ESPN should Withhold Payment to NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
If the NFL is going to screw around with a few million dollars in pension funds for the professional refs, then ESPN should withhold part of their $10B payment to the NFL for this charade of a sport.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wow they are really tearing into the NFL right now, that was pretty brutal. I don't know how the NFL can't go and fix the issue with the refs right away, at this point the regular refs have so much leverage it's not even funny.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
bluecoconuts said:
Wow they are really tearing into the NFL right now, that was pretty brutal. I don't know how the NFL can't go and fix the issue with the refs right away, at this point the regular refs have so much leverage it's not even funny.

You would think, but as you mentioned too, I don't think the NFL front office cares. They are willing to stick with the replacement refs at the cost of a few million dollars to the real referees, and as ESPN crew talked about it being a multi-billion dollar business. Can't even fathom their position.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Well, ESPN (ie Disney) is paying the NFL an arm and a leg for a professional product, but instead is getting bush league. My guess is that many viewers are tuning out, and that this is impacting TV ratings for games. This means that advertisers and cable operators are going to be balking at paying contracted rates. Hence, Disney's lawyers are going to be arguing for reduced payments to the NFL, AND probably threatening a lawsuit as well for the NFL's material breach of contract - because the NFL is delivering a substandard product to their viewers.

Goodell really screwed up this time. This isn't just about a few players and some bounties, now we're talking serious change (billions) that will eat into the owners pockets. And Disney is much larger than the NFL, with a much bigger team of lawyers. The NFL isn't going to be able to simply bully them around like they do to everyone else.

So, my guess is that the announcers are, in part, reflecting the frustration of ESPN/Disney execs, and I'm sure there are going to be some very strong phone calls made to NFL corporate tomorrow morning, if they have not already been made.