Enough of the Rams Rookies, Let's Look at the Sophomores

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.downtownrams.com/single...eles-Rams-Rookies-Lets-Look-at-the-Sophomores

Enough of the Los Angeles Rams Rookies, Let's Look at the Sophomores

The NFL Draft is a little less than a month old and we know for the most part who the Los Angeles Rams' rookies are minus a few undrafted free agents that they might sign before training camp. However, while all of the focus has been on the rookie class, it's the sophomores fans should have their eye on.

Unlike most teams, the Rams have had the luxury of drafting for the future and not putting the pressure of starting right away on many of their rookies. When a team takes a player on day one or two of the draft, fans expect that player to be able to contribute right away. With the Rams, that hasn't been the case.

Last season the Rams had just one pick on the first two days of the draft - that player was Joe Noteboom. Not a single 2018 rookie started a game last year. However, despite no starts, the Rams got production out of John Franklin-Myers and Brian Allen and Noteboom each got limited work on the offensive line.

With that said, these players will be expected to produce after what was a "redshirt year" in college terms. Let's take a look at the Rams' sophomore class.

Round 3, Pick 89 - T Joseph Noteboom

With Rodger Saffold departing in free agency, it will be expected that Noteboom take over at guard while Andrew Whitworth plays out the final year of his contract and potentially retires. During the preseason, Noteboom didn't allow a single quarterback pressure. The Rams expect Noteboom to be ready and hit the ground running this fall.

Round 4, Pick 111 - C Brian Allen

Allen is in the same situation as Noteboom. The Rams didn't bring John Sullivan back for a third season and will be expected to come in and take over the starting role at center. Allen is a smart player and his 77.8 pass blocking grade ranked third among Rams offensive linemen on Pro Football Focus.

Round 4, Pick 135 - DE John Franklin-Myers

John Franklin-Myers became a very good situational pass rusher for the Rams last season and it should be expected that he continues in that role and continues to develop. The fourth round pick made an impact right away as a rookie, forcing a fumble against the Vikings and recovering a fumble against the Chiefs. He also sacked Tom Brady for the first time in the postseason during the Super Bowl. The Rams have a good player in the makings here.

Round 5, Pick 147 - LB Micah Kiser

In the fifth round the Rams took Micah Kiser out of Virginia Tech. Many fans expected him to contribute as a rookie, but that was not the case. Kiser had just four tackles last season on defense and seven on special teams. The Rams didn't bring back Mark Barron and Kiser will be the favorite to start inside next to Cory Littleton. He's quick diagnose plays and a tackling machine which bodes well for an inside linebacker, but with no experience as a rookie, and not a real backup option, he'll need to learn quickly.

Round 5, Pick 160 - EDGE Obo Okoronkwo

The Rams need help on the edge and they will expect Okoronkwo to contribute in year two. The 2018 fifth round pick started the season on the PUP list after having to go through a foot surgery in training camp. He was a fan favorite after the team drafted him and will have high expectations. With Dante Fowler and Clay Matthews, Okoronkwo will most likely be a situational pass rusher and will look to jump Samson Ebukam on the depth chart.

Round 6, Pick 176 - RB John Kelly

John Kelly had a superb preseason as a rookie, but when he got his opportunity in the regular season after Todd Gurley's injury, he disappointed to say the least. The Rams drafted Darrell Henderson which will take over any role that Sean McVay would have had for Kelly. He will be competing for a roster spot in training camp.

Round 6, Pick 192 - G Jamil Demby

Demby was cut by the Rams in the last round of cuts and signed by the Detroit Lions. The Rams then signed Demby off of the Lions' practice squad in December. With the team drafting Bobby Evans and David Edward as well as the undrafted free agents they have signed, it's going to be an uphill battle for Demby to make the roster.

Round 6, Pick 195 - DT Sebastian Joseph-Day

The Rams may have drafted Joseph-Day's replacement in Greg Gaines this draft. The Rams will hope the second year player sticks on the roster as good depth.

Round 6, Pick 2015 - LB Trevon Young

Young played in played two games in 2018 and recorded one fumble recovery. Young is an intriguing player that will most definitely be competing for a roster spot in camp. However, he took advantage of his opportunity last season and if he can prove to be an effective player, there will certainly be a spot for him.

Round 7, Pick 231 - LB Travin Howard

Howard signed a futures contract with the Rams in February which means they saw something in him last year. He'll get a chance to compete for a roster spot in camp.

Round 7, Pick 244 - DE Justin Lawler

Lawler played in six games and recorded six tackles as a rookie. Lawler projects as an edge defender and with that being a thin position on the Rams' roster, there will be a spot for him on the roster if plays well in camp.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams upcoming season will hinge mostly on just one of these guys. Center Brian Allen. Everyone knows "it all starts up front". If Allen has bulked up a bit and followed Ted Rath's strength and condition program, Allen and OL should be OK. He and Rams offense are going to have some growing pains with him but with Sully gone you gotta start somewhere, Kromer and Co seem to think he's ready. If not, Blythe might have to move over, and that further disrupts the continuity they built the last couple seasons.
I liked what I saw of him last TC, but he got manhandled too many times by Rams 2nd team DL, Westbrooks absolutely schooled him, which has me worried. He's had a whole year to improve, so we'll see.

Another position group VeteranRamFan and I will be scrutinizing come TC.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Brian Allen, IMHO, this is huge as Allen was not on short lists of centers in the 2018 draft and his draft profile done by Lance Zierlein, who is pretty good for an analyst had Allen rated as a 7th round pick, but Les Snead and & Aaron Kromer felt differently.

As for last season, Allen did showcase he had the type of metal and although small in stature, he battles and being a former wrestler, would have the advantage of leverage and the utilization of his hands, but I'm still, but I think of Eddie Goldman of the Chicago Bears, who gave the Rams fits and Michael Bennett too for example and how will Brain Allen hold up against players of this size?

I have confidence with Allen in his mental makeup, I feel this his the best part of his game, so I believe the line calls and adjustments will be spot on. I have not seen many of his snaps in shotgun formation, so that aspect is still a work in progress, but one thing keeps me confident that Brian Allen will be very strong center for the Los Angeles Rams and that's his play at Michigan State.

Watched many of Allen's games at MSU, including several games against The Ohio State University and the Spartans ran the ball well with Allen being the catalyst. Tough and great on a zone blocking scheme that running game coordinator and offensive line Coach Aaron Kromer employees, however, his lack of length becomes obvious when matched against opponent who can race into neutral zone off snap and Allen needs to be fast and first with his hands or his power is nullified.

As last season wore on, John Sullivan was vulnerable of not being able to get leverage and the New England Patriots exploited this plus Austin Blythe as well, who had a horrendous Super Bowl. Allen should be an upgrade over Sully last season, but until I see more games, I will always be concerned as the the backup to Allen is Austin Blythe another undersized leverage guy, unless some of the UDRFA's showcase something like Brandon Hitner of Villanova or the Rams brought back Jeremiah Kolone from last season, will he showcase the ability to play Center? Should be an interesting training camp, that is for sure.

Ram65

Legend
I have confidence in Kromer getting Noteboom and Allen up to speed but, as @den-the-coach wrote we will have to see how Allen stacks up. I like the defensive guys the Rams drafted and expect some to be significant contributors.

Round 4, Pick 135 - DE John Franklin-Myers

John Franklin-Myers became a very good situational pass rusher for the Rams last season and it should be expected that he continues in that role and continues to develop. The fourth round pick made an impact right away as a rookie, forcing a fumble against the Vikings and recovering a fumble against the Chiefs. He also sacked Tom Brady for the first time in the postseason during the Super Bowl. The Rams have a good player in the makings here.

Depth on the defensive line is so important. Not everyone can play as many downs as Donald and Suh. Look for JFM to play in the rotation and make more plays keeping Brockers and Company rested.

Round 5, Pick 160 - EDGE Obo Okoronkwo

The Rams need help on the edge and they will expect Okoronkwo to contribute in year two. The 2018 fifth round pick started the season on the PUP list after having to go through a foot surgery in training camp. He was a fan favorite after the team drafted him and will have high expectations. With Dante Fowler and Clay Matthews, Okoronkwo will most likely be a situational pass rusher and will look to jump Samson Ebukam on the depth chart.

Obo can get in some plays in the rotation he helps keep everyone else fresher. He is know for his pass rush which is always in demand. The competition for reps will make everyone better.

Round 6, Pick 195 - DT Sebastian Joseph-Day

The Rams may have drafted Joseph-Day's replacement in Greg Gaines this draft. The Rams will hope the second year player sticks on the roster as good depth.

I think he is ready to compete. He will make the roster and make some plays. he has been working out all off season.

Round 6, Pick 2015 - LB Trevon Young

Young played in played two games in 2018 and recorded one fumble recovery. Young is an intriguing player that will most definitely be competing for a roster spot in camp. However, he took advantage of his opportunity last season and if he can prove to be an effective player, there will certainly be a spot for him.

Round 7, Pick 231 - LB Travin Howard

Howard signed a futures contract with the Rams in February which means they saw something in him last year. He'll get a chance to compete for a roster spot in camp.

Round 7, Pick 244 - DE Justin Lawler

Lawler played in six games and recorded six tackles as a rookie. Lawler projects as an edge defender and with that being a thin position on the Rams' roster, there will be a spot for him on the roster if plays well in camp.

Lawler showed the most last year. They have to be ready to compete as the roster is getting stronger on defense.

Round 6, Pick 176 - RB John Kelly

John Kelly had a superb preseason as a rookie, but when he got his opportunity in the regular season after Todd Gurley's injury, he disappointed to say the least. The Rams drafted Darrell Henderson which will take over any role that Sean McVay would have had for Kelly. He will be competing for a roster spot in training camp.

Liked him in preseason but, Henderson moves him back in the depth chart.

Demby was cut by the Rams in the last round of cuts and signed by the Detroit Lions. The Rams then signed Demby off of the Lions' practice squad in December. With the team drafting Bobby Evans and David Edward as well as the undrafted free agents they have signed, it's going to be an uphill battle for Demby to make the roster.

He gets a shot.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

If he didn't get on the roster in DET he isn't going to get on the roster for the Rams. The Lions have had a poor OL for ages. Stafford was sacked like he's groceries.

fearsomefour

Legend
Looking forward to seeing how Lawler and Obo progress.
Really looking forward to seeing Franklin-Myers. He was solid last year and has room to progress.
Noteboom and Allen HAVE to be good.....there is no other option for them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams oponents defense are going to come up the middle early and often.
That's what I been thinking for some time now:eek:. Goff is truly going to have some serious facetime with some interior DL'ers in the regular season if what we saw in the SB is not remedied:dizzy:. We know there will be two changes for sure @ LG & OC.

Our HC & OC Kromer need to have a complete well thought out plan on how to fix what was totally broke in the most important Ram game in over a decade. Thus far (best I know) is the plan is to #1- move & insert a proven College 2nd yr LT Noteboom inside to OG...#2- Insert a 1 season reserve short but feisty versatile Allen LG/OC as a starter @ center & #3- have a repeat performance @ RG with Blythe.

Myself I just don't recall seeing much of Noteboom @ OG in the preseason or in cameo short appearances subbing @ OG in the Rams regular season offensive snaps. Same can be said about center Brian Allen but I am trusting of OC Kromer ability on these two. However, I feel differently about RG Austin Blythe & from I saw in the SB I can't forget. :notsure:

Ram65

Legend

If he didn't get on the roster in DET he isn't going to get on the roster for the Rams. The Lions have had a poor OL for ages. Stafford was sacked like he's groceries.

He has the size and the Rams liked him enough to bring him back. I thought he was a little too slow a foot coming in. He does know the system which can help his chances. He will get a shot. He could make the PS again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

They did that last year. And the Rams responded by getting younger and more physical at center. If you look at things from a dropoff perspective we only lost physicality at LG but Boom is young and works his technique hard.

This line should improve week to week. Key early indicator will be how they look vs a very stout Saints DL particularly in the run game.

IMO the biggest question mark on the OL is at RG. Blythe was available to us in part due to his lack of physicality as a center and got bullied down the stretch just like Sully did. Though he showed he was a nice fit for the ZBS I think the Rams are going to sub some of those young linemen in there and push him a bit.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I'm going to disagree, Demby made the Lion roster, but the Lions needed additional forces to a position (I believe it was RB) so they had to make some cuts. Demby had a choice of coming back to the Ram practice squad (because the Rams wanted him) but he chose to stay in Detroit because he had a relaitionship with the OL coach and it was closer to Maine, but the Rams still thought highly of him, so when the Rams had an opportunity to add another OL, they claimed Demby off the Lion practice squad.

There are some interesting UDRFA's like Brandon Hitner of Villanova & big Matt Kaskey out of Rams COO Kevin Demoff's alma mater Dartmouth, but Kromer did not want to lose Demby...Vincent Bonsignore tweeted about that fact often. So we will see, but I'm looking forward to the former Black Bear of Maine alum battling and maybe challenging for the RG position as the Lions have proven they believe in spreading their talent throughout the National Football League.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If McVay/Kromer lacked confidence in Boom and especially Allen, you wouldn’t know it by the way they prioritized their draft.

Their draft choices scream confidence in those two probable new OL starters.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obo is like an extra draft pick this year too. He had a full year to learn the scheme so if he is going to push for a role we had better hear positive buzz on him right out the gate in camp.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm going to disagree, Demby made the Lion roster, but the Lions needed additional forces to a position (I believe it was RB) so they had to make some cuts. Demby had a choice of coming back to the Ram practice squad (because the Rams wanted him) but he chose to stay in Detroit because he had a relaitionship with the OL coach and it was closer to Maine, but the Rams still thought highly of him, so when the Rams had an opportunity to add another OL, they claimed Demby off the Lion practice squad.

There are some interesting UDRFA's like Brandon Hitner of Villanova & big Matt Kaskey out of Rams COO Kevin Demoff's alma mater Dartmouth, but Kromer did not want to lose Demby...Vincent Bonsignore tweeted about that fact often. So we will see, but I'm looking forward to the former Black Bear of Maine alum battling and maybe challenging for the RG position as the Lions have proven they believe in spreading their talent throughout the National Football League.

I'll defer to you and @Ram65 then.

:grouphug:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I hope for your sake he steps it up and makes some noise. But damn this OL is going to have a youth movement competition going down so there will definitely be a load of pressure on the depth types.

Can't wait for camp. (y)

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Was John Kelly a big disappointment in the reg season as the article says?
I didn't remember thinking that.

I do remember thinking McVay must not trust him yet.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If McVay/Kromer lacked confidence in Boom and especially Allen, you wouldn’t know it by the way they prioritized their draft.

Their draft choices scream confidence in those two probable new OL starters.

This.

Same with letting Saffold go.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
They did that last year. And the Rams responded by getting younger and more physical at center. If you look at things from a dropoff perspective we only lost physicality at LG but Boom is young and works his technique hard.

This line should improve week to week. Key early indicator will be how they look vs a very stout Saints DL particularly in the run game.

IMO the biggest question mark on the OL is at RG. Blythe was available to us in part due to his lack of physicality as a center and got bullied down the stretch just like Sully did. Though he showed he was a nice fit for the ZBS I think the Rams are going to sub some of those young linemen in there and push him a bit.

I agree with this 100% and I have no worries about Allen or Note. I would like to add something that hasn't been mentioned about Blythe and it's why I'm not as concerned as many are here. This is Blythe chance to make a lot of money. He could score s big contract if he plays like he did in the beginning of the year. He's smart and I think he spent this offseason getting better and stronger. I have a feeling Blythe is going to do very well for us this upcoming season.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
They will definitely analyze that as our weak spot until we show them otherwise.
Our running back picking up the blitz and chip blocking linebackers will definitely be important.