Eating Crow on Kelvin Benjamin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Man have I been proven ridiculously wrong. I thought he was way to super raw, with terrible hands, a spacey mind that wasn't always focused on the play, and would take quite some time to make an impact. At the same time, I figured he'd be the better player over Mike Evans. But, I know some Rams fans really liked him. I didn't really, at all.

Big time wrong.

He's had a huge impact for the Panthers.

281 yards and 3 TDs through 3.5ish games.

Stewart at fault for that last TD, awful play. In his defence he's actually healthy for the first time in the last 5 years.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I thought the same thing. I was wrong about him, he's looked great thus far. However, I'm not sure how much of that is on the teams he's played. He's played some real bad secondaries so far.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Same for me, did not think he was close to worth a 1st round pick. I was very wrong, he has been a stud. I think one thing that helped is that he basically became the #1 WR and best we on the team and the go to guy the second he was drafted.

jjab360

Legend
He just looked like an NFL receiver to me, a man amongst boys at the college level. Didn't see why everyone called him so raw, he ran pro routes at Florida State and made all the tough catches. I did have questions about his hands, though.

A55VA6

Legend
I really liked Benjamin coming out of college. Thought it was close between he and Evans as the 2nd best WR in the draft. He's got a bit of Calvin Johnson in him. His size and jump ball ability is what will make him successful in the NFL for a long time, I think.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He just looked like an NFL receiver to me, a man amongst boys at the college level. Didn't see why everyone called him so raw, he ran pro routes at Florida State and made all the tough catches. I did have questions about his hands, though.

He was considered raw because he was not a very good route runner, had bad hands, and had intelligence questions regarding learning playbooks and such. He basically just relied on his size mostly at FSU.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Another guy who I considered not committed due to his physique....I mean, he looked terrible with his shirt off. Flabby and no muscle tone says to me for a skill position player, undisciplined. so wrong here too....didn't like Evans too much either. WR's are hard to grade.

jjab360

Legend
He was considered raw because he was not a very good route runner, had bad hands, and had intelligence questions regarding learning playbooks and such. He basically just relied on his size mostly at FSU.
I disagree on the route running, thought he was very underrated in that regards. As for learning playbooks, that's all speculation to me, football intelligence seemed fine imo, never saw any glaring mental mistakes.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I disagree on the route running, thought he was very underrated in that regards. As for learning playbooks, that's all speculation to me, football intelligence seemed fine imo, never saw any glaring mental mistakes.

I'm just saying what was out there. I was very very underwhelmed by his route running myself and I saw every game he played. And for the playbooks thing, I think I heard somewhere he failed classes and didn't seem very bright in interviews, so they kind of just translated it to that. Not saying it's true or not, but it was out there.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I liked Benjamin a lot more than Evans in the draft.

Tap the breaks though, a lot can happen over time. Stephen Hill had a big game or two in his rookie year and he's essentially flamed out. I think Benjamin is the real deal, but who knows!

jjab360

Legend
I liked Benjamin a lot more than Evans in the draft.

Tap the breaks though, a lot can happen over time. Stephen Hill had a big game or two in his rookie year and he's essentially flamed out. I think Benjamin is the real deal, but who knows!
Benjamin already has more receiving yards than Hill had his entire rookie year.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Benjamin already has more receiving yards than Hill had his entire rookie year.
I'm aware. I already said I think Benjamin is the real deal. Just take my comment for what it's worth (not much, but still)...(y)

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Man have I been proven ridiculously wrong. I thought he was way to super raw, with terrible hands, a spacey mind that wasn't always focused on the play, and would take quite some time to make an impact. At the same time, I figured he'd be the better player over Mike Evans. But, I know some Rams fans really liked him. I didn't really, at all.prob

Big time wrong.

He's had a huge impact for the Panthers.

281 yards and 3 TDs through 3.5ish games.

If he was playing for us what you thought about him would probably have been true. I thought the same about him as well - but I think I realized he had freak potential with that height/weight/speed combo.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
He should be on the bench while he develops into a starter.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
It's so tough for scouts to judge. There's so many players who have obvious talent, but don't seem dedicated. Drafting the underachievers who bust will get you fired, but passing on the potential busts like Jefferies or Benjamin can get you fired too. Count me in on being wrong on both these guys.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I was really, really hoping Snead was going to pull the trigger if we got a chance, but with us having Brian Quick already they really are the same type of receiver and Snead seems to be a GM that wants a balanced receiving core instead of two big physical targets.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I was really, really hoping Snead was going to pull the trigger if we got a chance, but with us having Brian Quick already they really are the same type of receiver and Snead seems to be a GM that wants a balanced receiving core instead of two big physical targets.
Like Quick and Britt?
The issue as I saw it was that Snisher thought they had a receiving group that was "set", so why spend another #1 pick on a WR when you haven't even figured out how to use last year's yet?

Like everything else with the Rams, if the game was played on paper alone we'd be in the hunt every damn year. Too bad that isn't how the games played.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Like Quick and Britt?
The issue as I saw it was that Snisher thought they had a receiving group that was "set", so why spend another #1 pick on a WR when you haven't even figured out how to use last year's yet?

Like everything else with the Rams, if the game was played on paper alone we'd be in the hunt every damn year. Too bad that isn't how the games played.
Britt was a free agent, I don't have a quote but I remember I think, Jim Thomas asking Snead before the draft about Da'Rick Rogers and he said we already have a guy that fills that role on our team, Brian Quick. Now whether that was just a GM blowing smoke or he wants our receiving core with a big physical no. 1, a steady possession guy as the no. 2 and a fast slot guy that can change direction on a dime, but that's just my assumption.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Pass the crow over here as well. Benjamin had flashed all the traits you look for in a WR, but he never did it consistently. I'm incredibly surprised to see him do so well, so early in his career.

The potential was always there, but if I were an NFL GM, I never would've taken the chance on him in the first round.