Ellerbe signs with Dolphins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Another blow to the Ravens;

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-ellerbe-agrees-deal-225902930--nfl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source- ... --nfl.html</a>

Linebacker Dannell Ellerbe parlayed Super Bowl success into a big payday, agreeing to a $35 million, five-year deal with the Miami Dolphins, a person with knowledge of the contract said Tuesday.

The person confirmed the agreement to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because no deal had been announced.

Ellerbe, 27, had a career-high 4 1/2 sacks last year for the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens. He started seven games and established career highs in tackles (89, second on the team) and solo tackles (66). He missed three games with an ankle injury.

With dreadlocks flying, Ellerbe proved to be a huge presence in the middle of the Baltimore defense, even after middle linebacker Ray Lewis returned from a torn triceps.

Ellerbe had eight solo tackles in the Ravens' opening playoff win over Indianapolis, and followed with nine solo tackles against Denver. He had five tackles and his first career postseason interception in Baltimore's victory over New England in the AFC title game.

With Lewis retiring, the Ravens hoped to sign Ellerbe to a long-term deal. But he proved to be too expensive for the Super Bowl champions, who faced tough salary-cap decisions.

Ellerbe signed as a rookie free agent out of Georgia in 2009 and has 14 career starts in four NFL seasons. He gives the Dolphins more youth at the position, leaving the status of nine-year veteran Karlos Dansby in doubt.

Miami was expected to be active in free agency after a fourth consecutive losing season, including a 7-9 record in 2012.

A55VA6

Legend
Ravens are just falling apart. Wonder how they'll fill these needs.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
A55VA6 said:
Ravens are just falling apart. Wonder how they'll fill these needs.

Maybe they can move back to Cleveland and merge with the Browns! :twisted:

duckhunter

Starter
Wow, didn't expect him to get that sort of money. Wonder what Wheeler gets now.

May have to look for LB help in the draft and that's fine. There's some good ones. Usually easier for a LB to make contributions earlier than some other positions.

jap

Legend
duckhunter said:
Wow, didn't expect him to get that sort of money. Wonder what Wheeler gets now.

May have to look for LB help in the draft and that's fine. There's some good ones. Usually easier for a LB to make contributions earlier than some other positions.

Well, our soon-to-be new OLB will probably be in only for 1st and 2nd downs, unless he is an outstanding pass defender.

duckhunter

Starter
I'd prefer to see Dunbar at SLB and go off on third down. He's played it before.

I'd also prefer to see them get an athletic sideline to sideline WLB with speed and great cover skills than draft primarily a SLB.

There's a deep crop of WLBs such as Ogletree, Greene, Brown, Hodges, Moore and Gooden. IMO, when the class is this strong get one while you can.

jap

Legend
duckhunter said:
I'd prefer to see Dunbar at SLB and go off on third down. He's played it before.

I'd also prefer to see them get an athletic sideline to sideline WLB with speed and great cover skills than draft primarily a SLB.

There's a deep crop of WLBs such as Ogletree, Greene, Brown, Hodges, Moore and Gooden. IMO, when the class is this strong get one while you can.

If Fish is even semi-serious about attacking da' Bears sack record, he will nab a speedster. Any WLB drafted almost has to be a good cover guy since there will be a drop off in coverage ability after the first three CB's.

We will probably add a draftee SS, maybe early, unless one of our backups is ready to step up and start.

We can use another RB. If SJ doesn't return, and if they can miss out on Lacy/Bell due to one of those 31 interfering teams, I wonder if they would consider Lattimore? Obviously, they will have to monitor his medical status very closely, but, when healthy, this is the best overall RB available to draft.

duckhunter

Starter
jap said:
duckhunter said:

If Fish is even semi-serious about attacking da' Bears sack record, he will nab a speedster. Any WLB drafted almost has to be a good cover guy since there will be a drop off in coverage ability after the first three CB's.

We will probably add a draftee SS, maybe early, unless one of our backups is ready to step up and start.

We can use another RB. If SJ doesn't return, and if they can miss out on Lacy/Bell due to one of those 31 interfering teams, I wonder if they would consider Lattimore? Obviously, they will have to monitor his medical status very closely, but, when healthy, this is the best overall RB available to draft.

Friggin Miami now took Wheeler off the market for 5 yrs and $25M, after taking Ellerbe earlier.

We need two FSs more than we need SSs. Stewart and Daniels are OK SSs, but the FS cubbard is bare unless they sign Delmas.

Personally, I don't think they take Lattimore because of the ACL injuries to both legs. Could be wrong.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
duckhunter said:
jap said:
duckhunter said:

Friggin Miami now took Wheeler off the market for 5 yrs and $25M, after taking Ellerbe earlier.

We need two FSs more than we need SSs. Stewart and Daniels are OK SSs, but the FS cubbard is bare unless they sign Delmas.

Personally, I don't think they take Lattimore because of the ACL injuries to both legs. Could be wrong.

Means they have less $ to sign Long though. Bears signed their tackle today too.