END the short punts!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Every team is now short punting TA. That's respect! And it's good for field position most of the time but we need TA to handle the punts and generate big returns and scores.

I don't get why we haven't schemed for this yet?

My plan? Put Bailey short. Mr Hands. Let him FAIR CATCH ONLY. Teams have been getting bounces that hurt the punt yardage and TA won't touch the ball after it's hit the ground for the most part. If we fair caught them, we would have 10 more yards a series at least and may get teams to risk TA again.

Besides, now TA has a ready made blocker right in front of him.

We will need every yard and every opportunity against GB.

Thoughts?

bskrilla

Starter
Every team is now short punting TA. That's respect! And it's good for field position most of the time but we need TA to handle the punts and generate big returns and scores.

I don't get why we haven't schemed for this yet?

My plan? Put Bailey short. Mr Hands. Let him FAIR CATCH ONLY. Teams have been getting bounces that hurt the punt yardage and TA won't touch the ball after it's hit the ground for the most part. If we fair caught them, we would have 10 more yards a series at least and may get teams to risk TA again.

Besides, now TA has a ready made blocker right in front of him.

We will need every yard and every opportunity against GB.

Thoughts?

It's an interesting idea. I've been noticing too that no one kicks to him anymore. Just kicking it short and hoping for bounces.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's an interesting idea. I've been noticing too that no one kicks to him anymore. Just kicking it short and hoping for bounces.

Another thought is to NOT fair catch when it looks safe and pitch it to TA.

Psycho_X

Legend
I agree that wouldn't be a bad idea. Something to take advantage of it would be much preferred than just letting the ball bounce another 10-20 yards the wrong direction. If they started doing that netting teams only 30 yards a punt AND Gurley stays on a roll and this offense starts producing teams will have to start deciding... spot the Gurley train a free 20 yards instantly or take a chance on Tavon and hope your special teams can win the field position battle. Before yesterday it was a no brainer with the way our offense had been playing.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
I don't claim to be an expert, in any way at all, but wouldn't this leave us 1 blocker short further up the field? 10 on 10 at the line and gunner positions combined, then the punter and the returner as each teams 11th.
Having 2 returners would mean 1 member of the punting team would have a free shot down the field unless you can trust one guy at the line to block 2 people. Just seems like an unnecessary risk, for me.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't claim to be an expert, in any way at all, but wouldn't this leave us 1 blocker short further up the field? 10 on 10 at the line and gunner positions combined, then the punter and the returner as each teams 11th.
Having 2 returners would mean 1 member of the punting team would have a free shot down the field unless you can trust one guy at the line to block 2 people. Just seems like an unnecessary risk, for me.

Yes. But you still have the "short" player to pick him up. Besides, you get TA the ball and that gunner probably runs right past TA.

Keep in mind, this short guy is probably only fair catching to preserve the yards. Bailey is perfect for that but...

If they started doing that netting teams only 30 yards a punt AND Gurley stays on a roll and this offense starts producing teams will have to start deciding...

...Psycho gave me another idea. Make Gurley the short guy. Dude would scare the bejeezus out of teams and may never have to catch a punt! He would also be a great blocker to run behind. Mason and Cunningham are also both solid choices but the Gurley effect on ST coaches may shut the door the first punt.

The last resort for them will be kicking out of bounds and that can be awesome for the receiving team.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

It can be schemed the same way the legendary fake punt was. But instead of splitting the field, just have Bailey run to fair catch the short pooch.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
No thanks on having 6 or 7 plays a game where the other team gets to run at full steam and lay a hit on Gurley or Bailey.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
No thanks on having 6 or 7 plays a game where the other team gets to run at full steam and lay a hit on Gurley or Bailey.

You realize it's illegal to make contact with a returner who makes a fair catch signal?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You realize it's illegal to make contact with a returner who makes a fair catch signal?

I do - I also realize that you can't call for a fair catch on every punt and when you don't, you are fair game.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I do - I also realize that you can't call for a fair catch on every punt and when you don't, you are fair game.

He'd be playing an up-back role with specific instructions to fair catch anything punt that is short.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
He'd be playing an up-back role with specific instructions to fair catch anything punt that is short.
''

And if it isn't kicked short? Then what does he do with the linebackers running at full speed towards Tavon?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yes. But you still have the "short" player to pick him up. Besides, you get TA the ball and that gunner probably runs right past TA.

Keep in mind, this short guy is probably only fair catching to preserve the yards. Bailey is perfect for that but...

...Psycho gave me another idea. Make Gurley the short guy. Dude would scare the bejeezus out of teams and may never have to catch a punt! He would also be a great blocker to run behind. Mason and Cunningham are also both solid choices but the Gurley effect on ST coaches may shut the door the first punt.

The last resort for them will be kicking out of bounds and that can be awesome for the receiving team.
You should have stopped with your original thought.

Having a short man is the exact way to combat the short punt strategy. Not laterals to Austin. Take the fair catch and consider it the same as a 10-12 yard return. It's about the net yardage.

But if you were serious about the Gurley suggestion then you've lost your mind. Lol.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Well the whole point is to prevent the ball bouncing an extra 10-15 yards on punts. That's why you fair catch it. The Patriots do this quite a bit with Edelman and Amendola.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Well he whole point is to prevent the ball bouncing an extra 10-15 yards on punts

I get that. My beef is with the choice of personnel.

Special teams are dangerous - the most violent collisions of all happen on STs. So, no - I don't want to use Gurley as a fair catch up back. Are we seriously talking this thru right now?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I get that. My beef is with the choice of personnel.

Special teams are dangerous - the most violent collisions of all happen on STs. So, no - I don't want to Gurley as a fair catch up back. Are we seriously talking this thru right now?
Bailey is the guy that makes the most sense. He's gonna be out there enough on special teams anyway. And as the shower last year vs. Seattle he can serve a purpose in the return game.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Bailey is the guy that makes the most sense. He's gonna be out there enough on special teams anyway. And as the shower last year vs. Seattle he can serve a purpose in the return game.

I'm not wild about the idea no matter who we use but Bailey is more palatable than Gurley.

If teams want to punt short to us - thats a good thing - they aren't always going to bounce forward - and nothing stops Tavon from adjusting himself.

I'd rather the other 10 guys on the field are worrying about blocking for TA and/or blocking the punt.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I absolutely hate watching TA stand back there and make no attempt to get to the short punts. If they are only 10 o15 yards short you can't tell me he can't move up that far with a fair catch and make it hurt the opposition. If it take putting a guy short to make those catches it is still better than letting it roll for the extra 10 or 20 yards they always seem to get.