EJ Gaines has completely outplayed Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Not even close. It looks like Gaines is on the outside in base and nickel back in nickel. I just don't see how you put Joyner back in at nickel when he's healthy. Maybe we can have him play some back-end now at the safety spot (though I wonder if his height there will ultimately be a deficiency).

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Just weird how we've seen this before. Pead and Stacy were good examples last year.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Joyner hasn't even been bad, he's been pretty decent there and for a rookie that's awesome. Gaines is just that good. I don't know how we can get all these talented guys on the field at once besides moving Joyner to FS.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm baffled by Gaines play. One of the best rookie corners I've ever seen. Just came right in on day 1 and dominated. Besides the KC and SF games, he's straight balled.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Joyner is a better FS than nickel, I hope Fisher and Williams realize that soon enough.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Gaines has outplayed most people and is fast becoming our best corner. That's not a reflection on Joyner who looked like he can definitely contribute.

Our secondary was a perceived weakness before the season but I'm a huge fan.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Gaines has outplayed all of our corners.

We've got good depth and I think Joyner will have a role. We've got some very versatile players. Guys like Joyner, McLeod, Barron, etc have to make Gregg Williams very excited. These guys might not fall into a traditional role but will certainly be utilized in different packages.

Greg Stone

Rookie
The phrase I used when he was drafted was that, in the Mizzou games I watched, Gaines was a man among boys. It seemed obvious to me that a guy who had meh measurables but off the charts football intelligence would become a good NFL player. But even a Gaines booster like me was surprised how easily he made the change. He looked like a rookie for a few games and now he looks like a vet. Coaches are arrogant enough to think that they can teach any talented athlete how to play in the NFL and I think that is why football intelligence is undervalued.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Gaines is the exception for rookie corners, he's playing like a vet, and a very good one at that.

Joyner has looked like a rookie, as to be expected. I still think he'll become a very good player for us.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Gaines has outplayed every corner on the team. Most draft nuts were very surprised to see him drop as far as he did. I didn't think there was any way he'd drop out of Day 2.

He's showing why.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Gaines has outplayed every corner on the team. Most draft nuts were very surprised to see him drop as far as he did. I didn't think there was any way he'd drop out of Day 2.

He's showing why.
I was stunned he was still there in the 6th. I thought for sure he was a 3rd rounder at worst.

Athos

Legend
He's outplayed every rookie corner in the draft I believe, and a heck of a lot of veterans too!

I was flabbergasted he wasn't taken in the 3rd, 4th at the latest. I really did scream "FUCK YES" when the draft ticker for the Rams popped up with EJ Gaines.

Partly b/c I'm an MU alum, partly because every other team was a fucking dumbass for letting him drop to us.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm baffled by Gaines play. One of the best rookie corners I've ever seen. Just came right in on day 1 and dominated. Besides the KC and SF games, he's straight balled.

What is even more baffling is how so many scouts and GM got his eval wrong. I recall reading that he would only fit well in a Zone pass defense scheme and that his hips were to tight to turn and cover.

Yet many many fans all said they wanted the Rams to draft him by round3. Strange how that works sometimes.

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome wondering about the little things:
What is even more baffling is how so many scouts and GM got his eval wrong.
What's really baffling is how I could get that that wrong. :eek: :LOL:

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I was hoping Gaines would pan out, but for a rookie 6th rounder to come in and play the second toughest position on the field this well is nothing short of amazing. Russell Wilson as a comparison?
Can't believe how deep in the secondary this team suddenly feels, we hit some real home runs in this last draft..

FRO

Legend
When I watched him play at Mizzou I thought he was a second or third round pick. I had no clue he was still out there when we picked him in the 6th and when we did I reacted very similarly to how I did for the Donald pick.