END the short punts!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
@RamzFanz You are my favorite poster here by a landslide as you are Hysterically off the wall uniquely funny...Yet you sit with CoachO and actually are constantly trying to think of things to make us a more successfull team. I'm all for anything we can do and we both really like our ST's coach whom I'll bet is thinking real hard on how to force teams to kick to Tavon Austin.

I have some questions. I would love to have access to the most current injury report on the packers and as I'm sure fisher and staff have been drinking Fishers best Red wine today watching Game Film non-stop. Today Fisher Cignetti and Williams will be coming up with a WINNING SCHEME to beat the packers. "I WANT THIS WIN MORE THAN EVEN OUR DIVISION GAMES" easy to say after the fact I know. I'm gonna be looking at this game every way I can. I LOVE using that trips formation we can run 50 ways. Love Cignetti adjusting on the fly early and often and mixing things up and even when you think his calls are getting repetitive its only to set the "D" up for something big or special.

We need to have a ban on anyone saying Fire Fisher for maybe 4 weeks. Look what he has done that looks like all of his chickens have turned into Golden Geese and coming home to Gel into a respectable and possible Playoff and even yet with the benefit only of GREAT HEALTH an ELITE TEAM!!! That would mean a healthy hammy for Mason along with Gurley continuing his REDISCOVERY of his Golden Chariot Wheels he once possessed and is still in the process of becoming who he once was and even at the PRO LEVEL. Get Cunningham to work one handed with jugs machine to stop his tendacies to fumble again. Have him carry a ball everywhere and we have the poke it out drill and the ball on a bungy cord to force you to use the high and tight 3 point carry and strengthen it. We dodged a major bullet with that quick whistle.

Really love how Sted Bailey is making the most of his targets and his route running looks better and better. Everything they are doing with Tavon Austin is coming to fruition all at once. Running the Jet sweep series that has been unstopable along with his playing many different WR positions (more the better). Plus his return game. I hope Cignetti has even more creative idea's for the future and TA having the ball in his hands. Britt and Quick with sore shoulders and I remember only one Britt target as I have not re-watched the tape yet. I noticed the Kendricks lead blocking play that started Gurleys big day with his first big run in the 3rd quarter.

Our OL had a couple major screw ups as G. Rob. had his pre snap movement and Jamon Brown got his first real blowup this season. Both had bounce back plays later on and I see Barnes grading out really well and we had lots of pulling in this game. We finally started shutting the back door on zone blocking plays. Mixed in with power blocking plays that Havenstein really looks like he enjoys. This bunch is actually gelling !!! NO INJURIES!!! THANK YOU LORD!

Harkey is getting more plays and I know we all think Cook miss timed his jump on that ball and did not high point it and use his big body better to box out the honey badger and also prepare to catch that ball with his outside left hand when the defensive breakup came through. We are gonna NEED Cookie to be a successfull Playoff team. Its now or never for this high paid giant reciever. I think he can get it done IF he puts in the extra work.

On defense losing Alec Ogletree is gonna be so hard to match the Pro Bowl level AO was playing at. Since the cards double teamed and HELD Donald almost every play, other players like Long, Joyner,JL,Barron and I want to see Fairley and Ayers putting on the pressure when Brockers and Donald are taking up all the blockers. Hoping the packers did not pick up anything to stop Donald LEGALLY. I want Aaron Donald to wrap up and fall on Aaron Rodgers a couple times in Green Bay. Same with Brockers. Our backups in Westbrooks and Hayes are doing okay. HOW CLOSE IS SIMS TO RETURN? We could use him but I expect after the bye to be safe.

This will be Greg Williams toughest test yet this season. Greg has faced Rodgers with the saints and I think elsewhere. Now our guys must take advantage of every injury and missing WR and OL Rodgers is missing. Rodgers has EIGHT eyes and is Elite . If we are ever gonna be a SERIOUS contender we have to prepare to beat A. Rodgers IN GREEN BAY. LETS get this overwhelming confidence boost for this young bunch that still needs to buy into all of William' s packages as Rodgers has seen them all and beat them. We NEED to hit him VERY HARD early and keep bringing it. We won't see the same defense we just played. It will be first class though. I REALLY REALLY WANT THIS FREAKIN GAME!!! This is SO BIG for the future of our team and Lacy is not 100% but #44 would be enough if he was all they had rushing. JL must have the game of his career. Same for our DB's . The pressure has to have gap mentality with Rodgers running ability. Tarkenton style.

Lets start having great threads breaking this GB game down to every final "T". We are the best team they will have seen yet and they can't run that 3 TE crap the skins used on us with NO adjustment. LETS GO GUYS. Start digging up the info. I'm on it too. NO INJURIES!!!

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get that. My beef is with the choice of personnel.

Special teams are dangerous - the most violent collisions of all happen on STs. So, no - I don't want to use Gurley as a fair catch up back. Are we seriously talking this thru right now?

I said Gurley because I do not believe they would ever kick to him. If they do, fair catch it.

When is the last fair catch injury you've seen? I can't recall one ever myself.

Fair catching is not high risk. Neither is blocking a gunner. You just push him off track and let TA do his thing.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I said Gurley because I do not believe they would ever kick to him. If they do, fair catch it.

When is the last fair catch injury you've seen? I can't recall one ever myself.

Fair catching is not high risk. Neither is blocking a gunner. You just push him off track and let TA do his thing.

I remember a Ram gunner knocking the snot of out a guy who called for a fair catch - it was a 15 yd penalty, of course, but it happened.

But more to the point - you have Tavon deep and Gurley short - they kick it deep. Now what does Gurley do? Just run off the field or is he going to put his body in the way of the cavalry?

RamzFanz

Damnit
@RamzFanz You are my favorite poster here by a landslide as you are Hysterically off the wall uniquely funny...Yet you sit with CoachO and actually are constantly trying to think of things to make us a more successfull team.

Damn dude, very cool of you to say that. This is my second home. Love it here! :grouphug:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I remember a Ram gunner knocking the snot of out a guy who called for a fair catch - it was a 15 yd penalty, of course, but it happened.

But more to the point - you have Tavon deep and Gurley short - they kick it deep. Now what does Gurley do? Just run off the field or is he going to put his body in the way of the cavalry?

He runs toward the gunner and pushes him? It's not like he or the gunner can flying tackle each other.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Hey, set my idea aside, what else could we do?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm not wild about the idea no matter who we use but Bailey is more palatable than Gurley.

If teams want to punt short to us - thats a good thing - they aren't always going to bounce forward - and nothing stops Tavon from adjusting himself.

I'd rather the other 10 guys on the field are worrying about blocking for TA and/or blocking the punt.
You seem to be looking at the rare instances where he actually gets to handle the short punt. I think you play the percentages here and take the free yardage that teams seems to be willing to give up.

And the ONE unblocked guy you seem to be afraid of, is the guy Tavon needs to make miss anyway. There is always going to be a free defender who beats a block. Someone as elusive as Austin needs the be able to make that guy miss.

Bottom line for me, I want to play the odds and use a strategy on the norm rather than the exception.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If the punts are coming up consistently short, then Tavon should move closer to the LOS.

And it's not one guy I'm worried about - it's contact with anyone who has that much inertia.

Our punt return unit is pretty good. I wouldn't over adjust, myself.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So your response is to move Austin closer to defend the short punt, now risking them kicking it over his head and it bouncing yet even deeper into our own end.

With all due respect, you don't seem to understand this facet of the game. If you really pay close attention to the punt return units, and their alignment, you would see having someone in a short return position is not all that uncommon. They peel guys off of the LOS all the time as the ball is being snapped to set up a return. So guys are always being asked to block moving targets. In many cases guys with a full head of steam coming at them. Which seems to be your concern with this concept.

Again, if teams are going to continue to short punt the Rams they have nothing to lose (except yardage) by having someone positioned to fair catch the punt and take advantage of the strategy.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
So your response is to move Aistin closet to defend the short punt, now risking them
Kicking it over his head and it bouncing yet even deeper into our own end.

With all due respect, you don't seem to understand this facet of the game. If you really pay close attention to the punt return units, and their alignment, you would see having someone in a short return position is not all that uncommon. They peel guys off of the LOS all the time as the ball is being snapped to set up a return. So guys are always being asked to block moving targets. In many cases guys with a full head of steam coming at them. Which seems to be your concern with this concept.

Again, if teams are going to continue to short punt the Rams they have nothing to lose (except yardage) by having someone positioned to fair catch the punt and take advantage of the strategy.

Personally, I think TA has over adjusted ever since losing one over his head in the Seattle game and is setting up too far off of the LOS as it is. And I don't have a problem with someone being put back there - but I would make it a more replaceable part than Bailey and certainly Gurley.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If the punts are coming up consistently short, then Tavon should move closer to the LOS.

And it's not one guy I'm worried about - it's contact with anyone who has that much inertia.

Our punt return unit is pretty good. I wouldn't over adjust, myself.

What Coach said. You can't or they just punt it over his head.

A dude at full speed is easy to block. I'm not kidding. You use his inertia against him. A simple push from the side will do. He's also easy to force a whiff.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
How about the 3 of us monitor this as the season goes? Let's see if they adjust where Tavon stands or whether they peel a player back to play shortstop.

I'll start looking around the league and see if anyone else is doing what you guys recommend.

RamzFanz

Damnit
How about the 3 of us monitor this as the season goes? Let's see if they adjust where Tavon stands or whether they peel a player back to play shortstop.

I'll start looking around the league and see if anyone else is doing what you guys recommend.

Good idea.