ESPN’s Sports Science Lab: Watkins and Evans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

ESPN’s Sport Science breaks down two highly-touted wide receiver prospects: Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans. (2:35)

Alan

Legend
It's interesting that Evans ranked higher than Watkins but why the hell didn't they compare each metric to the other guy instead of to the combine average? Lame.

iced

It's interesting that Evans ranked higher than Watkins but why the hell didn't they compare each metric to the other guy instead of to the combine average? Lame.
probably to show how far away these 2 are from the rest of the class... which is interesting considering how deep this draft is at wr

Alan

Legend
iced with an explanation:
probably to show how far away these 2 are from the rest of the class... which is interesting considering how deep this draft is at wr
Yeah, I understood that. Problem is, it would have been so much more informative to have compared them to each other IN ADDITION to comparing them to the average combine score. Plus what the hell does the combine average mean anyway? It's a completely worthless stat. Compare them to the top 5 WRs or top 10 WRs OK. But your adding in UDFAs with that average. Completely worthless IMO.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Give me Mike Evans over Sammy Watkins any day of the week and twice on Sunday, Mondays and Thursday nights. :cheers:

Alan

Legend
RamsAndEwe wanting to trade down:
I prefer Mike Evans to Watkins. I hope we trade back to Atlanta's 6th pick and take Mike Evans.
Love the trade but not the pick. Matthews.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Give me Mike Evans over Sammy Watkins any day of the week and twice on Sunday, Mondays and Thursday nights. :cheers:

I think Iced has a point when he says that Watkins and Evans are far above the rest of the class. But I have to disagree with you Rammer. Watkins is going to be a star on day 1. Evans should have a fine career and if we pick him, I'll be fine with it, but Watkins is over Evans in every way except height:

Faster 4.43 vs 4.53 (40 yard) Quicker: 6.95 vs 7.08 (3 cone) Stronger: 16 reps vs 12 (225 bench) And Watkins is smart and tough as nails.

I fear a well-researched rebuttle from Ewe is on the way...

tbux

Rookie
watching both a lot- I think Watkins is going to be a MUCH better pro- Evans could end up with more tds because of his size in the red zone- but everywhere else, Watkins will be the much better player. No doubt in my mind.

Alan

Legend
RamsAndEwe liking Evans:
I prefer Mike Evans to Watkins. I hope we trade back to Atlanta's 6th pick and take Mike Evans.
I forgot to say that I agree with your choice of Evans over Watkins. Both are great though.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Love the trade but not the pick. Matthews.

I will publish an article, with my comments on the value of offensive linemen vs defensive linemen, WR's, DB's, and so on. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow , but someday soon. I've scouted your tape! Here's looking at you kid...

Considering our first pick and possible trade downs, I want the Rams to draft one of the following players. Clowney, Mike Evans, Khalil Mack, Johnny Football, or Justin Gilbert. ( if we trade back as far as Minnesota) I won't cry if we draft Watkins, Robinson, or Jake Mathews yet, it goes against the grain of the tape I scouted. To an offensive lineman goes against my cost/benefit positional philosophy on how the value of positional players relate to Won-Loss records.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Honestly if we trade back to #6 I dont think we will be taking Evans, it'll probably be whoever drops to #6 in which our top 3 I'd imagine are Matthews, Robinson, Watkins that we'd take. Personally I like taking a premier OL prospect and trade up and get Evans. It'll more and likely have to be at #6 since if Watkins is gone no way Tampa Bay passes on Evans.
I think Iced has a point when he says that Watkins and Evans are far above the rest of the class. But I have to disagree with you Rammer. Watkins is going to be a star on day 1. Evans should have a fine career and if we pick him, I'll be fine with it, but Watkins is over Evans in every way except height:

Faster 4.43 vs 4.53 (40 yard) Quicker: 6.95 vs 7.08 (3 cone) Stronger: 16 reps vs 12 (225 bench) And Watkins is smart and tough as nails.

I fear a well-researched rebuttle from Ewe is on the way...

I by no means am saying Watkins is trash. I wouldn't cry a bit if we took him, however if I had a gun to my head and was forced to split hairs I'd say I'd take Evans hands down as per the reason RamsandEwe listed on her analysis and comparisons of the two.

Yes Watkins might be faster, quicker etc. but this isn't the Olympics. You don't just draft somebody on measurables and shuttle numbers. This is football, with contact and mismatches and with evans height and his "cubic feet volume" of area he covers I'd rather have somebody like him instead of Watkins in the redzone. It's almost like comparing and debating who you'd rather have Megatron or Jerry Rice ya know? lol Both are bad ass!

Alan

Legend
RamsAndEwe with a tantalizing come on:
I will publish an article, with my comments on the value of offensive linemen vs defensive linemen, WR's, DB's, and so on. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow , but someday soon.

Considering our first pick and possible trade downs, I want the Rams to draft one of the following players. Clowney, Mike Evans, Khalil Mack, Johnny Football, or Justin Gilbert. ( if we trade back as far as Minnesota) I won't cry if we draft Watkins, Robinson, or Jake Mathews yet, it goes against the grain of the tape I scouted.
I'm looking forward to reading it. Take your time Ewe cause I'm sure it will be worth the wait. :)

As for drafting the players you like, I have no problems with Evans or Gilbert if we trade down, even though I disagree with you about the value of getting an OT. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

I don't like Mack because I don't think he's a good fit for us and Clowney is too big of a risk for me. Robinson is also a big risk but his risk is mitigated by his value as a guard. A position at which I don't think there is any risk.

We can continue this conversation after you're posted your thoughts about drafting OTs.

PhxRam

Anyone else notice Evans did a little double toe tap out of the gate on the acceleration test? Might have cost him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Clowney is too big of a risk for me.
lol.gif

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Anyone else notice Evans did a little double toe tap out of the gate on the acceleration test? Might have cost him.
Had to watch it again. Amazing how fast he was even with that double tap

Alan

Legend
-X- thinking he has bigger balls than me:
lol.gif

X:
squirrelTesticles.jpg

Alan:
79291006.GHksAsNt.jpg

It's not how big they are it's how you don't use them that counts. :seizure: