Easley Injury (Season Ending)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's cold blooded, but next man up....Opportunity for the guys behind him.
I have Easley Backing-up Brockers, so I'm not overly concerned! I have Smart and Bryant behind Easley so we'll have to keep an eye on their play!!(y);)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Umm...Joyner was on the field yesterday. Did he get hurt during the practice?

They removed Joyner and others on the PUP List (Harkey, & Alexander) so that is why they are now participating. The only two on the PUP list now are Mike Thomas & Lance Dunbar.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This gives LTP a shot to get back to the active roster if it's really bad. An illustration of how important depth is in this league. Curious if Morgan Fox is playing DE or OLB. If DE, he has a good shot as well.
I tend to think Morgan Fox and Samson Ebukam will be backing-up Quinn at WLB!;)

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
That's too bad losing Easley. Next man up.

I'm with @jrry32 I was worried about Easley as a starter due to his injury history (and a little due to his motor).

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
81a88260c8fccd65c00f213358a91a91.jpg

Damn shame this had to happen now. He would of had a stellar season under the son of bum.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Why? It doesn't change anything regrading Donald. Now, they may have to look for another experienced DE to compete for Easley's spot.
Would you want a Defense without Easley and Donald?! We can only plug so many holes, and thats barring there are no more injuries going into the season!!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I have Easley Backing-up Brockers, so I'm not overly concerned! I have Smart and Bryant behind Easley so we'll have to keep an eye on their play!!(y);)

Just out of curiosity who were your starting 3 d line before the injury? Donald, Brockers, and...?

Psycho_X

Legend
That really sucks but I guess no one should be surprised by it. His knees were a well known liability his entire playing career which is why New England gave up on him. A real bummer to see someone who probably has pro bowl capable talent with a body that just can't hold up to the stress of that talent.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep I will agree with this. I posted on the strength of this DE unit last week or so. If there was an area that could take a hit & the team survive well it would be @ DE.
Ethan Westbrooks
I have been an advocate of utilizing Ethan Westbrooks starting over Easley from the beginning. EW is generally good @ performing all the duties & responsibilities of a 34 DE just not as a dynamic of a player like Easley was in his back up role. I preferred EW over Easley based on his pass 3 seasons. EW broke his hand his rookie season but other than that he has played in 35 NFL games with several starts & a half dozen finishers. EW has worked on close to 25 pounds of girth & muscle since his rookie season too. In his 2 starts last season he held up very well & had 2 sacks as our 4th DE in 2016.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/ethan-westbrooks-player-injuries
Big blow. Easley was being counted on after the departure of Hayes in terms of talent up front(different positions but yeah). Somebody gets a chance to step up now, and there's no better time to do it than training camp.
The changes @ DE from 2016 to present where McVay/Snead/Wade made major changes to our three top veteran DE starters last season was big then & might hurt this season some too. Starting RDE Eugene Sims was released, starting LDE Wm Hayes traded, Previous starting RDE Rob Quinn moved to OSLB'er. Now the highly probable loss of projected LDE Dom Easley makes four? Then you could toss in this seasons starting RDE Aaron Donald's unknown status? How's that for some early TC :palm: drama?
....and here we go....
Yes this is the negative side of the beginning of the Rams football season. Taking the major hits (bad) & keep getting up from them (good) as a Ram team.
This is one reason why I wasn't comfortable counting on Easley as a starter. But we'll be fine. Next man up.
Yes I recall all these past discussions on Easley & the concerns you & I had in having a defense counting on him as a starter with all those past injury knee events & issues that followed with the Pats & UF. It was our position that it would be far better to have Easley as your a top off the bench DL'er over starter.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/dominique-easley-player-injuries
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...jury-history-acl-tears-heading-into-nfl-draft

Wade has some options to take a look @ here. If you are without your 2 very disruptive DE's (Easley/Donald) best to look for the next best disruptor in your backpack IF Easley is headed for the IR & the AD matter continues then I bet Wade will consider getting the newly trimmed down version (300 lbs) Brockers some major action @ the 3 tech DE post where Easley was logging in time with the 1st team. I bet The Brock is foaming @ the mouth to get some end action in @ DE.Wade has a good sized (330 lbs) young veteran (4th season) NT behind Brockers who was signed as a UFA named Mike Purcell. MP has 35 NFL games under his belt & 8 starts & a few finishers. MP found himself out of a NT position with the 9ers this season when they went to a 43 D from a 34 D. Rams do have several prospective young NT's in rookie Smart, Bryant & Sayles along with the under 6-1 300 pound LTPasat.

The "next man up" is sure to come from a trio of DE's Morgan Fox, Matt Longacre & maybe rookie Tanzel Smart. I might even throw in what many claim to be a Dwight Freeney clone when he came into the NFL as a rookie named Ejuan Price. Not a bad cadre of 34 DE's @ stand & ready position.

Last edited: