Edge Rushers & OLB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've seen some mention of TJ Watt at our round 2 pick and I have to admit he's intriguing, but I'm having a hard time getting past his injury history. I suppose the past 18 months of being healthy counts for something, and he's got the bloodlines and all, but of all the guys I've been looking at he's been the toughest one for me to nail down in terms of where exactly I'd take him. Fit is clearly there, for me it's just that medical side.

Another guy who I would be looking hard at in that real estate from an edge position is Basham. Keep going back to those Senior Bowl workouts where he demonstrated he is on par with this class, and I personally think he's being undervalued due to level of competition and the sheer quality and depth of the DE group. Really like this player and if the Rams take him even at the top of round 2 I will be good with it.

I would think Zach Cunningham is gone well before our pick in round 2. Takk McKinley and Tim Williams are two others though who are similar and out of all these guys it's easy to think the Rams will have a couple nice and very competitively ranked prospects there in round 2 to rival even CB and TE.

Lastly I am sure some consider Haason Reddick here too, but I see him as more of an ILB. Which is also a need, incidentally. So yeah as I peruse mock drafts and compare these guys to other position groups they are extremely favorable to all of them at that round 2 spot where we will be picking.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Reddick vaulted himself into the mid first round with his Senior Bowl and Combine. We're not getting him or Zach Cunningham. Tim Williams has some pretty significant character issues, so I doubt we go after him. Takkarist McKinley might be an option. Watt is another option, and my personal choice if we had to take an outside linebacker in the first round. Watt might go in the first round, though, and I'll be sad if he does.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reddick vaulted himself into the mid first round with his Senior Bowl and Combine. We're not getting him or Zach Cunningham. Tim Williams has some pretty significant character issues, so I doubt we go after him. Takkarist McKinley might be an option. Watt is another option, and my personal choice if we had to take an outside linebacker in the first round. Watt might go in the first round, though, and I'll be sad if he does.

Well here's what I find interesting: I doubt they're all going to go before our pick.

LB is a devalued position nowadays so the ILB types are looking at slide potential on that alone in the face of the CB and edge rusher depth, not to mention TE. If I lump the four OLB/Edge guys in there (even taking out Williams) plus Reddick plus Foster something's gotta give. I seriously doubt we'll see all of those off the board, the edge rushers certainly and one of Reddick or Foster but IMO there's a good chance LB gets pushed down to us there in round 2.

And that's not considering some guys like Raekwon who are worthy of the round 2 selections, who some teams might have first or near-first round grades on.

Just noting that as I go through position groups it sure looks like fate is pushing us to go defense at that pick lol.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Well here's what I find interesting: I doubt they're all going to go before our pick.

LB is a devalued position nowadays so the ILB types are looking at slide potential on that alone in the face of the CB and edge rusher depth, not to mention TE. If I lump the four OLB/Edge guys in there (even taking out Williams) plus Reddick plus Foster something's gotta give. I seriously doubt we'll see all of those off the board, the edge rushers certainly and one of Reddick or Foster but IMO there's a good chance LB gets pushed down to us there in round 2.

And that's not considering some guys like Raekwon who are worthy of the round 2 selections, who some teams might have first or near-first round grades on.

Just noting that as I go through position groups it sure looks like fate is pushing us to go defense at that pick lol.

Believe me, I hope to fate that Foster, Reddick or Watt fall to us. I'm doubtful, but I'm hoping that what you're saying is true. :D

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think there is more of a need for interior linebackers. They need to beef up the middle and maybe even moving Tree back to the outside is a possibility. He just doesn't fit as a mlb in the 3-4 because of his lack of size to fill the gaps.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think there is more of a need for interior linebackers. They need to beef up the middle and maybe even moving Tree back to the outside is a possibility. He just doesn't fit as a mlb in the 3-4 because of his lack of size to fill the gaps.

I'm not too worried about Tree in this defense. He is going to offer advantages too, in his range and ability to get good drops on some passing downs. People don't realize how big he is, the dude is like 240 lbs.

Now Barron though... Barron's another story. So yeah I agree that ILB is a big need lol. :D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When I think of OLB....I want someone that can set the edge....first...Pass rush second....This position is highly valued in today's NFL....Probably more value at other positions at 37...like corner...but should be good value later.
I like a guy I saw at the combine named Jordan Willis....he should be available in the 2nd round. This kid looks awesome to me, and could really learn under a guy like Connor Barwin.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-biggest-risers-and-fallers-coming-out-of-the-combine/
Jordan Willis, Edge, Kansas State

Production meet athleticism. PFF’s top-graded edge defender was also a top performer in the workouts, showing great burst and surprising change-of-direction. Even the most cynical PFF analyst looked at Willis as a guy who may struggle in certain aspects of his game, particularly turning the corner as a pass-rusher, but the workouts indicate it may be more scheme-based. Regardless of his limitations, Willis was a force off the edge for Kansas State, and the NFL now has the workouts to back up his production.
Later , we could target a guy like Derek Rivers. Dude is super athletic & productive. Oh yeah, you can click these....
Carroll Phillips, Will Coleman, Joe Mathis, Josh Carraway, & Vince Biegel (no, not his teammate TJ)....all look like day 3 options as well.