ESPN's Greatest NFL Coaches of All Time Series

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This series is running beginning Thursday through June-11 on ESPN.

I have a hard time with any list that has Bellicheat on it. On the surface, I get why he is... but he was/is a cheater. How can that be overlooked?

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/greatestcoachreilly/my-top-20-nfl-coaches" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/gr ... fl-coaches</a>

Here is Rick Reilley's list:

I've been instructed by the ESPN gendarmes not to reveal who made our Greatest Coaches in NFL History poll. But I know who I voted for, and I know who the group voted for, and one of us must've voted on nitrous oxide, because we're a Carnival cruise ship apart on some picks.

20. Dan Reeves -- Gruff and grouchy, the man went to four Super Bowls, three with John Elway and one against him. That says something, doesn't it? And in that one, he woke up on game day to find out his best defensive player had been busted by an undercover hooker.

19. Ray Flaherty -- Don't start with me. Just because he coached before Netflix doesn't mean he wasn't great. Invented the screen pass. Invented situational substitution. Won two NFL titles and a bunch of division titles in the All-America Football Conference (AAFC), which was a very big deal despite TMZ never having heard of it.

18. Tom Coughlin -- Won two Super Bowls with The Wrong Manning.

17. Marv Levy -- Made four straight Super Bowls. You say he never won The Big One. I say he won two Grey Cups. History buff. Once said, "This is not a must-win. World War II was a must-win."

16. Hank Stram -- Easily the most persnickety man on this list. Always wore a jacket and tie and, often, a red vest underneath. Saw him do it on a 100-degree Sunday. As thorough and obsessed a coach as has ever lived. He never had an offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator or special teams coach with the Chiefs. Never needed 'em.

15. George Allen -- Would've been a great general. He'd find a way to beat you if all he had was two right tackles and a spatula. Never had a losing season. Won 71 percent of the time. OK, so it never happened for him in the playoffs. Sue.

14. Jimmy Johnson -- Still can't believe he's not in the Hall of Fame. Do you think Cowboys fans would take him back right now? Made all those egos work, the largest of which was his.

13. Sid Gillman -- You like the NFL, right? Well, the NFL wouldn't be the NFL without Sid Gillman, who did for football what color did for television. He was the first to throw it deep and stretch the field. He was the first to study film religiously. (When he was with the Chargers, he did it in his garage.) The former movie usher turned the NFL into a show.

12. Curly Lambeau -- Six NFL titles. First to use the forward pass as his main weapon. Won two out of every three games with the Packers. Oddity: Lambeau never went to Lambeau Field. When he was alive, it was called New City Stadium. Cue the music. Cue John Facenda. The frozen TUN-dra of New … City … Stadium. Not the same.

11. Bud Grant -- The Norse God. He looked like the guy Hollywood hires to play a football coach. Always wore the expression of an Easter Island statue, even as Gary Cuozzo or Joe Kapp was fumbling away another Super Bowl. Maybe if he could've relaxed the rules a little on his players, like Chuck Noll, he would've won one of those four Super Bowls. Wasn't going to happen.

10. John Madden -- No matter where you visited Madden, whether it was at his apartment in The Dakota in New York City, or his house in Carmel, you'd find him in a big easy chair in front of about five TVs. The man's whole life has been football -- playing it, coaching it, and describing it. A name known to both grandpa and grandson. He's the very face of this game and what a grand face it is.

9. Chuck Noll -- Four Super Bowl wins in six years. Then why isn't he higher, you ask? Because he did it with only one quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, and one defense, the Steel Curtain. The Rooneys go on winning long after Noll. And once Bradshaw left? Noll went 62-67.

8. Bill Walsh -- This will torque people off, having Walsh this low, but I answer with two words: Joe Montana. He won all three of his Super Bowls with Joe Montana. Still, a very smart guy. One of the smartest things he did? Quit just before Montana did.

7. Don Shula -- Best thing ever said about Shula was by Bum Phillips: "He's awfully smart. He can take his'n and beat your'n. Or he can take your'n and beat his'n." Nobody won more games than Shula. Nobody coached in more Super Bowls (six). I have him lower than most people because … well, I just felt … OK, maybe I messed this up.

6. Tom Landry -- The Fedora had 20 straight winning seasons, made five Super Bowls, and was my mom's favorite coach because he looked so nice on the sideline, unlike certain coaches in cut-off, bottom-of-the-hamper sweatshirts you might find at your finer Goodwill stores.

5. George Halas -- Greatest car salesman in history. There's no NFL without Halas. Played, owned, founded, coached, and nurtured this league. But did you know he was the MVP of the Rose Bowl?

4. Bill Belichick -- A mad scientist. Stores his blood in the freezer at night. Would've made a terrific despot way back when. The man already has been to five Super Bowls and he's only 61. The way he's going, he could make it to seven, a record. You say, "What about your one-quarterback rule NOW?" And I say, "How do you know Tom Brady would be Tom Brady anywhere else? He wasn't Tom Brady in college, was he?"

3. Paul Brown -- I have him ahead of Walsh because without Brown, there would be no Walsh. Or West Coast offense, which was born of Brown's ideas. Brown didn't just win three NFL titles, he won four AAFC titles with Cleveland for an all-time high of seven championships. You know anybody else with an NFL team named after him?

2. Joe Gibbs -- OK, here's where you start throwing shoes. But it goes back to quarterbacks. Nobody has ever come close to doing what Gibbs did, which is win three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks, none of whom are in the Hall of Fame. That's like crossing the Pacific in a Little Mermaid floatie.

1. Vince Lombardi -- OK, the chalk pick, but do you think Bart Starr would be in the Hall of Fame without him? How about Jim Ringo or Herb Adderly? The talent didn't make Lombardi. Lombardi made the talent. This former Latin teacher got a job nobody wanted -- coaching the 1-10-1 Packers -- and proceeded to win 74 percent of his games after that. Seventy-four percent!

Now let me tell you whom I didn't vote for.

I didn't put Bill Parcells in the top 20. Lot of people are going to file a grievance over that. Fine coach, fun guy, but his regular-season coaching record was only .570, which ranks below most of the coaches in my top 20. Plus, Parcells' stature was blown up because he did his best work in New York, which is the scuba mask of the world. Everything you do in New York looks one-third bigger than it really is.

I stiffed Mike Shanahan, too. Like Parcells, Shanahan is a wizard, but both his Super Bowls came with one quarterback, Elway. He has won one playoff game in the 13 years since. Needs to prove it.

Lastly, I didn't vote for Tony Dungy. People act as if he won two Super Bowls: the one with Indy and the one Tampa Bay won the year after he was fired. Kim Kardashian just got pregnant with Kanye West. Does Kris Humphries get credit for that? And yes, he won a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning, but your muffler guy could win one with Manning in those years. Wonderful man, though.

Anyway, if you have any beefs, run them all through Adam Schefter.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is Herm Edwards list;

<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9295272/nfl-herm-edwards-ranks-top-20-coaches-all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... oaches-all</a>

Coaching in the NFL isn't an easy job. But there are certain guys who stand above the rest and have sustained periods of success. And it doesn't always happen right away. Tom Landry, one of the best coaches of all time, went 0-11-1 in his first season with the Dallas Cowboys; Bill Parcells was 3-12-1 in his first season with the New York Giants; and even the great Bill Walsh was 2-14 with the San Francisco 49ers in 1979.

It takes time to develop a personal style that resonates with the players and it can take time to get the personnel in place to fit your style. And part of what you need is a patient organization that lets you perfect your style and get those players. One theme running among my picks for the top coaches in NFL history is that ownership gave them a chance after their initial struggles. And in most cases, they rewarded that ownership with a Super Bowl title or two. Here are my top 20 coaches of all time:

1. George Halas
Halas is No. 1 for me because of his longevity and excellence. The man coached the Chicago Bears for 40 seasons. Let me repeat that: 40 seasons. All he did was win six NFL titles and compile a record of 324-151-31 (.682), while sustaining a competitive team over his entire coaching career. Perhaps his most impressive statistic is that his teams were under .500 in only six of his 40 seasons.

2. Vince Lombardi
The namesake of the Super Bowl trophy, Lombardi is a legend. He turned around a Packers franchise in 1959 that hadn't had a winning season since 1947. He had an astonishing winning percentage of .750, and most important was 9-1 in the playoffs. And his Green Bay teams in the 1960s won three straight championships (one NFL title and the first two Super Bowls). The man simply knew how to win.

3. Chuck Noll
I remember watching Chuck on TV when I was young and I also was fortunate enough to play against him. His teams were always disciplined and believed in fundamentals. Chuck was 12-30 in his first three seasons (think about that by today's standards), but the Rooneys saw something special in his coaching ability and stuck with him. A class man, Chuck always won with humility. And he did a lot of winning, leading the Steelers to four Super Bowl wins and 11 division titles in his 23 years.

4. Don Shula
The winningest coach in NFL history, Shula was an incredible 328-156-6 (.678) in the regular season and won 19 division titles. He was a disciplined coach and really got the most out of his players. His teams didn't turn over the ball and didn't commit penalties. His record of 328 regular-season wins won't be broken -- and he also holds the distinction of being the coach of the last undefeated team, the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

5. Bill Walsh
The innovator of the West Coast offense, Walsh was way ahead of his time in terms of the tempo with the ball. He had the first offense predicated on timing and getting the ball out of a quarterback's hands quickly. And he had the QB to pull it off in Joe Montana. His creativity and three Super Bowl wins are why he's this high on my list.

6. Tom Landry
I was a Cowboys fan growing up and all I can remember is that hat. Landry's teams were innovative -- the Cowboys were one of the first teams to get into the shotgun and line up with three wide receivers. Not only was it fun to watch, but it was fun to play against. A class guy and two-time Super Bowl champion, Landry was responsible for making sure that the NFC East went through the Cowboys (he had 14 division titles).

7. Bill Belichick
A great football mind, what stands out about Belichick is his ability to constantly evolve both his philosophy and how players fit his system. He was really the first to usher in the era of two tight ends as receivers and spreading defenses out on offense to create better matchups. His success with New England over the past 13 years speaks for itself, with three Super Bowl wins (and two more appearances) and 12 straight outright or shared AFC East titles.

8. Bill Parcells
Parcells always inherited teams that weren't winning, but was able to turn them around using his program and his presence. When Bill Parcells steps into a room, you feel his presence. He has won everywhere he has been with a philosophy of having a big, physical defense and running the ball. And that has led to two Super Bowl wins and a terrific career.

9. John Madden
Madden simply embodied the Raiders. His teams played loose and they were confident. They were always big, physical and fast under the late Al Davis. And all Madden did was win, with seven division titles and a Super Bowl victory in his 10 seasons with Oakland. In fact, he has the highest winning percentage of any coach since 1927.

10. Paul Brown
Another big-time winner, Brown won 14 division titles, three NFL titles and four All-America Football Conference titles. He was also a big innovator, starting the practice of calling plays from the sideline and hiring a full-time staff on a year-round basis to scout players.

11. Joe Gibbs
Gibbs understood his strengths (running the football, big offensive lines) and played to them. A three-time Super Bowl champion, his teams wore you down on offense.

12. Mike Shanahan
A two-time Super Bowl winner, he really doesn't get enough credit for what he has done. His zone scheme running the football is a nightmare to defend and his teams have always been terrific closing out games when they have a lead. With Robert Griffin III, he has the most dynamic QB he has had since John Elway.

13. Tony Dungy
I have worked with and known Tony for a long time. He built up a great team in Tampa. A true player's coach, his players never wanted to disappoint him. And his teams never beat themselves. I was happy he got a Super Bowl win in Indy.

14. Curly Lambeau
The founder of the Packers and namesake of one of the most hallowed stadiums in the NFL, he won six NFL titles and eight division titles with Green Bay.

15. Tom Coughlin
A strict disciplinarian, Coughlin simply knows how to win. With two Super Bowl titles now under his belt, he's in the Hall of Fame discussion.

16. Bud Grant
A player's coach, Grant was always stoic on the sideline. He ran a wide-open offense, which he could do with Fran Tarkenton at the helm. He would be higher on the list if he'd won that elusive Super Bowl.

17. George Allen
Allen always seemed to be nervous, pacing up and down the sideline. He took care of his players and had smart teams made up of veterans. He had a .712 winning percentage in the regular season, but was only 2-7 in the playoffs.

18. Dick Vermeil
An emotional coach, Vermeil also was a workaholic. You could never prepare enough for him. I played for him in Philadelphia and he gave everyone a chance, no matter where you were drafted, something we saw again with the emergence of a onetime nobody in Kurt Warner. A Super Bowl champion with the Rams, he also won four division titles.

19. Marty Schottenheimer
An excellent football coach, Schottenheimer would be higher on this list but he kept running into John Elway in Cleveland and Kansas City. And that's part of the reason why he had a 5-13 playoff record and never reached a Super Bowl -- that and some really bad luck with fumbles. A very good coach, Schottenheimer was 200-126-1 (.613) in the regular season.

20. Marv Levy
Another player's coach, Levy had some talented teams in Buffalo and was adept at dealing with differing personalities. Even though he didn't win one, going to four straight Super Bowls is one of the all-time incredible accomplishments.