EJ Gaines has completely outplayed Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Gaines has outplayed most people and is fast becoming our best corner. That's not a reflection on Joyner who looked like he can definitely contribute.

Our secondary was a perceived weakness before the season but I'm a huge fan.

Agree 100%. I assume Gaines dropped in the draft because of his mediocre 40 time. Lucky for us!

We're not the only people noticing Gaines' all-around solid play. JJ & Tru have stepped their game up too!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Really love the way this defense is coming together and how a REALLLY bad unit a couple of years ago is looking solid for years to come. We have seen injuries to both starters and not much drop off allowing several rookies to get experience.

I wonder what stage the Rams would be in if if the RGIII trade never happened. Other than linebacker and maybe free safety, the defense looks as complete a unit as Seattles last year. With the slart cap and free agency that is tough to accomplish. Which is where Fishers coaching style may really benefit in the long run. His players like playing for himso he may be able to retain a few more UFA's than some other teams can.

A55VA6

Legend
Gaines would've been a 1st or 2nd rounder if he was faster. He's got tremendous talent and fundamentals. He's going to be good for a long time.

Joyner, early in the season he didn't play very well, got better, got hurt.. hopefully he can play these last few games and come back next year at a higher level. After next season we might have to let either Tru or Jenkins walk, so Joyner's development could be important.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I think it's a reflection on the front office and coaching staff to see a 6th round draft pick turn into a star. We clearly have the right scouts in place.
You nailed it bro! Those guys are defiantly earning their money!

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't like Joyner at slot and I'm not big on McCleod. Move Joyner to FS when he gets back.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If it comes down to a decision over Tru or Jenks, it has to be Tru. He is only getting better whereas I see JJ getting torched more and more with fewer big plays to show for it.

FRO

Legend
20 Joyner, Lamarcus DB 5-8 184 24 R Florida State
23 McLeod, Rodney S 5-10 195 24 3 Virginia

I'd say McLeod would qualify as bigger than Joyner.

You asked earlier what has McLeod done to be disliked?

How about getting beat more than a couple of times in "deep" coverage, and not reacting to the ball in the air at all. Or biting on underneath routes when he is supposed to be giving over the top support?

The TD vs. Arizona, the TD vs. Dallas, or the long second TD vs. SF come to mind.

He has been very physical, but I would rather have someone that can be trusted in coverage than another thumper who seems to go for the big hit.
First off coach, haven't talked to you in a while so it's good to hear from you. Secondly you were right about Quick, it's a big shame he got hurt. Felt like he was our best player in the early going.

Now, while there have been mistakes made by McLeod and he could be improved upon, I think he has done well. My standard of FS may have been damaged from the likes of Dahl and Butler, but I think he has done a solid job for us.

Penguin.

Rookie
Gaines ran like a high 4.4's 40 in his Mizzou day.

I have been a HUGE fan of him for a solid year or two.

http://ramsondemand.com/threads/191-rams-draft-cb-e-j-gaines-missouri.25829/#post-310986
http://ramsondemand.com/threads/how-about-ej-gaines.31020/#post-418037

These guys with great measurable like Clowney, like Jason Smith, like RGIII...they aren't the people we should want or need. We need football players like Gaines. Rodger Saffold is a football player. Tre Mason is a football player. Mark Barron is a football plaer. These guys have swagger. We need these people to help our offense and defense, to keep them firing on all cylinders.

But yes. Gaines is our best corner, followed by Janoris, followed by Trumaine. Keep McDonald out there, put Joyner at FS.

I love those 4DL, 2 LB, 3CB, 2S looks. We have the PERFECT personel for that look.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I was at the game and didn't get a chance to rewatch it yet. I noticed towards the end of the game they were playing Barron at nickel with Tru and Gaines on the outside. Did JJ get hurt? Were they trying some new formations? Just curious to see if of you noticed or knew why

RamWoodie

Legend
Not even close. It looks like Gaines is on the outside in base and nickel back in nickel. I just don't see how you put Joyner back in at nickel when he's healthy. Maybe we can have him play some back-end now at the safety spot (though I wonder if his height there will ultimately be a deficiency).
What I see is the difference between a natural CB, which is Gaines, and a "tweener", which is Joyner. The Rams simply haven't figured out what's best for Joyner, much like they're just starting to figure out the best way to use TA.

FRO

Legend
I was at the game and didn't get a chance to rewatch it yet. I noticed towards the end of the game they were playing Barron at nickel with Tru and Gaines on the outside. Did JJ get hurt? Were they trying some new formations? Just curious to see if of you noticed or knew why
Fisher wanted to rest him since he had that knee issue earlier in the year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
OK, I'ma believer ....Mizzu all the way....Now lets grab that DGB guy....get some OL's....and a QB.....What's the guys name that threw passes to DX?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The phrase I used when he was drafted was that, in the Mizzou games I watched, Gaines was a man among boys. It seemed obvious to me that a guy who had meh measurables but off the charts football intelligence would become a good NFL player. But even a Gaines booster like me was surprised how easily he made the change. He looked like a rookie for a few games and now he looks like a vet. Coaches are arrogant enough to think that they can teach any talented athlete how to play in the NFL and I think that is why football intelligence is undervalued.
It seems this regime places a high value on football intelligence. While they take some risks on tangibles - GRob, BQ - they also grab players that can simply play - McD, Gaines, Joiner, Donald, Tru. It just seems that this regime goes after pure football players over combine type numbers more so than previous staffs.