Eli Manning

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Just curious if Rams fans would take:
369/576(62.8%) 4,107 yards(7.0) 30TD/16INT 90 rating and 16 games played.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If he'd be willing to sign a one or two year deal and compete for a starting job, I'd have no problem bringing Eli in.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
It would be ironic to bring Eli here as the qb since Kurt went to NY to be the qb when Eli was drafted there! Let coach decide!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I remember a QB who went to a couple Super Bowls with a team and when the team around him deteriorated, his performance did too. Then he was picked up by two other clubs with historically bad OLines and the idiot majority called him washed up and turnover prone. Suddenly, the last team hired Russ Grimm and fortified the OLine and this turnover machine suddenly remembered how to play again.
I'm disappointed some of my fellow Ram fans have forgotten the lesson of Kurt Warner.

Bottom line, Manning is an excellent QB. Sam is an excellent QB. Hill looks pretty darned good right now. IF my beloved Rams will simply fix the OLine, any of the three are good enough to win a Super Bowl.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I remember a QB who went to a couple Super Bowls with a team and when the team around him deteriorated, his performance did too. Then he was picked up by two other clubs with historically bad OLines and the idiot majority called him washed up and turnover prone. Suddenly, the last team hired Russ Grimm and fortified the OLine and this turnover machine suddenly remembered how to play again.
I'm disappointed some of my fellow Ram fans have forgotten the lesson of Kurt Warner.

Bottom line, Manning is an excellent QB. Sam is an excellent QB. Hill looks pretty darned good right now. IF my beloved Rams will simply fix the OLine, any of the three are good enough to win a Super Bowl.

By idiot majority you mean pretty much everyone? If I remember correctly, he had problems holding on to the football before the super bowl run in Arizona as well. So he wasn't just called turnover prone, he was turnover prone. He needed 2+ years to get straight again. That decision to release him looks worse than it really was because of our extreme FO dysfunction. Had we had a regular GM and someone like Demoff in the office that decision wouldn't look so bad. Both the team and Kurt needed the move. Same with Eli, though it's a stretch to call him excellent. Better by far than anything we will find in this next draft, certainly.

moklerman

Warner-phile

I don't disagree with your point but your example is erroneous. Grimm was a major disappointment for the Cardinals and it was a mystery why Whisenhunt never fired him. Warner was the most hit QB in the league during his last hurrah and it was the playcalling and Warner's decision-making/quick release that kept the sack numbers relatively low.
The Cardinals always had trouble running the ball as well. I guess in a way, it helped Warner because if the team wasn't so bad at running and so bad at pass-protecting, I'm sure Whisenhunt wouldn't have been, begrudgingly, willing to go away from the approach on offense he was trying to implement. Not to mention that Leinart wouldn't have been hurt a couple of times allowing Warner the chance to get his job back.

moklerman

Warner-phile
By idiot majority you mean pretty much everyone? If I remember correctly, he had problems holding on to the football before the super bowl run in Arizona as well. So he wasn't just called turnover prone, he was turnover prone. He needed 2+ years to get straight again. That decision to release him looks worse than it really was because of our extreme FO dysfunction. Had we had a regular GM and someone like Demoff in the office that decision wouldn't look so bad. Both the team and Kurt needed the move. Same with Eli, though it's a stretch to call him excellent. Better by far than anything we will find in this next draft, certainly.
Why does Eli need a change of scenery? He's having a bounceback year and is really responding to the new offense that is being installed. If the Giants had Victor Cruz healthy, hadn't lost Jennings for a chunk of time and their defense wasn't a mess, they'd be in real fine shape. They just have to keep reloading on fix their defense. Eli and the offense are coming along fine.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Why does Eli need a change of scenery? He's having a bounceback year and is really responding to the new offense that is being installed. If the Giants had Victor Cruz healthy, hadn't lost Jennings for a chunk of time and their defense wasn't a mess, they'd be in real fine shape. They just have to keep reloading on fix their defense. Eli and the offense are coming along fine.

The Rams are a team that just needs 3 starters, QB, OG, and a center to contend for a SB. The Giants are much farther away. So maybe he doesn't NEED a change, but it would be beneficial to both parties I believe.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The Rams are a team that just needs 3 starters, QB, OG, and a center to contend for a SB. The Giants are much farther away. So maybe he doesn't NEED a change, but it would be beneficial to both parties I believe.
Only in general terms. Eli wouldn't go to SD when he was drafted so it seems apparent that what's good for him is being in the spotlight/big market. I don't think he'd want to come to St. Louis and compete with Bradford. I don't think he'd want to leave NY at all and certainly not to a situation where he'd be fighting for a job. If he pulls up stakes, it'll be to go to a team that is handing him the starter's role. I can see him going to the Jets or 49ers before I can imagine him coming to the Rams to compete with Bradford.

But I don't really know his contract situation either. I just don't see how the Giants could trade him or would be willing to just cut him. No team would take on his current contract nor be willing to cough up what the Giants would likely want in a trade and it would likely be a big cap hit to simply cut him. And who do they have waiting in the wings that's going to take over?

I kind of understand. Eli can be maddening at times. He can tank it in a game with the best of them. But Warner had more than one game of throwing 5 interceptions so if I'm the Giants and weighing all the information, I'm not going to get rid of my 3-time pro bowl, 2-time SB MVP QB without a seriously good looking alternative.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Even if let go by the Giants, has Eli performed so badly that no one would take him and guarantee him that he'll start?

moklerman

Warner-phile
Even if let go by the Giants, has Eli performed so badly that no one would take him and guarantee him that he'll start?
Actually, as much as I've defended Eli, something I forgot to mention that would be pertinent to the Rams acquiring him are his performances against the NFC West. He hasn't fared too well against our division and I think that would have to be considered.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I think we are missing the bigger picture here of the OP question.

IF we could acquire Manning, however unlikely, he would help the Rams. The same is true of a dozen other QBs that are also not available.

We CANNOT count on Bradford's health though I pray we bring him back. Hill is good but not ideal. Starting a rookie likely means another rebuilding year and I think we can all agree we are T I R E D of that.

If Manning were available and we didn't mortgage our future by spending so much that we couldn't retain our young talent, it would be a no brainier. Manning would perform well here. Alas, all this is mental masturbation as there is no way we will get him.