Eh... Does this make anyone else sick? (Brady/Amendola)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Patriots-Today---Chemistry-comes-with-time/a167c4e9-d209-4c64-8247-25794b91d30b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.patriots.com/media-center/vi ... 794b91d30b</a> I'd embed but as usual, Iz internet retarded

Honestly, I'll never be able to root against Danny but damn. I really, really, really, really wish he wouldn't have gone to those fucks. :nono:

A55VA6

Legend
I don't like Danny all that much. Even though he helped us a lot in games, there's something about him that made me feel like he was selfish / not a team guy. I still feel that way. Injury prone and will be again this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Used to love Danny, but now I gotta turn my back.

mqdefault.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well I did like Danny but now he's just another patsie so fuck him. Sorry - my hate for the patsies knows no bounds.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Here's the perfect scenario ... Danny does well, stays healthy, catches a lot from Brady and they still win nothing but their division. We get solid compensation, the Patriots get disappointment.

Next season, Danny can't keep up with his performance from 2013.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Ram Quixote with a splendid idea:
Here's the perfect scenario ... Danny does well, stays healthy, catches a lot from Brady and they still win nothing but their division. We get solid compensation, the Patriots get disappointment.

I liked DA when he was here. Now I like this scenario. It works well on two levels. :dancin:

paceram

Pro Bowler
albefree69 said:

I liked DA when he was here. Now I like this scenario. It works well on two levels. :dancin:

Stupid Question! How does the NFL decide what compensation teams get for losing their free agents and who makes these decisions? Is it just a matter of how many free agents you lose compared to how many you sign or are there other factors (How well these free agents play, etc) involved in the compensation process?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wish him well individually but hope they lose every game.

I am 100% confident the Rams made the right decision.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
paceram asked:
Stupid Question! How does the NFL decide what compensation teams get for losing their free agents and who makes these decisions? Is it just a matter of how many free agents you lose compared to how many you sign or are there other factors (How well these free agents play, etc) involved in the compensation process?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/18/3997902/nfl-compensatory-picks-formula-rules-2013-steelers-free-agency" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ree-agency</a>
The formula the NFL uses to determine compensatory picks - draft picks slotted at the end of each round starting from the third and extending to the seventh is both complicated and hidden.

The basic gist of it is teams are rewarded compensatory picks in the draft after the season they lose a player to free agency. The level of that pick depends on several factors, including salary, playing time and postseason honors of the player leaving, and the value of any player the team signs in free agency.

While it's not purely apples-to-apples, if Team A signs one player to a one-year deal for $1 million, and loses a player who signs the same contract elsewhere, they wouldn't likely receive compensation.

The player has to have entered the free agent market due to an expired contract, not a release.

To provide some context, the Steelers were awarded three 7th round picks in 2012 because they lost tight end Matt Spaeth, defensive end Nick Eason and linebacker Keyaron Fox.

That same year, Oakland received the 95th overall pick (end of the third round) because they lost cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha in 2011.

The system is largely based on net losses in free agency, preventing a team from letting one free agent go and getting a pick in return despite having signed another player to a huge deal. But even teams that sign more than they lose can get compensatory picks, depending on the value of those signed and those departing.

Not every departing player merits a compensatory pick, either.

With the cap position the Steelers are in, they can expect to say goodbye to several players, most notably, wide receiver Mike Wallace, nose tackle Casey Hampton and running back Rashard Mendenhall. Odds are outstanding they'll receive among the highest compensatory picks for Wallace, who's expected to sign a big free agent deal this offseason.

Depending on Mendenhall's contract, which is expected to be offered by a team that doesn't reside within the city limits of Pittsburgh, they may get another mid-round pick. Depending on how much Hampton would sign elsewhere for - and 0-technique nose tackles are expensive, regardless of age - the Steelers could net another pick.

They also could lose out on cornerback Keenan Lewis, who enters unrestricted free agency if the Steelers cannot sign him to a deal before March 12.

The Steelers are expected to make a competitive offer for Lewis, a third-round pick in the 2009 draft.

Other notable unrestricted free agents are left tackle Max Starks, linebacker Larry Foote and right guard Ramon Foster. While Starks was the only Steelers offensive lineman to not miss a snap in 2012, given his injury history, his next contract, if there is one, won't be for much. Neither will Foote's. Foster could sign a reasonable contract, and could merit a selection. To frame the general area of pick Foster may return upon his departure (which is expected), former Ravens OG Ben Grubbs signed a five-year, $36 million deal with New Orleans last year, and Baltimore will likely get a fourth-round pick. Foster won't sign for that much, but will still be enough to make it likely he'll return a pick.

The Steelers did not receive any compensatory picks in 2011, and, at best, will receive a seventh round pick in exchange for losing CB William Gay to Arizona last year. The other players they lost (Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Chris Kemoeatu and Bryant McFadden) did not sign anywhere else.

It's too difficult to determine a guess on which players will leave, let alone what the compensation will be in 2014, but just considering the Minnesota Vikings received the 128th overall pick for losing WR Sidney Rice, who signed a five-year, $41 million deal with Seattle in 2011, they can expect a pick somewhere in the third or fourth round.

Wallace rejected a larger contract offer from the Steelers, suggesting he intends to sign for more than that.

All told, adding possibly as high as an additional third round pick can help a team longer on salary than it is on depth.

I hope that helps. I gave you that site because it has examples of actual players and what the anticipated compensation would be.

Here's a shorter version based on the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement:
<a class="postlink" href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... ague_Draft</a>
Compensatory picks
In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.
All compensatory picks are awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7.
If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").
Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

We got Long and Cook so it's gonna be tough to have losses that compare to that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CGI_Ram said:
I wish him well individually but hope they lose every game.

I am 100% confident the Rams made the right decision.

I am too! Though I will admit I was wondering what exactly was up and if they had a concrete plan and as it turns out they had one hell of a plan.

I have huge respect for that NE ball club and I don't wish DA anything but the best. And I echo the sentiments of RQ. It works out well that way.

paceram

Pro Bowler
albefree69 said:
paceram asked:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/18/3997902/nfl-compensatory-picks-formula-rules-2013-steelers-free-agency" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ree-agency</a>
The formula the NFL uses to determine compensatory picks - draft picks slotted at the end of each round starting from the third and extending to the seventh is both complicated and hidden.

The basic gist of it is teams are rewarded compensatory picks in the draft after the season they lose a player to free agency. The level of that pick depends on several factors, including salary, playing time and postseason honors of the player leaving, and the value of any player the team signs in free agency.

While it's not purely apples-to-apples, if Team A signs one player to a one-year deal for $1 million, and loses a player who signs the same contract elsewhere, they wouldn't likely receive compensation.

The player has to have entered the free agent market due to an expired contract, not a release.

To provide some context, the Steelers were awarded three 7th round picks in 2012 because they lost tight end Matt Spaeth, defensive end Nick Eason and linebacker Keyaron Fox.

That same year, Oakland received the 95th overall pick (end of the third round) because they lost cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha in 2011.

The system is largely based on net losses in free agency, preventing a team from letting one free agent go and getting a pick in return despite having signed another player to a huge deal. But even teams that sign more than they lose can get compensatory picks, depending on the value of those signed and those departing.

Not every departing player merits a compensatory pick, either.

With the cap position the Steelers are in, they can expect to say goodbye to several players, most notably, wide receiver Mike Wallace, nose tackle Casey Hampton and running back Rashard Mendenhall. Odds are outstanding they'll receive among the highest compensatory picks for Wallace, who's expected to sign a big free agent deal this offseason.

Depending on Mendenhall's contract, which is expected to be offered by a team that doesn't reside within the city limits of Pittsburgh, they may get another mid-round pick. Depending on how much Hampton would sign elsewhere for - and 0-technique nose tackles are expensive, regardless of age - the Steelers could net another pick.

They also could lose out on cornerback Keenan Lewis, who enters unrestricted free agency if the Steelers cannot sign him to a deal before March 12.

The Steelers are expected to make a competitive offer for Lewis, a third-round pick in the 2009 draft.

Other notable unrestricted free agents are left tackle Max Starks, linebacker Larry Foote and right guard Ramon Foster. While Starks was the only Steelers offensive lineman to not miss a snap in 2012, given his injury history, his next contract, if there is one, won't be for much. Neither will Foote's. Foster could sign a reasonable contract, and could merit a selection. To frame the general area of pick Foster may return upon his departure (which is expected), former Ravens OG Ben Grubbs signed a five-year, $36 million deal with New Orleans last year, and Baltimore will likely get a fourth-round pick. Foster won't sign for that much, but will still be enough to make it likely he'll return a pick.

The Steelers did not receive any compensatory picks in 2011, and, at best, will receive a seventh round pick in exchange for losing CB William Gay to Arizona last year. The other players they lost (Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Chris Kemoeatu and Bryant McFadden) did not sign anywhere else.

It's too difficult to determine a guess on which players will leave, let alone what the compensation will be in 2014, but just considering the Minnesota Vikings received the 128th overall pick for losing WR Sidney Rice, who signed a five-year, $41 million deal with Seattle in 2011, they can expect a pick somewhere in the third or fourth round.

Wallace rejected a larger contract offer from the Steelers, suggesting he intends to sign for more than that.

All told, adding possibly as high as an additional third round pick can help a team longer on salary than it is on depth.

I hope that helps. I gave you that site because it has examples of actual players and what the anticipated compensation would be.

Here's a shorter version based on the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement:
<a class="postlink" href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... ague_Draft</a>
Compensatory picks
In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.
All compensatory picks are awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7.
If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").
Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

We got Long and Cook so it's gonna be tough to have losses that compare to that.

albefree69 - Thanks for the information on the compensation picks! It sure sounds complicated but thanks to your information at least I do have a better understanding on how it works! Thanks Again!

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
paceram said:
albefree69 said:

Not a stupid question at all. In fact, the way compensatory picks are awarded is truly arcane. The articles above seem to be saying that salary is the deciding factor, but there's also performance. I always understood there was a "loss of performance" involved. That is, for example, what DA gives the Patriots in performance would be something the Rams lost. That would be offset by what we get from Cook in performance.

Who knows what SJ will do in Atlanta.

Salary seems to be used primarily because it's hard to gauge the value of Olinemen. Considering we signed Long for relatively cheap, that could be in our favor.

We also lost Gibson, so I would bet we'd get at least one.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
The fact that they won't release the actual formula tells me that part of the decision is human in that they sit around and fine tune the compensation. I'd bet big names like Long get counted for more than say DA.

Gains:
Long
Cook
Giordano

Losses:
Gibson
SJ
DA

I'm not sure if I should put Dahl on the loss or the gain list. :rofl: :plzstop: :2funny:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I loved DA as a Ram as well ... but now he is part of the fucking enemy and I hope their season tanks big time! The Rams are what got him to where he was, and he basically told them to fuck off so fuck him!

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I agree with the general sentiment that we made the right decision letting him walk, but I can't root against Danny. He's a good guy and played his heart out for us. He was also a tremendously hard worker.

Not saying i'll root for the Pats but I wish Danny nothing but the best

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
albefree69 lists additions and subtractions:
Gains:
Long
Cook
Giordano

Losses:
Gibson
SJ
DA
Turner Added
Fletcher Added
Dahl Sort of added

This is looking pretty good for getting one or two comp picks.
Just thought I'd update this with the two I forgot about.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd think we could get as many as 3 compensatory picks.

iced

Ramhusker said:
I'd think we could get as many as 3 compensatory picks.

I only see SJ as the closest sure thing, DA Is next... after those 2, nothin.