EJ Gaines has completely outplayed Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think it's a reflection on the front office and coaching staff to see a 6th round draft pick turn into a star. We clearly have the right scouts in place.

Speeps

Starter
To be fair, Joyner has been battling injuries all season. Also, this shouldnt be an indictment of Joyner, as much as it should be complimentary of Gaines play.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Some players football IQ/instincts can make up for the physical attributes that they may be lacking.

Yes Wilson is a good one, also Chris Borland.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Gaines was so pissed that Mike Evans went 1st rd and he went 6th. Dude had Evans on lockdown when he lined up on him in college and I bet he looks fwd to meeting him again in the NFL. Was EJ getting any playing time when we played the Bucs in week 2?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Joyner is a better FS than nickel, I hope Fisher and Williams realize that soon enough.

To be honest, I really wasn't all that impressed with him at FS at Florida State. And I couldn't believe that Gaines got out of round three.

Oh well. Joyner may turn out to be one whale of a player in time, but a very short FS with questionable hands would be replaceable, IMO.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Really love the way this defense is coming together and how a REALLLY bad unit a couple of years ago is looking solid for years to come. We have seen injuries to both starters and not much drop off allowing several rookies to get experience.

drsnook

UDFA
Name
drsnook
Gaines has outplayed every Ram corner since Leroy Irvin, IMO. Maybe he has a hole in his game somewhere, but no one the Rams have faced thus far have found it. Have no idea what the success rat is throwing against him, but the way he gloms onto a receiver and then slaps the ball away with one hand is just sick.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Gaines was so pissed that Mike Evans went 1st rd and he went 6th. Dude had Evans on lockdown when he lined up on him in college and I bet he looks fwd to meeting him again in the NFL. Was EJ getting any playing time when we played the Bucs in week 2?
I remember this as well. I think Mike Evans only had like 4 catches for about 40 yards. But I'm not sure if EJ was covering him.

Walter

Rookie
Not that I know what I am talking about at all regarding talent evaluation, but after watching him at mizzou it seemed he would fit well in the NFL. I was pleasantly surprised when the Rams picked him up. Especially so late.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I remember this as well. I think Mike Evans only had like 4 catches for about 40 yards. But I'm not sure if EJ was covering him.
4 catches for 8 yds with Gaines matched up with him pretty much all day from what I remember.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm not that high on Joyner.

He has some nice quickness and tackling ability even for a small guy, but seems to lack instincts to play in man coverage and needs big time work on technique.

He was a liability in coverage for us until hurt. And some night argue we got alot better once he went out.

Could he become a good player under GW's tutelage ? Sure.

He has the mental makeup to become a good NFL player but may not see enough playing time on this squad to hone his craft... Unless some folks go down.

That said, I really dislike Mcloud so would like to see Joyner get looks there.

FRO

Legend
I'm not that high on Joyner.

He has some nice quickness and tackling ability even for a small guy, but seems to lack instincts to play in man coverage and needs big time work on technique.

He was a liability in coverage for us until hurt. And some night argue we got alot better once he went out.

Could he become a good player under GW's tutelage ? Sure.

He has the mental makeup to become a good NFL player but may not see enough playing time on this squad to hone his craft... Unless some folks go down.

That said, I really dislike Mcloud so would like to see Joyner get looks there.
What has McLeod done to be disliked?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
About the same size as McLeod isn't he?
20 Joyner, Lamarcus DB 5-8 184 24 R Florida State
23 McLeod, Rodney S 5-10 195 24 3 Virginia

I'd say McLeod would qualify as bigger than Joyner.

You asked earlier what has McLeod done to be disliked?

How about getting beat more than a couple of times in "deep" coverage, and not reacting to the ball in the air at all. Or biting on underneath routes when he is supposed to be giving over the top support?

The TD vs. Arizona, the TD vs. Dallas, or the long second TD vs. SF come to mind.

He has been very physical, but I would rather have someone that can be trusted in coverage than another thumper who seems to go for the big hit.

TexasRam

Legend
McLeod gives up the deep ball way to much. Defense 101.

And it's not GW defense.

It's been going on since last year

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Gaines going late in the draft reminds me of when Jimmy Johnson was talking about when they drafted Emmit Smith. He said that the scouts were all saying that Smith was too small and too slow but Johnson said that every time that he watched tape of Smith he was making a big play.
Johnson said that sometimes you have to throw out the measurables and just go with what your eyes are seeing. LOL