Ereck Flowers negotiating his own contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wonder if this sparks other players to do this? Why not?

With slotted contracts it makes total sense to save the money.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...wers-not-using-agent-negotiating-his-own-deal

ereck-flowers.jpg

Ereck Flowers is saving some cash by handling his own negotiations. (Getty Images)

Of the 32 players selected in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft, 31 of them hired agents. No. 9 overall pick Ereck Flowers, an offensive tackle selected by the New York Giants out of the University of Miami, was the only one who didn't.

Now, he's negotiating his first NFL contract mostly by himself, though he is getting some occasional help from his father and a lawyer, per NJ.com, which also stated that Flowers prepared for this by reading contracts prior to the draft, as well as talking to some current and former players about what to expect. By going without an agent, Flowers will save approximately $432,000, according to NJ.com's calculations, based on a three percent agent fee on a four-year, $14.4 million contract that is slotted for the No. 9 draft pick.

Flowers was expected to play right tackle for the Giants this season but has instead swung over to the blind side due to an injury to incumbent starter Will Beatty. He said of the negotiations, "We're just talking," and "I'd rather get it done soon. But as long as it takes. Whatever it takes."

Now that No. 8 overall pick Vic Beasley has signed his deal with the Atlanta Falcons, Flowers is the highest-drafted player that remains unsigned. Because of the slotting process for rookie contracts, the only thing really left to be negotiated is "offsets," which allow players to be paid by two teams at once if released by one team and then signed by another. Negotiating the exact amount of those offsets is one thing that holds up rookie contracts from being immediately signed.

Big Willie

Starter
Based on the new CBA it might make sense for more players to negotiate their own agreements, however, agents bring more than just contract negotiation to the mix. A good agent can provide financial training and assistance, endorsement opportunities, access to influential people, as well as assist players in post-NFL career development. (I am sure I am missing a bunch more.). If those are all included in the 3 percent, an agent is probably worth it because they can make you even more money.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've also read that some agents are now negotiating rookie contracts for a flat fee, or on an hourly basis - and the percentage kicks in only for future contracts and endorsement deals.