ESPN Monday Night Football Conference Call Transcript

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just kinda going through old PDF files that I downloaded, and came across this one. I'm running low on disk space, so I had to clean some stuff out. Just thought it was interesting. Mentioned how Brian Schottenheimer was, at the time, the longest tenured OC in the league. And as always, it's fun to see Jaws and Gruden disagree about almost everything. Even if the question is a no-brainer.

As such....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 31, 2011

Q. [ESPN] I'm just curious about the way teams are developing young quarterbacks now, maybe especially after guys like Matt Ryan, (Joe) Flacco, and even (Mark) Sanchez have had success right out of the gate. Are we seeing a trend now that's going to stay that way when teams take these quarterbacks, throw them into the fire -- I would assume both of you guys would have thought that maybe it takes two, three years before you do that. What are your guys' thoughts on that whole business?

RON JAWORSKI: I certainly am old school when it comes to quarterback development. I believe most quarterbacks are thrown to the wolves for the most part when they have to play early. I know there have been some guys when they've had success and a lot more that have had failures because they couldn't handle the pressure, they couldn't handle the beating, they couldn't handle the public outcry, being under the microscope -- all those things that affect the quarterback psyche.

I look at Aaron Rodgers, the perfect example, as I look at it, how to develop a new quarterback. He sat behind the wily veteran Brett Favre. He learned how to play the game. He learned how to be a pro. In the off-season, he spent
countless hours with Mike McCarthy learning the nuances of the game, lifting weights, running, getting bigger, getting stronger, learning all the throws, how to make every throw. He got stronger. His arm developed. To me, when he got in the game, he was ready to perform, and obviously you see the by-product of all that work is a world championship Super Bowl MVP.

So I'm kind of old school when it comes to quarterback development. I think they should sit and learn.

JON GRUDEN: I'd like to say I agree with Ron in a perfect world, but we don't live in a perfect world. There's 32 different situations, and the Cincinnati Bengals and the Carolina Panthers have different situations than the Green Bay Packers do, and we all know that. I think one of the things that's derailed the development of young quarterbacks is the constant change on coaching staffs. I think Brian Schottenheimer is the longest tenured offensive coordinator in the NFL, and he's only been with the Jets since 2006. All these quarterbacks from having to learn new systems, new relationships with coaches and players, and it's not easy.

I look at Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, all the kids from last year going through that right now. Love to see a guy sit, get acclimated, learn the system, learn the NFL, have a chance to really get connected before he gets thrown out there, but not everybody's in the same boat. Sometimes you've just got to try to survive. I've been there before, and it's tough, but you've got to try to fight through it and try to develop the best you can on the run.