Ebola

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
co442.jpg

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
On a real note. This shit ain't no joke. It makes me nervous. It takes up to 3 weeks to show signs. So imaging the amount of people you meet over the course of 3 weeks. And the amount of people those people meet in 3 week. And those people, and those people. I'm almost certain that it can only transfer through fluids but that isn't enough to put my mind at ease.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
My girlfriend actually works at the hospital that guy with Ebola was admitted to. Luckily, she injured her foot in St. Louis jumping up and down after a Cowboys TD :shades:, and hasn't been to work since. I guess the zombie apocalypse starts in Dallas!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I believe the book The Hot Zone documents the last Ebola outbreak in the early 90's. I haven't read it yet, but it's next up on my Kindle. Nothing like a bit of non-fiction horror to help soothe the nerves.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I read the book "Executive Orders" by Tom Clancy several years ago wherein Ebola was weaponized and used for attacking the U.S. ,travel restrictions were imposed and the threat eventually subsided ,seems there was something about succeeding generations of the virus became less virulent .
The shit is no joke, but FWIW I think joking about it hurts nothing,unfortunately the professionally offended are even seizing this to attempt to control speech.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-jaguars-apologize-for-ebola-sign-20141006-story.html

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Umm, wasn't the ebola case in Texas shown to be untrue?

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No, there was a dumb ass that falsly reported it. But it is a very real issue. They are now considering charges against the Liberian man for falsifying documentation that would have otherwise not allowed him to travel to the US.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ebola is serious, but the threat against us is very minimal. Its not easy to really spread, especially among well developed countries. I wouldn't be too worried of a widespread outbreak. CDC has continued to say there's no risk of that in the US.

fearsomefour

Legend
I believe the book The Hot Zone documents the last Ebola outbreak in the early 90's. I haven't read it yet, but it's next up on my Kindle. Nothing like a bit of non-fiction horror to help soothe the nerves.
Great book. Scary book.

fearsomefour

Legend
over 30,000 people have died in the US on average for the past 10, 20 years due to auto accidents. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

about 604 have died due to ebola in one of the worst outbreaks ever in planet earths history. http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/16/health/ebola-africa-update/

i'm all for quarantining stupid drivers if thats what it takes.
Depends how you look at it I suppose. Historically epidemics have wiped out large swaths of populations before. It is sort of arrogant to think we are immune to this happening again. To me it is negligent to not put in some pretty serious measures to stop travelers coming from those countries, or screen them, hold them for an observation period ect., however one would want to do it.
About 3,400 confirmed deaths now in West Africa. Will be damn lucky to stop that number before it hits 10,000. The problem with epidemics is those number jump in a big way very quickly. The road from 10,000 to 100,000 can be amazingly short. With a death rate hanging around 70% it is energy well invested to do all that can be do to prevent this coming here. If someone experience inconvenience or is offended by the process, who cares?

fearsomefour

Legend
No, there was a dumb ass that falsly reported it. But it is a very real issue. They are now considering charges against the Liberian man for falsifying documentation that would have otherwise not allowed him to travel to the US.
Shocking by the way.
Borders open ect. Living in a state of delusion, our "leadership" is.
Dont you think if someone thinks they may be infected and they have the means they would jump on a flight to a western nation to seek medical attention?

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shocking by the way.
Borders open ect. Living in a state of delusion, our "leadership" is.
Dont you think if someone thinks they may be infected and they have the means they would jump on a flight to a western nation to seek medical attention?
surprised this isnt a method used by "terrorists" to attack the US with. probably too "quiet' for them, proving that its not deaths that terrorists want, just attention.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
surprised this isnt a method used by "terrorists" to attack the US with. probably too "quiet' for them, proving that its not deaths that terrorists want, just attention.

From what I read this has been mentioned before by terrorist factions.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well it would seem too hard to predict the effectiveness. If it spread fast enough and far enough certainly could have a profound temporary effect on the economy.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well it would seem too hard to predict the effectiveness. If it spread fast enough and far enough certainly could have a profound temporary effect on the economy.

It wouldn't though, at least not in a developed country such as ours. It's likely found fast and contained fast, we have the infrastructure and means to do it. These types of disease are easy to spread through undeveloped areas that are ripe with over population, have little to no good hygiene habits (or the ability), and don't have the money or infrastructure to contain and treat them. Which is why panicking over Ebola, especially now, is totally unnecessary. The reason why our government isn't in a big panic making rash decisions (and make no mistake, those who are calling for extreme measures now wouldn't be doing so if they were in power, they're just using this as another way to criticize for their own benefit) is because they know it would cause is far more harm to do so. The CDC has plans for everything, they even have a zombie outbreak plan and that's a "disease" that doesn't even exist (which an outbreak of that type wouldn't gain legs in the US either as it too would be quickly contained and stomped out).. They know what they're doing though, and they know about the disease. As long as everyone doesn't go romp around in the excrement of Ebola victims we'll be fine. There likely will be a few more victims, and some may die, but those are likely going to be those who went to help and either got really unlucky or didn't follow proper procedures to protect themselves against exposure when they were in close contact with others known to have the disease.

If anyone is worried and feel sick then go to the doctors and get the test, you'll know in about 2 days. Otherwise relax and live your life and be happy you were lucky enough to be born to a highly developed nation.(y)

Also that entire post isn't just meant for you, just really the first two sentences, the rest is just kind of thoughts on the matter since I'm seeing more people (not just here, but around home too) start to get worried... Especially when they watch the news hype it all up for the ratings.

fearsomefour

Legend
It wouldn't though, at least not in a developed country such as ours. It's likely found fast and contained fast, we have the infrastructure and means to do it. These types of disease are easy to spread through undeveloped areas that are ripe with over population, have little to no good hygiene habits (or the ability), and don't have the money or infrastructure to contain and treat them. Which is why panicking over Ebola, especially now, is totally unnecessary. The reason why our government isn't in a big panic making rash decisions (and make no mistake, those who are calling for extreme measures now wouldn't be doing so if they were in power, they're just using this as another way to criticize for their own benefit) is because they know it would cause is far more harm to do so. The CDC has plans for everything, they even have a zombie outbreak plan and that's a "disease" that doesn't even exist (which an outbreak of that type wouldn't gain legs in the US either as it too would be quickly contained and stomped out).. They know what they're doing though, and they know about the disease. As long as everyone doesn't go romp around in the excrement of Ebola victims we'll be fine. There likely will be a few more victims, and some may die, but those are likely going to be those who went to help and either got really unlucky or didn't follow proper procedures to protect themselves against exposure when they were in close contact with others known to have the disease.

If anyone is worried and feel sick then go to the doctors and get the test, you'll know in about 2 days. Otherwise relax and live your life and be happy you were lucky enough to be born to a highly developed nation.(y)

Also that entire post isn't just meant for you, just really the first two sentences, the rest is just kind of thoughts on the matter since I'm seeing more people (not just here, but around home too) start to get worried... Especially when they watch the news hype it all up for the ratings.
A lot of truth in what you are saying. Just because can be contained....how easily, who knows....doesn't mean there should be no efforts made. Testing people for elevated temps as they get off planes seems like window dressing to me as the person can not show symptoms for awhile.
I am not overtly worried at it. I do think others that know they have been exposed will come here looking for treatment.