Emmanuel Sanders: Was a legal hit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Emmanuel Sanders: Was a legal hit

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-denver-broncos-says-hit-was-legal-ready-play

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Denver Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders said Friday he's ready to play Sunday against the Miami Dolphins and that St. Louis Rams safety Rodney McLeod made "a legal hit'' on the tackle that resulted in Sanders' concussion.

Sanders did add, however, he believed McLeod could have made more of an attempt to go for the ball rather than the hit.

"I think it was a legal hit,'' Sanders said after Friday's practice. "Obviously, [McLeod] didn't hit me in the head or lead with the head. He hit me with the shoulder. But in terms of the intentions of targeting, I feel like the guy could have had an opportunity to go for the ball, but I think his intentions the whole time were to come over and deliver a blow. That's the only thing that I'm not too happy about.

[+] Enlarge
AP Images/Charlie RiedelEmmanuel Sanders said the hit by Rams defenderRodney McLeod that led to his concussion was a legal one, but "I think his intentions the whole time were to come over and deliver a blow."

"I feel like the National Football League, although it is a violent game, you're also supposed to protect your brother. And most free safeties, they like interceptions. Obviously, his intent was to try and make a statement, and I guess he did.''

Sanders was knocked out of last Sunday's 22-7 Broncos loss on the fourth play of the second half. Peyton Manning threw a ball deep up the right sideline and McLeod arrived, with shoulder to shoulder contact, asSanders was diving to try to make the catch.

Sanders remained down on the field for several minutes until he was first helped to the Broncos' bench and then to the locker room. He had not practiced this week until taking part fully in Friday's practice.

Broncos coach John Fox said Sanders "looked good'' in the workout.

Friday was also the first time Sanders had spoken extensively about the play.

"Yeah, I remember the play,'' Sanders said. "I remember everything. I had a go ball, I had the corner one-on-one, and I had beat the corner, and I was actually open, and I was running, and I laid out for the ball, and he came over and he didn't even look at the ball the entire time, he was just looking at me and ready to hit me."

Sanders said he expects to play Sunday against the Dolphins. He is the Broncos' second-leading receiver with 67 catches -- tying his career high -- for 954 yards.

The Dolphins have the league's No. 2 defense overall as well as the league's No. 2 pass defense. Miami and the Kansas City Chiefs are the only teams in the league surrendering fewer than 210 passing yards a game, so Sanders' return to the lineup will be welcome.

"Obviously I did the concussion tests, and then they wouldn't let me back in; that was a violent hit, obviously," Sanders said. "So they had to do the right thing. But I felt good five minutes after the hit was over [that] I was back to normal and back to being myself.''

Yeah it was a legal hit and no - he doesn't have to play the ball. He just has to make sure you don't come down with it - which you didn't.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nobody intimidates the St. Louis Rams...We intimidate!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"I think it was a legal hit,'' Sanders said after Friday's practice. "Obviously, [McLeod] didn't hit me in the head or lead with the head. He hit me with the shoulder. But in terms of the intentions of targeting, I feel like the guy could have had an opportunity to go for the ball, but I think his intentions the whole time were to come over and deliver a blow. That's the only thing that I'm not too happy about
As the saying goes, " If you can't stand the heat stay out of the Kitchen!"

Yeah it was a legal hit and no - he doesn't have to play the ball. He just has to make sure you don't come down with it - which you didn't.
And a Job well done!!

Athos

Legend
hahah, or Barron. If it was either of them, he'd have been really fucked up.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Think it was a reminder that he'd already scored 1 td and wasn't going to score another! :sneaky:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Glad to see a little old school hitting being reintroduced. There's a price for going after a ball but the new rules have reduced it. I love it!

Yes Sanders was targeted, but it's his fault to forget he was playing a great defense. It's all good.

Classy move by Sandsers. You ain't suppose to be happy about getting lit up.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He has a concussion but is going to play this weekend?

I thought they cut that shit out!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If McLeod had gone for the ball with the angle that he had he would have wound up hitting Sanders in the head and would have been fined for an illegal hit. He made the only play available to him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Mcleod made the best play that he could. If he went for the ball and missed then Sanders may have caught it. If Sanders catches the ball and McLeods hit knocks him out of bounds then it is no catch and if he just knocks the ball loose obviously it is no catch. I really don't think McLeod had any chance to catch that pass and chose the only option......jar it loose.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
what a pussy. cant wait to hear what they say next week :snicker:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's like this was the 1st game of football he's ever played. When your qb hangs you out to dry like that you're gonna get hit.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I thought they were required to sit out one week after being diagnosed with a concussion based on the baseline testing

Sounds right, I don't have the details. I don't think he should be able to play this week after a hit like that. He's a tough player, for sure.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I thought they were required to sit out one week after being diagnosed with a concussion based on the baseline testing
Well, it wasn't a helmet to helmet hit, remember? Saffold, if you recall, went through the concussion protocol and played the next game, too. I think Sanders was mostly shaken up by the hit, then they kept him out for precautionary reasons.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I didn't like his comment about how McLeod should have made more effort at going for the ball...He had no shot at the ball...He did what he was supposed to do, keep him from catching the pass...He was into Sanders only a nanosecond after the ball went off his fingertips, no way he could have backed off then even if he wanted to...It appeared legal to me in regular speed, more so in slo-mo...He didn't lead with his helmet,there wasn't helmet to helmet contact...If they want to call that unsportsmanlike (defenceless player), perhaps they should also penalize Sanders for attempting to catch the ball, thus making himself defenseless...I really don't like this defenseless thing a lot of the times...I understand protecting the players, but they all knew when they decided to take $millions to play, that it was and is a contact sport where very big, athletic guys are running around at full speed...It's the nature of the game...

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Denver Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders said Friday he's ready to play Sunday against the Miami Dolphins and that St. Louis Rams safety Rodney McLeod made "a legal hit'' on the tackle that resulted in Sanders' concussion.

Sanders did add, however, he believed McLeod could have made more of an attempt to go for the ball rather than the hit.

"I think it was a legal hit,'' Sanders said after Friday's practice. "Obviously, [McLeod] didn't hit me in the head or lead with the head. He hit me with the shoulder. But in terms of the intentions of targeting, I feel like the guy could have had an opportunity to go for the ball, but I think his intentions the whole time were to come over and deliver a blow. That's the only thing that I'm not too happy about.

[+] Enlarge
AP Images/Charlie RiedelEmmanuel Sanders said the hit by Rams defenderRodney McLeod that led to his concussion was a legal one, but "I think his intentions the whole time were to come over and deliver a blow."

"I feel like the National Football League, although it is a violent game, you're also supposed to protect your brother. And most free safeties, they like interceptions. Obviously, his intent was to try and make a statement, and I guess he did.''

Sanders was knocked out of last Sunday's 22-7 Broncos loss on the fourth play of the second half. Peyton Manning threw a ball deep up the right sideline and McLeod arrived, with shoulder to shoulder contact, asSanders was diving to try to make the catch.

Sanders remained down on the field for several minutes until he was first helped to the Broncos' bench and then to the locker room. He had not practiced this week until taking part fully in Friday's practice.

Broncos coach John Fox said Sanders "looked good'' in the workout.

Friday was also the first time Sanders had spoken extensively about the play.

"Yeah, I remember the play,'' Sanders said. "I remember everything. I had a go ball, I had the corner one-on-one, and I had beat the corner, and I was actually open, and I was running, and I laid out for the ball, and he came over and he didn't even look at the ball the entire time, he was just looking at me and ready to hit me."

Sanders said he expects to play Sunday against the Dolphins. He is the Broncos' second-leading receiver with 67 catches -- tying his career high -- for 954 yards.

The Dolphins have the league's No. 2 defense overall as well as the league's No. 2 pass defense. Miami and the Kansas City Chiefs are the only teams in the league surrendering fewer than 210 passing yards a game, so Sanders' return to the lineup will be welcome.

"Obviously I did the concussion tests, and then they wouldn't let me back in; that was a violent hit, obviously," Sanders said. "So they had to do the right thing. But I felt good five minutes after the hit was over [that] I was back to normal and back to being myself.''

Yeah it was a legal hit and no - he doesn't have to play the ball. He just has to make sure you don't come down with it - which you didn't.[/QUOTE]