ESPN’s Chris Berman to retire(sort of)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTgx_pj6m8

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/26/report-espns-chris-berman-retiring-after-16-season/

Report: ESPN’s Chris Berman retiring after ’16 season
Posted by Zac Jackson on May 26, 2016

2me49ok.jpg

ESPN’s Chris Berman is retiring after the 2016 season, TheBigLead.com reported Thursday.

Berman, 61, is an original ESPN employee and the host of two of the network’s most popular NFL-related shows, Sunday NFL Countdown and Monday Night Countdown.

The report said Berman is in the final year of his contract and will retire sometime after the end of the season that starts this September and ends with the Super Bowl next February. ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz declined comment to TheBigLead.com on the report.

woo-hoo.gif

The report lists Trey Wingo and Suzy Kolber as potential Berman replacements. Wingo hosts NFL Live daily, and the report said there’s a “strong internal push” for Kolber to replace Berman.

ESPN has made other changes to its extensive NFL coverage in recent weeks. Ray Lewis and Cris Carter are out at ESPN, and Randy Moss and Charles Woodson are among the new analysts set to join the network’s NFL coverage.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Like it or not, he made ESPN.

And early in his career he was fun, entertaining and knew what the fuck he was talking about.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Classic Berman coverage of a classic tiebreaker going on between simultaneous games. Great stuff.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Like it or not, he made ESPN.

And early in his career he was fun, entertaining and knew what the freak he was talking about.

I can't believe I'm posting this, but I concur with @LesBaker , Berman brought a totally different style and made it entertaining, he did what many of us thought needed to be done with the sport or sports.

Now I understand why some felt he was a broken record, but IMO, it was Berman who was most associated with ESPN and the former Brown alum made sports broadcasting & reporting better IMHO...I wish him the very best and I will drink a toast to him or two over the next couple of days.
tumblr_n0jmojZ6Ir1s0t6o2o1_500.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gotta give him cred for being himself and finding his own style, and ESPN not only allowing it but rolling with it and finding more guys like him from their early days on.

That said, Berman can still suck it.

TexasRam

Legend
As much as a ramhater and prick he is I am a huge fan of originality. Some of the stuff he did was original and fun and he made Sunday's exciting for a long while.

That said, maybe retirement will allow him to finally get to work on that diet that he's put off for 40 years.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Really do not understand the animosity against Berman. The guy is an ESPN icon and brought a whole new original announcing style to sports. "he..could..go..all...the..way, back,back,back,......, and always really enjoyed the nicknames he gave players. Sad to see him go but what a great career.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I liked Berman.

Early days... He was the star on ESPN's NFL Sunday Countdown and the Sunday night NFL highlight shows.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Classic Berman coverage of a classic tiebreaker going on between simultaneous games. Great stuff.

imagine if they had the redzone channel back then. glued to the screen.

Debacled

Starter
To be fair the man had his own style.....and definitely stuck with it. For better or worse.

Personally I enjoyed him, didn't have to deal with the Steven A Smith/Skip Bayless YELL LOUDER TO MAKE MY ASININE POINT or for that matter the I'm the smartest ass on the planet schtick from Keith Olberman. Colorful commentary that really didn't change much for longer than I've been alive, but its always been engaging.