ESPN reviews Rams 2017 draft as "near perfection"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Ramowl

Starter
http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...und-pick-no-problem-rams-drafted-well-in-2017

I have not seen this article here yet.

I think now is a good time to look back on the Goff trade. In hindsight it was definitely the right decision, and it has been supported by good picks in 2016 and 2017. It would also be fair to say that it was a win-win trade with the Titans since they got to the divisional round this year. You can't turn your team around if you stay in mediocrity and not take shots at getting the very best players when you really need them.

I am excited about the potential of that defense if we can make the right draft picks.

(PS : I am intrigued by what the Browns will do with that truckload of picks they have this year, will they manage to turn around like Titans and Rams have ?)

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I believe Greg Williams is still the Browns DC and may be interested in trading for Quinn or Barron.

Ellard80

Legend
Good find!

I can't say I totally agree - near perfection?

I'd say it was a solid/productive draft - but it would take years to see what happens with these players before the word perfection could be used.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@The Ramowl

in a perfect draft scenario a team hits on all of their picks. Even if they only hit on half of their picks,in four or five years they will suddenly have a lot of big contracts to give out all in one offseason. It can be hard to sign them all. Like zither Rams and JJ. What good are all the high picks of you can’t retain the good ones.

Cleveland would do well to trade picks for players they target in the draft or current players they they desire to reduce the volume of rookies they would have if they make all of their picks.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
How many top ten draft picks have the Browns had in the last ten years? How many games have they won in the last ten years? I expect them to reach for another "Johnny Football" type pick with one of their first rounds.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's still too early tbh. If you can get 3 starters that's a damn good draft, somewhere in that B grade range. It looks like we got 3 starters in Kupp, Johnson, and Everett, but Everett still does have to step it up next season.

Also you have Reynolds who might be something more. Maybe Ebu as well.

I mean it looks really good right now, but the long term grade will come down to how many guys start year to year with good result. On the plus side is the fact that Kupp might be a high end player in this offense. But personally I just don't like to grade a draft this close, as they tend to change dramatically from this point to, say, even three years down the road.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Want to see a "near perfection" draft? Look at the Saints...

Lattimore played at a pro bowl level for them at CB.
Ramczyk was an excellent starter for them on the OL.
Williams high end starter level play in the deep middle.
Kamara another pro bowl level player at RB.

I mean damn. Four starters with two being pro bowl level is just crazy.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

You can argue that Kupp and John Johnson III played at a Pro bowl level as well.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...und-pick-no-problem-rams-drafted-well-in-2017

I have not seen this article here yet.

I think now is a good time to look back on the Goff trade. In hindsight it was definitely the right decision, and it has been supported by good picks in 2016 and 2017. It would also be fair to say that it was a win-win trade with the Titans since they got to the divisional round this year. You can't turn your team around if you stay in mediocrity and not take shots at getting the very best players when you really need them.

I am excited about the potential of that defense if we can make the right draft picks.

(PS : I am intrigued by what the Browns will do with that truckload of picks they have this year, will they manage to turn around like Titans and Rams have ?)
Absolutely no doubt it was a GREAT Draft!! Even If FB Rodgers did wind up on the PS!!(y):pillowfight:
With no 1st rounder, I can't wait to see what McVay/Snead do now that they have a 1st rounder!!(y):D

nighttrain

Legend
Absolutely no doubt it was a GREAT Draft!! Even If FB Rodgers did wind up on the PS!!(y):pillowfight:
With no 1st rounder, I can't wait to see what McVay/Snead do now that they have a 1st rounder!!(y):D
And we have SW as our 2nd pick. nice job Mr Snead
train

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Nice to see they're high on our draft but grading a draft before year 3 is kind of a waste of time.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Williams?!?! Too soon? lol

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay but I'll let you make that argument. :D

They were excellent picks though.

Kupp could easily be ROY & Pro Bowl
train

Kamara was just on another level not only through the season but into the playoffs as well. I love Kupp but he doesn't measure up to that other kid just yet in terms of impact and level of play.

Hopefully pro bowl year two though, got big expectations for him.

nighttrain

Legend
Kamara was just on another level not only through the season but into the playoffs as well. I love Kupp but he doesn't measure up to that other kid just yet in terms of impact and level of play.

Hopefully pro bowl year two though, got big expectations for him.
no doubting Kamara is special, Kupp though was exceptional for the Rams and Goff in 3rd down situations, without him do the Rams have the highest scoring offense in NFL? I dont think so
train

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The rams get shat on tho because... they're the Rams.
I don't see it that way at all.

I see the Rams as one of the greatest franchises of all time.

They've had some rough years but they're back.

Last edited: