Eddie George & Georgia Coach Mark Richt Talk Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Former Titans running back Eddie George, who played eight seasons for Jeff Fisher on the Oilers and Titans, joined The Imig, Montez and Moe Show on Friday. The Rams’ drafting Todd Gurley in the first round of this year’s draft drew many comparisons to Fisher selecting George in the 1990s. George talked about Gurley and Fisher along with several other Rams-related topics.

Listen to George Talk Rams

Some Highlights:

What was your reaction to the Rams taking Todd Gurley?

"Actually, I was a bit surprised. I thought it was a great pick for Jeff. I know the type of player he's looking to have, that he needs to have in the backfield to be a bell-ringer for him and the type philsophy that we wants."

How will Gurley affect the Rams?

"I think now he can really make a serious run in that division with the type of back Gurley is, provided he stays healthy...and really how Nick Foles comes into the whole mix. I'm really excited to see what Jeff has been building the last three years. Every year he's done an outstanding job of bringing it together for the draft."

Have you been able to talk to Jeff Fisher about the draft?

"I haven't had a chance as of yet. The last couple of years I've texted him to let him know he's done an outstanding job. This year in particular I just said 'Great pick, you got a beast of a running back.' I'm pretty sure we'll have a chance to talk...I may come down and check him out during training camp."

Fisher said he envisions Gurley kind of like a St. Louis version of you at running back. Thoughts on those comments?

"Ironically enough, I was watching a game last year with Todd playing on CBS...and he was an absolute monster and throughout the telecast they compared him to me. The speed and soforth and I can definitely see that. He has the ability to beat you up in between the tackles, but he creates his own space. He can set up his blocks, he has excellent vision, excellent feet. His runs after content...that's what you want to see. If he can stay healthy, he can be a Pro Bowl running back."

What can you say about Fisher that has made him a mainstay coach in the NFL?

"I think slow and steady wins the race. He's not going out getting the sexy draft picks (just to excite the fan base). He's going to build household names. We're so enamored with quick results and winning it right now. It takes time to build a championship team. You've got to be patient. Our first three or four years (in Tennessee), we were 8-18. We were a vagabond team, we didn't have a home. Then we turned the corner and put together some great wins. I think that's the same formula he's applying to the St. Louis Rams. I think he's on the trajectory of putting together a playoff-caliber team that you guys will appreciate."

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...aying-for-Jeff-Fisher-and-His-Philosophy.aspx

=================

Georgia Head Coach Mark Richt Talks about Rams first round pick, RB Todd Gurley. He talks about what kind of a player Gurley is, as well as, what kind of a person he is. He also talks a little about the hiring of former Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer.

Listen to Richt Talk Gurley

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would love to be ' a Fly on the wall ' when Gurley and George meet!!:D

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mark Richt: Why Gurley is the Best RB He’s Ever Coached or Ever Seen In Person

Georgia Head Coach Mark Richt joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about the RB Todd Gurley, what makes him such a good RB, Alec Ogletree, Schottenheimer joining the Bulldogs, and the upcoming SEC season.

Listen to Richt Talk Gurley

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk here but George was not very good IMO. He was slow and barely averaged 3.6 yards per carry.

I think Gurley has way more potential than that.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk here but George was not very good IMO. He was slow and barely averaged 3.6 yards per carry.

I think Gurley has way more potential than that.

While I certainly hope that Gurley turns out to be better than George, Eddie was no slouch. It wasn't just the 3.6 yds - it was the beating that he put on defenses while taking those 3.6

He was a load and it made playing the Titans pretty difficult.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
George was not very good IMO.

4547755c16e559dfddad6f7a725e499f9ac9169e0f2683db0b1f805c48943723.jpg

1996: 1,368 yds 8tds
1997: 1,399 yds 6tds
1998: 1,294 yds 5tds
1999: 1,304 yds 9tds
2000: 1,509 yds 14tds
2001: 939 yds 5 tds
2002: 1,165 yds 12 tds
2003: 1,031 yds 5 tds
2004: 432 yds 4 tds

He rushed over 1,000 yds in 7 of his 9 seasons. Was the offensive rookie of the year. Went to four pro bowls. And was first team all pro in 2000. Id say he was a little better than not very good.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I don't see any similarities to George other than height. TG has world class speed, while at the same time he is elusive. George was more of an upright runner. He was a plodder that used his big body to wear down a defense. George was a very good player for a long time, and I don't want to come across as being critical of the man, but Gurley has all the tools to be an elite back.