Eddie Lacy is a 1st rounder

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/</a>

Alabama running back Eddie Lacy, whose draft stock had been slipping and sliding while he was unable to work out at the Scouting Combine or during his Pro Day due to a hamstring injury, finally is healthy enough to run for scouts.

He ran today in Tuscaloosa, and at least one account has Lacy running very fast for a 230-pound tailback.

Via Mark Edwards of the Anniston (Ala.) Star, Lacy unofficially ran a pair of 4.4-second 40-yard dashes.

It’s unclear whether that’s 4.40 or 4.49 or somewhere in between. And it remains to be seen whether other stopwatches showed slower times.

Still, the fact that Lacy was able to run and that he apparently ran at least in the mid-four-second range is good news for a guy who would be, in our view, a great fit for the Steelers at No. 16.

Of course 40 times aren't everything, but it shows that he isn't "slow." This basically makes him a lock 1st round pick. If the Rams want him, they might have to use 22 and 16 (which more I think about makes perfect sense).

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Meh. .1 second difference.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lacy and Austin in the first and I am ecstatic. Plenty of safeties to be had in second round.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Shawnbb158 said:

+1..... 4.58/4.62, that would have been 15th at the combine among RBs.

IMO he isnt a first round RB. He is a tough between the tackles runner that lacks speed, explosion, and pass catching ability. He is Michael Turner Reincarnated. I'd pass on him 7 days a week and twice on Sunday if he was there at 22.

Just because he is the consensus #1 RB, doesnt entitle him to be a first round pick.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Not sure if I would draft him early in first.
But yeah if you want a big back to run between the tackles, sure later in the first.
He's very similar to S. Jax in how he ran in school.

The thing is he's a pure running back. Some of these other cats you see people propping up as top choices like Ball are 1 cut backs that have always run out of zone blocking schemes or have spent most of the time running out of a spread offense. Can they run out of a power scheme? Some can adapt some can't.

If a coach like say Fisher is a steadfast run first coach who likes the power running game as the main part of his strategy they could fall in love with him.
And as a playmaker choice, he gets 250 touches / season. WR maybe 70. Math thing.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
libertadrocks said:
Shawnbb158 said:

IMO he isnt a first round RB. He is a tough between the tackles runner that lacks speed, explosion, and pass catching ability. He is Michael Turner Reincarnated. I'd pass on him 7 days a week and twice on Sunday if he was there at 22.

Just because he is the consensus #1 RB, doesnt entitle him to be a first round pick.

You may be upset on draft day simply because lacy much like Trent Richardson last year is a,Fisher style rb and Fisher just may take him if available at 22

And I would compare him more to an Eddie George style but I dont see having an Eddie George or Michael Turner style back as a bad thing

Angry Ram

libertadrocks said:
Shawnbb158 said:

Some of the names being touted here and their 40 times at the combine:

Montee Ball 4.66

Gio Bernard 4.53

Joseph Randle (by me) 4.63

Most of the RBs that ran the combine had 4.5-4.8s. Eddie is right on par w/ them. Besides, is 4.58 vs. 4.53 that much of a difference?

Eddie Lacy is a stud w/ a lethal spin move. He's going to have a great career.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Rabid Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
Shawnbb158 said:

You may be upset on draft day simply because lacy much like Trent Richardson last year is a,Fisher style rb and Fisher just may take him if available at 22

And I would compare him more to an Eddie George style but I dont see having an Eddie George or Michael Turner style back as a bad thing

I loved T Rich coming out of school last year. He was a freak. Lacy is a completely different RB. He'll be over drafted because of the lack of elite RB talent in this years draft.

If you are willing to settle for a prospect that compares to Michael Turner in the first round, go ahead and take him. His teammate, TJ Yeldon, is a first round RB talent. Lacy is not. I liked Ingram more coming out of school and time has shown he was probably overdrafted when he came off the board at 25.

Angry Ram

libertadrocks said:
Rabid Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
Shawnbb158 said:

I loved T Rich coming out of school last year. He was a freak. Lacy is a completely different RB. He'll be over drafted because of the lack of elite RB talent in this years draft.

If you are willing to settle for a prospect that compares to Michael Turner in the first round, go ahead and take him. His teammate, TJ Yeldon, is a first round RB talent. Lacy is not. I liked Ingram more coming out of school and time has shown he was probably overdrafted when he came off the board at 25.

You mean the same Michael Turner who had 10+ TDs every year since he signed with the Falcons? The same Michael Turner who had damn near 2000 yards in 2008? Michael Turner was already in the league, so he had some pro wear on him, plus Atlanta gave him the ball waaaaaay too much. 300+ carries in 3 of his 6 seasons.

Shoot...I'd take that fresh out of college. Along w/ Isaiah Pead/Daryl Richardson I wouldn't expect Eddie Lacy to get 300+ carries.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
Rabid Ram said:
libertadrocks said:
Shawnbb158 said:

You mean the same Michael Turner who had 10+ TDs every year since he signed with the Falcons? The same Michael Turner who had damn near 2000 yards in 2008? Michael Turner was already in the league, so he had some pro wear on him, plus Atlanta gave him the ball waaaaaay too much. 300+ carries in 3 of his 6 seasons.

Shoot...I'd take that fresh out of college. Along w/ Isaiah Pead/Daryl Richardson I wouldn't expect Eddie Lacy to get 300+ carries.

Im not arguing that Lacy wouldn't complement our current stable of RBs nicely. Just that he is not a first round talent. I actually think he is the best RB in this draft to complement Pead and Richardson.

He is what he is though. You cannot argue that he is a complete back. I would do a back flip in joy if we got him in the second round. IMO only complete RBs and those that have a stable of exceptionable traits should be first rounder.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Eddie Lacy just said on NFLN that if he would have eaten a banana, that he would have had a better workout. I hate excuses.

He petered out at the end of his workout. If he wasn't ready, he probably shouldn't have worked out yet.

F. Mulder

Starter
I feel about Lacey like I do Patterson but for different reasons. I'd take either but not at 16/22.

Patterson screams boom/bust to me and strikes me as the type of pick a more established team could possibly risk due to having the talent to compensate should he not make it. The Rams don't have that luxury IMO. Now if he somehow slid out of the first then that's different (although it is highly unlikely I know).

With Lacey I think he is a nice back in kind of a generic RB class. I'm not so sure he is that much better than some of the 3rd-6th rated RBs. He always seems nicked, ran behind a basic NFL OL in Bama, and would come to a team that used a high 2nd on a RB, have a true change of pace back in Richardson, and think Gannaway can be the big back. Am I saying we are set at RB or don't need another one-absolutely not. But I can't help but feel that some potentially really good RBs might be there in the mid-rounds. Now if Lacey somehow fell out of the first......... :shifty:

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I like Lacy at 22, been on his bandwagon for a while. I have faith in the staff tho and if they don't take him ill be cool with it.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Eddie can catch the ball, pass protect and has light feet. Also has great vision!IM in the draft him camp at 22. But I do love me some Sylvester Williams DT

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
F. Mulder said:
I feel about Lacey like I do Patterson but for different reasons. I'd take either but not at 16/22.

Patterson screams boom/bust to me and strikes me as the type of pick a more established team could possibly risk due to having the talent to compensate should he not make it. The Rams don't have that luxury IMO. Now if he somehow slid out of the first then that's different (although it is highly unlikely I know).

With Lacey I think he is a nice back in kind of a generic RB class. I'm not so sure he is that much better than some of the 3rd-6th rated RBs. He always seems nicked, ran behind a basic NFL OL in Bama, and would come to a team that used a high 2nd on a RB, have a true change of pace back in Richardson, and think Gannaway can be the big back. Am I saying we are set at RB or don't need another one-absolutely not. But I can't help but feel that some potentially really good RBs might be there in the mid-rounds. Now if Lacey somehow fell out of the first......... :shifty:

Lacy scream Lendale White to me. Poor work ethic, big time school and OL inflating his production. Plus the guy is always in the shop. Never wanted him before, and even less so now.

I'd like Ogletree but he's a dumb player, apparently. And as Jimmy Johnson said, hit me in the head with a shovel if I draft another dumb player.

Have you noticed that none of the Wonderlic scores have leaked out this year?

F. Mulder

Starter
max said:
F. Mulder said:

Lacy scream Lendale White to me. Poor work ethic, big time school and OL inflating his production. Plus the guy is always in the shop. Never wanted him before, and even less so now.

I'd like Ogletree but he's a dumb player, apparently. And as Jimmy Johnson said, hit me in the head with a shovel if I draft another dumb player.

Have you noticed that none of the Wonderlic scores have leaked out this year?

I've heard/read that about Ogletree as well but wonder if they would pass on him. What are your thoughts about Patterson then? He is supposedly questionable on work ethic, off-field issues, possible intelligence issues??

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From everything I read, his conditioning was poor at his workout. 40 time isn't concerning. I figured he'd run in the mid 4.5s. But I don't like that he's out of shape.

I prefer Gio Bernard to Lacy and I don't have Lacy as a 1st rounder.

F. Mulder

Starter
jrry32 said:
From everything I read, his conditioning was poor at his workout. 40 time isn't concerning. I figured he'd run in the mid 4.5s. But I don't like that he's out of shape.

I prefer Gio Bernard to Lacy and I don't have Lacy as a 1st rounder.

Do you like any of the other backs in the mid-rounds? Bell (either), Franklin, the back out of A&M (Michael)? What about if Lacy is there in the 2nd?