Eric Weddle says he won't return to Rams as backup in 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
gettyimages-1175041386.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

6 hours ago

Eric Weddle still has one year left on his contract with the Rams, but his time in Los Angeles could come to an end after only one season. With John Johnson set to return from injury in 2020 and Taylor Rapp looking like an obvious candidate to start opposite him at safety, there isn’t much room for Weddle in the future plans.
Fans know it and so does Weddle, and he made that very clear after Sunday’s win over the Cardinals. He told reporters in the locker room that he won’t be back with the Rams next season if he is a backup – and he’s fairly certain that’s what his role will be.

Here is Eric Weddle on his future with the Rams.
View image on Twitter

6:11 PM - Dec 29, 2019

Weddle had a mediocre season for the Rams in 2019, struggling to make many big plays on defense. He didn’t have a single interception for the second year in a row and only broke up four passes. He topped 100 tackles for just the fourth time in his career and started all 16 games, but his play left something to be desired.
His intangibles and leadership on the field and in the locker room are immeasurable, though. He was a big part of Rapp’s development, also helping the Rams’ other young defensive backs in their alignment and play diagnosis.

The Rams can save $4.25 million by cutting him in the offseason.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We were wondering if his legs could get him to where he wanted to go fast enough before the season started. It's apparent they couldn't.

He knows it, the rams know it.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I won’t be upset if he goes and it’s probably likely he will the cap to production ratio is way off

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
Time to go. Have fun in Baltimore with your buddies, can't believe he protected them while in our uniform. Disgraceful.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I would like to see the Rams move on from him and Matthews.
Weddle's 2020 replacements are easy to figure out. I'm not sure who replaces Matthews. If it's Ebukam and Obo, the Rams could really struggle to generate outside pressure.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If possible I think I'd hold on to Matthews, and that's assuming Fowler is gone. If they get a deal done with Fowler then Matthews is definitely gone as they'll need every penny for Ramsey.