Esiason: Don’t Count Out Bradford, Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
If the Rams bring him back, I don't expect many season tickets will be sold. The only reason to ever bring him back would be for a backup role and I'm not sure that's a good idea. It'd be very awkward for the players.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If the Rams bring him back, I don't expect many season tickets will be sold. The only reason to ever bring him back would be for a backup role and I'm not sure that's a good idea. It'd be very awkward for the players.

Why would it be awkward? Why would people not buy tickets? The guy was lighting it up. If he comes back he'll be competing with someone - be it a rookie, a back up and a vet so we'll be well covered if he does go down again and if he can sign a team friendly incentive laden deal I'm all for it. I'm also pretty confident he'd beat out most guys in camp and win the starter job as well. Give Sam a Chance!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm not 100% sure that Sam will not be back at some point with the Rams - as a starter.
Just don't think it's likely.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I hope he is just as long as he has serious competition. It's gotta be on the cheap though.

Rambition

Rookie
nice to hear the optimism and sentiments for sam from boomer. my opinion of him just went way up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only way Sam comes back as the starter, is if he is battling a raw, new franchise QB (1st rounder), and the kid isn't ready to go in year one. I think Sam would have to take a lot less money for this to happen.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
nice to hear the optimism and sentiments for sam from boomer. my opinion of him just went way up.
I was thinking this too..Boomer is one of my favorite talking heads, now..;)

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
The only way Sam comes back as the starter, is if he is battling a raw, new franchise QB (1st rounder), and the kid isn't ready to go in year one. I think Sam would have to take a lot less money for this to happen.

I agree with this - but just don't count on any guy coming out of the draft with the ability to be better than Bradford. The guy was No 1 overall for a reason and was going to light it up this year - so take the rookie you think is a future franchise QB and give Sam a shot - if he gets hurt its ok - we've got the new guy.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
I would like to focus on what Boomer said at the end, defenses win championships. This team is more talented top to bottom compared to last year and I think the QB play with Hill will also be superior to Clemens, which leads me to be more optimistic than most. If Greg William can get the most out of this D the Rams still have a chance to make a lot of noise and possibly a run at the playoffs.

69superbowl

Rookie
I agree that Sam will come back to the NFL. I think it will be in 2016, not next year. I'd love to have him compete for the job then. Would be a great story if nothing else.

fearsomefour

Legend
If Bradford played a position where it is comparably easy to find a solid starters, say OLB, then there would be little interest in his future and his career might well be over. The fact that Bradford plays QB, a position teams invest more time, scouting and money into to find a quality starter....and usually still fail....means he will play again if he wants to. If the Rams do not bring him back (understandable) he will not be on the market long. He will lose a bunch of money because of the injuries, but, the guy is 26. He has time to recover and if he has a couple of good years will be right back on the money train.
Whether the Rams bring him back or not, who knows? I certainly understand the position of letting him go. However, it depends on what sort of viable QB options there are for the team. If Hill comes out and has a very good season and the team does well (possible) then they just may cut bait with Bradford and resign Hill for a couple of years and try to find a rookie. If the teams stinks (possible) and the Rams end up with a high pick to land a QB they love in the draft then Sam is gone too. If neither one of those things happen, the Rams and Hill are ok but not great, and the team finishes in the 7-9 neighborhood again....they have a tough choice to make.
Best case for me is Hill comes in and tears it up and Bradford takes a cut to stay and the two can have a QB competition. If Bradford is healthy he wins this every time I think.
Will be interesting.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I expect Bradford to be back next year. Snisher still believes he can be a very good starter when healthy, and do I. They will make sure they have a very good back up plan but he will be a ram next year.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm not 100% sure that Sam will not be back at some point with the Rams - as a starter.
Just don't think it's likely.
Yeah, it will be interesting. A lot of how this comes out depends on how the season go and what options the Rams have at QB going forward. Rams cap number settles in toward the middle of the pack for starters next year (11th or 12th) I think. There will not be an option in FA or via trade that is either better than Hill or cheap. The only other option really is the draft, a crapshoot at best and a place where a high profile guy requires a high pick.
I just dont see a lot of options going forward frankly. If Hill does very well then he might be brought back on a 2 or 3 years deal to fill the gap and give the team time to develop a young guy. But, if Hill has a good year (3,800 yards and 30+ TDs) and the team does well he will not come on the cheap really.

cracengl

Rookie
It all comes down to money I think. If they can bring him back at a lot lower price that the 16+ million he's set to make, I see no reason not to do it. But I also think the days of waiting to round 6 to find developmental talent are over--we can't afford to give him the benefit of the doubt as far as health goes.

Bottom line--he's out this year and there's still a whole season and offseason left. There's really no reason to over-analyze it right now.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He's got a great arm, I am still on the fence about what to do myself. If we can get him back for cheap, on a reduced salary, then yeah, bring him back. A healthy Bradford is going to beat out any rookie for the starting job. But I still think we have to draft someone high next year. If Sam stays healthy, and we've got to sit a first round QB for a few years, so be it.

V3

Hall of Fame
Why would it be awkward? Why would people not buy tickets? The guy was lighting it up. If he comes back he'll be competing with someone - be it a rookie, a back up and a vet so we'll be well covered if he does go down again and if he can sign a team friendly incentive laden deal I'm all for it. I'm also pretty confident he'd beat out most guys in camp and win the starter job as well. Give Sam a Chance!

I've given him 5 years worth of chances. When is enough, enough? I have a strong feeling that's how most Rams fans feel as well. And I honestly think it would be very awkward to have the previous "leader of the offense" come in and backup a QB that we'll take high in the first round. Do the players in the locker room follow the rookie (who is going to be the QB of the future unless he sucks) or stick with Bradford? That kind of stuff divides a locker room.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I've given him 5 years worth of chances. When is enough, enough? I have a strong feeling that's how most Rams fans feel as well. And I honestly think it would be very awkward to have the previous "leader of the offense" come in and backup a QB that we'll take high in the first round. Do the players in the locker room follow the rookie (who is going to be the QB of the future unless he sucks) or stick with Bradford? That kind of stuff divides a locker room.

Im saying itd be highly unlikely he'd be backing up any rookie QB because he's likely better than them.

iced

I disagree - I think you're the minority.

I'd say the majority of fans want to bring him back at the very least as a back up or to compete for the new job against a new guy (either draft/Fa/ or trade) - very few want him cut out right or not brought back at all in some capacity.

A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

V3

Hall of Fame
Im saying itd be highly unlikely he'd be backing up any rookie QB because he's likely better than them.

QB's taken at the top usually play their first season. Might as well get the reps and let them learn on the job.