sure they will get some offers but I dont think any warrant the big money except maybe Jenkins and he could be a 'contract year' anomaly. Even Tru has battled injuries for several years. That stuff factors in.The two that will command the most money is probably Tru and JJ. I think JJ walks. They can resign one. I prefer to sign both because right now there is no way to know what Gaines will be when he returns. Lis Franc injuries have ruined careers. McLeod? What makes you think he is getting the big bucks? He is not a great Free safety. His ball skills are week. He is a good deep safety that protects from big gains. Mo could do that. A lot of guys could do that. Teams wont be throwing the bank at McLeod.

I think TJ could be a casualty because he is a hard hitting SS that already beat up his shoulder with those hits. I wouldn't be throwing big money his way.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are assuming that all of these guys are 'Getting Paid'. If you haven't noticed there are a lot of good defenses in the NFL and the Rams defenders are not all the best at their positions. Sure they will get some offers but I dont think any warrant the big money except maybe Jenkins and he could be a 'contract year' anomaly. Even Tru has battled injuries for several years. That stuff factors in.The two that will command the most money is probably Tru and JJ. I think JJ walks. They can resign one. I prefer to sign both because right now there is no way to know what Gaines will be when he returns. Lis Franc injuries have ruined careers. McLeod? What makes you think he is getting the big bucks? He is not a great Free safety. His ball skills are week. He is a good deep safety that protects from big gains. Mo could do that. A lot of guys could do that. Teams wont be throwing the bank at McLeod.

I think TJ could be a casualty because he is a hard hitting SS that already beat up his shoulder with those hits. I wouldn't be throwing big money his way.

Re: McLeod there are a lot of teams that will be interested because good deep safeties have some value. All it takes is one team to overpay him a little and it would probably be too rich for the Rams blood due to their depth not to mention he might not win the position next season. Rams are loaded at safety with TJ and Mo and will most likely bring back Barron too so I think they let Rodney hit the market and roll to another team.

Re: Jenks and Tru they are not the best at their positions but both are well above average. Jenks is nearing that shutdown range and might get there in this next couple years and teams are gonna pay him. Both those guys will get paid if they hit the market and I think it's a longshot the Rams wrap them both up. Before the move to LA my guess was they'd bring Tru back, but Jenks loves LA so who knows.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
What? The players love the coaching staff....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would have Sims pretty far down the priority list in FA....Johnson, JJ, Barron, Hayes, Fairley, McLeod then maybe Sims. He is a solid guy but Hayes is a better rotational guy as he can play both inside and out. I certainly wouldn't mind having Sims back, but, if Hayes returns have a draft pick and Longacre battle it out for the 4th DE spot is ok with me too.
Of the Rams UFA's below...
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/los-angeles-rams/
#1-CB-Jenkins- Tag JJ for one season since we are soaked in cap cash as many say we are.
#2-CB-Johnson- Sign Trumaine to a 4 yr contract.
#3-OC-Barnes- No brainer here sign him up to a 4 yr contract, he has earned a pay raise.
#4-OLB-Barron- As our starting weak side LB'er only. Rams have only 1 NFL full time starting caliber LB'er in Ogletree.
#5-DE-Hayes- If you loose Sims & release Long he should then be our 5th priority.
#6-FS-McLeod- Rams should have two young good starting strong safetys and should have C.Bryant, Cody Davis & Lamarcus Joyner signed & ready to compete for the FS post which would drop this good FS down on the list.