Early 53 Projection + P.S. ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You know, ... it's going to be a media nightmare when Isaiah Johnson lines up as SS, newcomer John Johnson at FS and TruJo at CB, ... all at the same time. I can hardly wait.
I was thinking the 'Johnsons' might make for a good nick name for our defensive backfield, but then their girlfriends might get too confused by references like 'my Johnson needs some attention'. No, i'm afraid the logo you have in mind just won't work with Roger Goodell, ... another Johnson now that I think about it.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Clearly, there will be some intense camp battles. And I do mean intense.

For one thing, this staff has made it clear that best players will play. No more Fisher sacred cows that keep getting endless 2nd chances.

For another, the talent is deeper than it's been in years, maybe even 12-15 years. So, no more country club atmosphere will be tolerated.

At WR, I think Thomas is iffy. It seems obvious that McVay puts great emphasis on good hands in his receivers, both WR and TE's. I love Spruce, but as has been pointed out, inside or slot is now just loaded. Marquez is a crowd favorite, but I'm not sure he makes the 53, either. The 5th and 6th spots are definitely up in the air, tbh.

Gonna be extremely difficult to cut Longacre and Westbrooks. Trade, maybe?

The secondary position battles are gonna be epic, too. Some good football players are gonna have to be cut.

Well, LB is gonna be a knock down, drag out, too. Wade has some serious decisions to make at all 3 levels of his D before opening day. Nice problem to have, though.

Tavon will make the 53, obviously. But I foresee an increasing reduction in his snaps as the rookies get acclimated. By midseason, if not sooner, I see Tavon as a non starter. By midseason he will be 4th best WR. Hell, that might be true by opening day.

I'm sure that there were many sighs of relief among most of our OL players as the draft wound down with no OL taken. Lol.

Until I see evidence otherwise, I predict Hav at starting RT and Brown at starting RG. GRob will be swing off the bench. Of course, camp and PS games could change this in a big way, but that's my personal prediction at this time. I just don't think GRob has it between the ears.

Gonna be the most interesting camp in years. Our esteemed camp reporters better have their heads on swivels and be talking into recorders, dammit! No time for taking notes. Lol.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

They would be my first cuts, allow them some time to find a 4-3 defense they can catch on with. It also frees up about $2.4mil. in CAP. jmo

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Feels like me might be a little light at RB. I could Hemmingway being dumped on the roster for a RB.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Trinca Pasat won't be making this team.

He had a pretty spectacular pre-season in 2015, ... then in 2016 was injured in camp and IR'd. If he has a camp similar to 2015, he won't be going anywhere. jmo.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
He had a pretty spectacular pre-season in 2015, ... then in 2016 was injured in camp and IR'd. If he has a camp similar to 2015, he won't be going anywhere. jmo.

Preseason is virtually meaningless. He's got zero snaps in a game that's actually mattered.

McVay is going to keep the players that he's personally brought in.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Preseason is virtually meaningless. He's got zero snaps in a game that's actually mattered.

McVay is going to keep the players that he's personally brought in.

Then why bother having a camp if pre-season is meaningless and only McVay's personally picked players are remaining ?

Trinca-Pasat has many of the skill-sets along with the physical attributes of Tanzel Smart, perhaps better. I'll wait for Wade Phillips to weigh in on this one.

lockdnram21

Legend
Clearly, there will be some intense camp battles. And I do mean intense.

For one thing, this staff has made it clear that best players will play. No more Fisher sacred cows that keep getting endless 2nd chances.

For another, the talent is deeper than it's been in years, maybe even 12-15 years. So, no more country club atmosphere will be tolerated.

At WR, I think Thomas is iffy. It seems obvious that McVay puts great emphasis on good hands in his receivers, both WR and TE's. I love Spruce, but as has been pointed out, inside or slot is now just loaded. Marquez is a crowd favorite, but I'm not sure he makes the 53, either. The 5th and 6th spots are definitely up in the air, tbh.

The secondary position battles are gonna be epic, too. Some good football players are gonna have to be cut.

Well, LB is gonna be a knock down, drag out, too. Wade has some serious decisions to make at all 3 levels of his D before opening day. Nice problem to have, though.

Tavon will make the 53, obviously. But I foresee an increasing reduction in his snaps as the rookies get acclimated. By midseason, if not sooner, I see Tavon as a non starter. By midseason he will be 4th best WR. Hell, that might be true by opening day.

I'm sure that there were many sighs of relief among most of our OL players as the draft wound down with no OL taken. Lol.

Until I see evidence otherwise, I predict Hav at starting RT and Brown at starting RG. GRob will be swing off the bench. Of course, camp and PS games could change this in a big way, but that's my personal prediction at this time. I just don't think GRob has it between the ears.

Gonna be the most interesting camp in years. Our esteemed camp reporters better have their heads on swivels and be talking into recorders, dammit! No time for taking notes. Lol.
Un mean the 6th.... I think top 5 pretty much locked...
Tavon(I know u dont like but he will be there
Woods
Kupp
Cooper
Reymolds

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Woods
Kupp
Cooper
Reymolds

I agree that Tavon will be there, 21.

The contract guarantees it, plus they've gotta give him their best shot.

But Cooper? Not necessarily a lock. He probably has the inside track for the 5th spot, but he better be busting his ass and impressing the coaches this camp. 'Cause everybody else will be. And if a player or two has the lightbulb go on and catches fire, look out.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Agree, but for this mock-up I gave the nod to Thomas because of his special teams skills.

"Skills" :snicker:

IMG_0049.JPG

TexasRam

Legend
Thomas is on the hot-seat.

A strange new requirement for the receivers will be that they can catch footballs.
I know pretty harsh, but if you can't receive then you can't be a receiver. It's this novel new concept the new coaches are bringing in. A lot of guys in the building are confused about this new role for Receivers.

One Receiver was overheard asking " And where exactly would we run if we received the football"

Grob then raised his hand and asked " Coach, if I catch one of those yellow things the Zebra team throws at me, do I also get to run?"

Snead uttered " Uhh ...Let's called it, probably not".

Last edited:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I kinda agree with your roster ... jut have to wait and see how this bears out. at WR, Cooper and Spruce are going to be the biggest battle, as they both play a position ( slot) that is loaded. Because Eventually I can see the starters as being Reynolds/Woods/Kupp. The others will end up being the backups/4th &5th WR options. I think Kupp is going to be our main Slot guy but SM is going to move these guys all over. I'm not pegging him a purely a Slot guy. But I do believe our top 3 are going to be those three with Thomas (if he balls) being rotation/backup outside guy on the outside should injury occur.

i'm telling ya .. the addition of Woods/Kupp/Reynolds is going to not only strengthen this group as starters, but push the whole room to ball out or be gone. i'm putting Tavon in there as well. Time for him to earn those $$$ or they will cut bait fairly easily.

Kupp was drafted to play the slot , if Mcvay can finally find a way to use Tavon's speed on the outside this can be very fun

Memphis Ram

Legend
Woods
Kupp
Cooper
Reymolds

Wow. Didn't do the math prior to my fair chance statement. While I'd say only 4 are pretty much locked, both Cooper & Thomas offer something on special teams that gives them an edge. It's probably going to be impossible for the others to get a legit shot with such short practice times.

I'm still rooting for you though McRoberts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best case for Spruce is that he is up against Cooper for the final spot
5 WR tops will make team since we are likely to have a FB and 3 TE