Eli Apple's Mom Told Son No Rolex at Draft Because He Was an Unemployed Dropout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...at-draft-because-he-was-an-unemployed-dropout
Eli Apple's Mom Told Son No Rolex at Draft Because He Was an Unemployed Dropout
By Kyle Newport , Featured Columnist May 5, 2016
Next ARTICLE »
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
hi-res-94dd71fdc3b31f335c532d5f1b9a5171_crop_north.jpg

Kena Krutsinger/Getty Images
Reads
Comments
Draft day is a time for athletes to show off their style as they make the leap to the pros, and some go over the top with their outfits and accessories.

High-end suits, fancy shoes, extravagant jewelry. It's all about personal preference—or what mom says you can wear.

The NFL invited former Ohio State Buckeyes cornerback Eli Apple, who declared for the draft after his redshirt sophomore season, to the 2016 NFL draft in Chicago because he was projected to be a first-round pick. As he picked out what he was going to wear for the big night, the 20-year-old had to get approval from his mom, Annie Apple.

Because momma knows best.

Annie wrote a piece for Sports Illustrated on the draft experience in which she revealed that she told her son no fancy jewelry...because he was a jobless kid right out of college.

"Eli was offered Rolex watches and diamonds to wear on draft day. I told him, 'Dude, you're an unemployed college dropout. You will not be on TV with a Rolex,'" Annie wrote. "So we decided if he needed to know what time it was, he could just look at his phone. I bought him a portable charger."

Eli may have been on his way to the NFL, but until he was drafted, he was just "an unemployed college dropout" in the eyes of his mother. Classic.

Here's what the Apples ended up going with:

0b24e04c4d4836d756d007949d2202e2_original.jpg
via AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh
The New York Giants ended Eli's unemployed days by selecting him with the 10th overall pick in the draft.

hi-res-fd0ce755a0d4229d7219c95fe4109143_crop_exact.jpg
Charles Rex Arbogast/Associated Press
Now, he should be able to wear whatever he can afford.

Them some Big Ass Apples Mrs Apple got.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I really like Mrs. Apple. She has a couple of outstanding qualities.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with him wearing a fancy watch or suit on one of the most exciting nights of his life. These kids can't accept anything their entire college careers so I have no problem with them taking advantage of benefits once they get out. It's not a big deal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All this talk about apples and all I can think about is melons

Psycho_X

Legend
That momma does know best. I wish more mommas in this country tried to instill a little humility and humbleness in their children even if they don't need to. And she does fill out that dress nicely.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Mrs Apple did a good job just teaching her son a lesson in humility!!

lol at the melon and apple jokes...but she is pretty stacked in that department if i do say so myself :yess::wow:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I will not be the guy laying on my deathbed saying "I didn't fuck enough chicks".

:sneaky:

Psycho_X

Legend
The guy on the left knows what's up all though by the angle I think he's more of an ass man. The guy on the right is obviously a Bills fan because this is how they spend their Sundays most of the time.

tuD3G2Q.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Man you dudes are dirty pervs. Speaking of which I'll bet that posterior is poppin just as much as the front end...

Anyway, that's some good parenting to keep the kid grounded like that. I approve.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am surprised Tyvis Powell went undrafted. Urban Meyer did his best to talk him up too. Then on the flip side Meyer did his best to tear down Cardale Jones and he still went in the predicted range. I guess the moral of the story is that NFL teams don't pay any attention to what a head coach is saying about draftable players........unlike the media.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Just saw her on NFLN. She is a fun person. Like it, like it a lot!