Early Predictions for Rams' 2015 Training Camp Battles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO Brown does not lose his battle, he's a tackle that will be perfect for Guard so his pass blocking should not be an issue. Now the Rams might add a veteran Guard or Garrett Reynolds could start game one at RG, however, Jamon Brown, he's no clown and will lead the Rams and Todd Gurley to many touchdowns!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not sure Alan??:unsure:

What I will be looking at is the competition ongoing @ the corners, that may have an impact on Lamarcus Joyner's role in this 2015 defense.

Gaines is Gregg's best well rounded corner we had last season. So it would be a surprise to me if he were not the top CB again meaning he should start & remain on the outside this season. JJ should nail down the other corner over Trumaine Johnson who had a horrible 2014 campaign with that knee injury & drop off in play down the stretch. Tru should be on top of his game going into his 4th season now...for Tru is truly a gifted talented Corner. So if I were lucky enough to do my CoachO imitation this summer as an onlooker in training camp I would have my binoculars focused on the Corners!

TJ is not nor will he ever be a Nickle candidate. Many have suggested that Gregg will remove our best CB Gaines & insert him in the Nickle when the Rams move into the corner Nickle defense. This was done last season but I'm not so sure that would be best overall for this defense. Late last season our outside corners where beat so often in this suggested lineup. With Tru getting beat more than JJ.

It should also be noted that corners Brandon McGee who will be entering his 3rd season & Marcus Roberson who will enter his 2nd, both very similar to Trumaine Johnson.... in that they are not Nickel candidates either.

So the only real bona fide DB candidates to secure the Nickle post in the Corner Defense are:
1-Lamarcus Joyner (NON Starter)
2-EJ Gaines (Starting outside CB)
3-Rod McLeod (starting deep free safety)

Of the new Ram rookie prospects this DB Imoan Claiborne sure looks like a Nickle prospect in this Ram defense.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/imoan-claiborne?id=2552258

Another fight to watch will be the prospect Free Safety Jacob Hagen, from Liberty. Close to 6-3 & 205 pounds & is a known skilled ball-hawk that will push Cody Davis.

While I tend to agree with most of this post, I am not so sure I agree with the prospects of keeping Gaines on the outside at the expense of Johnson. I think last year was a perfect storm of being dinged up in training camp (he missed a lot of time), and then when the knee injury happened, he was no where close to the player he has been when he came back. IMO, Johnson is a much better player than we saw last year, and would give them exactly what they need outside if he can return to form.

And Gaines inside, is light years ahead of Joyner in that role. For me, Joyner is going to be the one guy who could find himself on the outside looking in. He wasn't real good in the Nickel role in the beginning of the year, getting lost in coverage more than not.

The guy who IMO, may be in jeopardy this year is McGee. If he cannot stay on the field throughout training camp, he is the most likely one to not make it out of camp.

As to the Safety competition, don't overlook Christian Bryant either. I am really looking forward to seeing how he does being healthy. He was very good at Ohio State, and could be the sleeper of camp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I too Like Joyner as our FS as he is needed and does well as our nickel CB until we find a better one. I'd love to see him play the spot he was ranked the 5th best in the draft at last year and that was FS.FSU won National Champs with him at FS. I live here at FSU (PC) campus so I see all FSU games forever.FSU will probably start the Notre Dame kid Golston since he just transfered here now that #1 draft pick moved on toBucs.

I don't want Barnes starting anywhere. That would be a bad thing to just me. Give me Wang over him even.Hopin this is finally Barrett Jones' time to finally shine. We deserve him to turn out a real shocker now after waiting this long.

I really like Lamarcus Joyner too GabesHorn. Lets hope that Joyner has a healthy 2015 season so he can show what he show'd @ FSU.

I just not sure now if LJ has that deep speed or the height to be a solid deep safety.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jamon Brown, he’s no clown, that Jamon Brown
He’s going pave the way, just you wait and see
Why is everybody always praising Gurley?

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
While I tend to agree with most of this post, I am not so sure I agree with the prospects of keeping Gaines on the outside at the expense of Johnson. I think last year was a perfect storm of being dinged up in training camp (he missed a lot of time), and then when the knee injury happened, he was no where close to the player he has been when he came back. IMO, Johnson is a much better player than we saw last year, and would give them exactly what they need outside if he can return to form.

And Gaines inside, is light years ahead of Joyner in that role. For me, Joyner is going to be the one guy who could find himself on the outside looking in. He wasn't real good in the Nickel role in the beginning of the year, getting lost in coverage more than not.

The guy who IMO, may be in jeopardy this year is McGee. If he cannot stay on the field throughout training camp, he is the most likely one to not make it out of camp.

As to the Safety competition, don't overlook Christian Bryant either. I am really looking forward to seeing how he does being healthy. He was very good at Ohio State, and could be the sleeper of camp.

On strong safety Bryant comment I will agree he could really shine if he is finally healthy. The SS cadre looks to be in fine shape with McDonald, Barron, Alexander & Bryant fighting it out.

On EJ Gaines looking like an all pro @ the Nickle .....(y) When he was finally freed up when Tru returned to the lineup & with Joyner's finally going down to injuries ....yes EJ did greatly improve the on field performance of the Corner Nickle post over LJ.

Nice to see other members agree with me on Trumaine's overall ability when things are going well for him. But his play was just plain dismal after returning from that injury. If he can return to form then things will get interesting like I said.

I agree 100% on McGee if he does not remain healthy early he will be history here in St Louis.

You mentioned injuries on Trumaine as being the big issues for poor play but to be fair here .....but the same can be said about Lamarcus Joyner too. LJ fought through a rash of nagging ailments ...sore back/hip/foot & finally groin injury from TC thru to the end of the season.

Looks to me Snead did an outstanding job this month when he brought in 3 good looking talented UDFA DB's to get into the mix! So his former 5th & 2nd round DB's might have one heck of a fight in TC to make it deep into pre season.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think you are going to see a hungry Trumaine Johnson this year playing for a payday - especially after he watches Janoris Jenkins get a long term extension right before the season starts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jamon Brown, he’s no clown, that Jamon Brown
He’s going pave the way, just you wait and see
Why is everybody always praising Gurley?
(y) den

I see Jamon as a bona fide candidate to start @ LEFT OG post myself. His past experience just screams :coach:left side Ol'er to me which just adds to the real value of Jamon Brown is.

Jamon can play right side just fine, but that right side is now a very crowded area with many prospects where the left side has much more room & opportunities for a left side prospect. I bet Boudreau has dreams :love:about Jamon each & every night....having a versatile talented young strong :lifting:massive OL'er who can play :rockon:four of his five magic posts!:snicker:

This thread mentioned above Left OG Rodger Saffold's past injuries where he tore his left pectoral muscle working out & serious damaged Bone cartilage, ligaments & tendons his entire left shoulder region. So Saffold is now rehabbing that damaged left side from this yrs reconstruction of that shoulder. So I guess the comments about him being a worn down old 26 yr OL'er?:notsure: has merit. Jamon Brown to the rescue as great insurance.

I wonder if a left side duo of Jamon Brown & Greg Robinson would work ? Would Jamon great voice singing battle hymns to Greg in the heat of battle turn him into a giant crazed :seizure:Ram warrior ?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
(y) den

I see Jamon as a bona fide candidate to start @ LEFT OG post myself. His past experience just screams :coach:left side Ol'er to me which just adds to the real value of Jamon Brown is.

Jamon can play right side just fine, but that right side is now a very crowded area with many prospects where the left side has much more room & opportunities for a left side prospect. I bet Boudreau has dreams :love:about Jamon each & every night....having a versatile talented young strong :lifting:massive OL'er who can play :rockon:four of his five magic posts!:snicker:

The question looms....Brown on the Right or the Left? As you astutely posted he does have experience as a LT, however, in Bobby Petrion's offense the offensive linemen rotate from one side to the other so Brown was on the right quite often too.

I don't see the Rams moving Saffold back to RG, IMO, they are going to feel more comfortable with Saffold handcuffed to GROB to protect the blind side of Foles.

Now if the Rams added a Justin Blalock for example then I could see Saffold going back to RG, but at the moment, IMO, it's Saffold to the left and Brown to the right, but here I am @BonifayRam stuck in the middle with you!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ref. OL battles:

First off ....I see no serious camp battles @ OLT or OC. Robinson & Barnes are very solid IMO in these posts as starters. This will not be new to Barnes who was the first team starting center from the beginning of training camp till the end of pre season in 2014.

OLG- With last yrs primary starter (Saffold) coming off 2015 major shoulder reconstruction surgery this post will see plenty of action from Ol'ers like Barrett Jones, Brandon Washington & 3rd rd pick rookie Jamon Brown. We might see UDFA rookie David Wang get in on some of this OLG action in order to make this master roster or signed to the Practice Squad.

Many will write off Barrett Jones due to his lack of health since being drafted in 2013 however this OLG post made be a great place for him to start. He did well on the left side when he was the leader of the OL for the National Championship Team, Jones was awarded #1- First team All American OLT, Plus Jones won the #2-Outland, #3-Wuerffel, #4-Jacobs Blocking & #5-Jim Parker TROPHY'S on that left side.

IMO when the regular seasons begins the duo of OLT Robinson-OLG Jones will start with rookie Jamon Brown being the main game day Reserve to both left side posts.

ORT- It would seem that as of late many have the near 6-8 323 pound 2nd rd pick rookie Rob Havenstein locking down this starting post. IMO the veteran journeyman near 6-8 305 pound Garrett Reynolds was signed to be the early starter in this post. GR can really help RH with his early issues in pass blocking since both are very tall Ol'ers.

The 6-6 313 pound 4th rd pick Andrew Donnal has some kudos in this tread but looks to be primarily a swing OT prospect than a swing OG prospect IMO. I have Donnal as Boudreau's 9th or 10th Ol'er.

ORG- The battle @ ORT will have some affect here on this post. If rookie Havenstein wins the ORT post then it would make this ORG post being primarily manned by another rookie highly unlikely. OL'ers who will battle for this post will be Travis Bond, Rookie Cody Wichmann, Garrett Reynolds & a fully healed Rodger Saffold.

At some point maybe by the bye Saffold will bench one of the above named 3 OL'ers. A right side duo of Saffold ORG -Havenstein ORT with Reynolds as the main game day Reserve to both posts on the right side will fall into place.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
On strong safety Bryant comment I will agree he could really shine if he is finally healthy. The SS cadre looks to be in fine shape with McDonald, Barron, Alexander & Bryant fighting it out.
Not sure they consider Bryant a SS at this point. When he did come back in training camp last year, he was primarily playing the deep Safety, be in in Cover 2 as a dual Deep Safety, or the lone high safety on their combination coverages.

It could come down to Bryant and C. Davis as to who ends up having the better camp.

You mentioned injuries on Trumaine as being the big issues for poor play but to be fair here .....but the same can be said about Lamarcus Joyner too. LJ fought through a rash of nagging ailments ...sore back/hip/foot & finally groin injury from TC thru to the end of the season.
I realize that Joyner was nicked up too. But from what I saw, he tended to struggle in man coverage, while being good to very good in zone. Watching him in camp was uncomfortable when he was put in one on one coverage as a CB. But slide him inside, and he has good instincts when they played zone. The bottom line for me, is they have much more upside if Johnson returns to form on the outside, and Gaines can man the Nickel. Best case scenario for Joyner at that point, is to be the "dime" back, sliding inside opposite Gaines.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I really like Lamarcus Joyner too GabesHorn. Lets hope that Joyner has a healthy 2015 season so he can show what he show'd @ FSU.

I just not sure now if LJ has that deep speed or the height to be a solid deep safety.

First get your sorry butt to my house so we can argue all this In person. We have many different thoughts on many different players and where they will end up. Thats what this thread is about. We all are just guessing how our coaches will see it. Even watching practices everyday we may see things differently than our own coaches. I have no doubt that would occur.

They will have film study of every practice and know the plays or schemes called as we won't. They still mess up even with that benefit. No ones perfect. I have the personal opinion that if healthy and just reacting and not over thinking things as rookies do Joyner will surprise this season and size be *(&%^ed as he will bring the HIT no one is thinking he can. I've seen it. I know McCleod has somehow gotten a little better recently over his earlier struggles.

My prediction is Joyner if given the chance can do better than Mcleods very best. I'm not the only one here with the same hope that if healthy Joyner is gonna really turn some heads. Size in stature won't matter when you see the size of his heart and how it will be him jumping right up after bringing the wood. Seen it too many times.

Yet I don't even know if he will get the shot to prove this if GW's wants to keep Joyner as a CB. Its just my stupid opinion. I also think NOTHING is set in stone at the Pivot spot either as many think. Injuries and playing against our studs on "D" in practice and the scrimmages with the plowgirls will seperate a true starter we can get behind. I'm really hoping its B. Jones myself as we have more than enough bodies to compete and battle for both guard spots. Cutdowns will be heartbreaking this year with other teams waiting to pick up our final cuts for developmentals for their own teams.

Having new thoughts on Foles and how he is gonna do. Glad we are gonna focus on the run game and getting the ball out of his hand as early as possible even if its a deep route. Past history and statistical breakdown of Foles past shows his comp.% is much higher when getting the ball out early. Holding the ball and he ends up like what we saw with Hill & Davis last year. Lets get a backup ready for this year. Hope we keep Foles blindside covered with G.Rob. and Saffold and no rookie. That blindside hit can be awesome.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
When it comes to RG, I agree that Saffold should be our starter there. Other than GR at LT, I have no clue who's gonna be our starters. Your guess is as good as mine.

I do find it a little strange that you and the author of that article completely dismiss the possibility of Brown being a starter anywhere on the line even though he's was selected before Donnal. Snisher seems to disagree with both of you and I have no opinion yet on the matter but if you're going to go with trusting our brain trust, which most here seem to be doing, why not Brown at LG? Do you think they drafted a backup RT before drafting a starter at LG/RG? What role do you see Reynolds filling?

Oh I wasnt agreeing that Donnal will start over Brown. I personally like him much more at tackle. I just didn't agree with his placement of the rookies. I absolutely can see Brown starting at LG. I see Reynolds fighting to make the team. Depending on how many we keep. I see Donnal above him on the pecking order for sure.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I know what I think of him but I'd like to know why you think he lasted until the end of the 6th round?
http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/col...-state/bulldogs-football/article19528653.html
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/cody-wichmann?id=2553332

Good movement skills....but not quick feet...not the "twitchy" look that a bunch of analyst look for now...But many overlooked Warford last year...I didn't like Fluker for the same reason...but appears strong, durable and able to convert to the pro game....I think he could start....again, his level of competition he played against seems just as good, if not better than most. Excellent size/arm length/toughness....great guard qualities.
http://www.gobulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cody_wichmann_716737.html
sorry about this Pats site, but couldn't figure how to grab the media.....
http://www.patriots.com/video/2015/01/01/2015-draft-prospects-cody-wichmann-og-fresno-state

Fisher supposedly thinks he is a corner and not a safety.
Me too...Just too small....and at that size, not the elite speed I like in a FS....

Agree with everything Coach but this...For some reason, I like McGee....Think he handled himself well vs. Cinnci..or was that the Bears? Bunch of PI's...but I see a player...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
...But many overlooked Warford last year...I

I wanted the Rams to take Warford in round 2. He dropped on the draftniks sites a bit because scouts felt Warford had very slow feet....slow enough to have trouble getting second level blocks. I disagreed and thought he was just a prototypical mauler. Reports after the draft were that Fisher/Snead liked Warford but the way things went he wasn't able to get to them.

BTW Warford was in the 2013 draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/col...-state/bulldogs-football/article19528653.html
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/cody-wichmann?id=2553332

Good movement skills....but not quick feet...not the "twitchy" look that a bunch of analyst look for now...But many overlooked Warford last year...I didn't like Fluker for the same reason...but appears strong, durable and able to convert to the pro game....I think he could start....again, his level of competition he played against seems just as good, if not better than most. Excellent size/arm length/toughness....great guard qualities.
http://www.gobulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cody_wichmann_716737.html
sorry about this Pats site, but couldn't figure how to grab the media.....
http://www.patriots.com/video/2015/01/01/2015-draft-prospects-cody-wichmann-og-fresno-state

Me too...Just too small....and at that size, not the elite speed I like in a FS....

Agree with everything Coach but this...For some reason, I like McGee....Think he handled himself well vs. Cinnci..or was that the Bears? Bunch of PI's...but I see a player...

I don't like McGee at all. I see an athlete playing football. I think he gets cut.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam inquiring minds want to know:
What I will be looking at is the competition ongoing @ the corners, that may have an impact on Lamarcus Joyner's role in this 2015 defense.

Gaines is Gregg's best well rounded corner we had last season. So it would be a surprise to me if he were not the top CB again meaning he should start & remain on the outside this season. JJ should nail down the other corner over Trumaine Johnson who had a horrible 2014 campaign with that knee injury & drop off in play down the stretch. Tru should be on top of his game going into his 4th season now...for Tru is truly a gifted talented Corner. So if I were lucky enough to do my CoachO imitation this summer as an onlooker in training camp I would have my binoculars focused on the Corners!

TJ is not nor will he ever be a Nickle candidate. Many have suggested that Gregg will remove our best CB Gaines & insert him in the Nickle when the Rams move into the corner Nickle defense. This was done last season but I'm not so sure that would be best overall for this defense. Late last season our outside corners where beat so often in this suggested lineup. With Tru getting beat more than JJ.

It should also be noted that corners Brandon McGee who will be entering his 3rd season & Marcus Roberson who will enter his 2nd, both very similar to Trumaine Johnson.... in that they are not Nickel candidates either.

So the only real bona fide DB candidates to secure the Nickle post in the Corner Defense are:
1-Lamarcus Joyner (NON Starter)
2-EJ Gaines (Starting outside CB)
3-Rod McLeod (starting deep free safety)
Kind of hard to have a conversation about this if you're gonna insist on touching all the bases and saying things I can't disagree with. :mad: :LOL:

I'm left with nothing except that I think putting the words "deep free safety" and McLeod in the same sentence loosely fits the definition of the word 'oxymoron'. :seizure:

That's all I've got. :(

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I really hope they're wrong. Donnal should not be playing OG for us. He does not have the functional strength based on what he showed in college.

He shows that he's a smart athlete on his tape, but is also a limited athlete. Imo he's strictly a RT for us.

Alan

Legend
den-the-coach pointing to a strong possibility:
I don't see the Rams moving Saffold back to RG, IMO, they are going to feel more comfortable with Saffold handcuffed to GROB to protect the blind side of Foles.

Now if the Rams added a Justin Blalock for example then I could see Saffold going back to RG, but at the moment, IMO, it's Saffold to the left and Brown to the right, but here I am @BonifayRam stuck in the middle with you!
This is what I'm afraid will happen and for the exact reason you mentioned. It won't be a bad outcome but it won't be taking full advantage of Saffold's skills either.

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 pointing out Wichmann's positives:
He comes from a small school and his level of competition wasn't that high but his measurables were comparable to Havenstein's and he's coming to a scheme that fits him perfectly so yeah, who knows. At the very least he might provide good depth and great competition in TC and the preseason. Let the best refrigerator win!