Earl Campbell thinks today’s NFL isn’t tough enough

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These "good old days" type of convos always kind of annoy me a bit.
Yeah the rule changes are a bit annoying, but the fact is that the athletes are bigger, stronger and faster than they ever were. And frankly, try telling the family the Dave Duerson's and Junior Seau's of the world that the game is "pussified" and see how that goes

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, pretty sure Mike Singletary, Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, Reggie White, Kevin Greene as well as Dave Duerson and Junior Seau and a host of others played super hard.

A lot of the changes in play came about due to rule changes, not due to players desire to play "pussified".

Also... I take issue with the "headache" line.

Respect Earl Campbell as the HoFer he is. But he's out of line on this. CTE is real.

Just look at how freaking MIKE WEBSTER went out, dammit. The man pulled out his own teeth with his bare hands and super glued them back into his head!!!

Of course, you get mad when a guy makes a "business decision". That sucks. If a guy isn't going to get in there and be physical, then this isn't the sport for him.

But, I'm sorry...Earl Campbell is beholden to an antiquated mindset that we know is harmful to current players.

I mean, should Case Keenum have gone back in after slamming his head on the turf?

I'll stop. The point is that the reason for frustration is that the rule changes aren't being made within an organic framework to enhance THE GAME. They are being made at odds with one another. Some changes are being implemented to enhance scoring. Some are being implemented to enhance player safety... Well, what if those collide? And without full time refs and without a rigorous training regimen to ensure uniformity of enforcement of ALL of the rules...

We are now left with this NBA style refereeing where savvy fans have to meta-analyze the game by understanding the tendencies of HOW the refs call games...rather than appreciating the skill, scheme and execution of the teams on the field.

The game isn't suffering because of "pussyfication". Our ADHD culture did that. Just like baseball sold out and allowed steroids because fans couldn't appreciate good pitching and good defense. So the game of football had to be tweaked to have more scoring....and more and more and more.

Earl Campbell was great. But...he's not helping. Imho.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah the rule changes are a bit annoying, but the fact is that the athletes are bigger, stronger and faster than they ever were. And frankly, try telling the family the Dave Duerson's and Junior Seau's of the world that the game is "pussified" and see how that goes

you just hit it right on the screws

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You know who he reminded me of?
Big John

and a lil of this guy

Power & Speed...

Riggins was kinda overblown wasn't he? I don't recall him being as good as Earl or Larry.

And he had an AMAZING OL. Csonka did too.

Campbell as well.

But Campbell had more wheels.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know, is that if I was to pick one RB of all that have ever played to be on my team, it would be Earl Campbell. My family moved to a town near Houston in 1975, and in my Dad's job, he would get Oiler's tickets for games (less popular) and I would go with him. I have actually seen more NFL games in the Astrodome than I ever did for the Rams, wherever they called home. Earl was the most devastating runner I ever saw. You Tube video's don't do him justice, and the fear of LBers when they were one one one with him, was apparent. I loved Earl so much, that when the great Eric Dickerson played for the Rams, i could not appreciate him, because it seemed like he was half-assing it when he ran...I know that's not true now, but I used to get frustrated as hell, waiting to see a power run by Dickerson... Campbell is the GOAT for me, even though he doesn't have the final stats of Dickerson, Payton and Smith.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If you want me to feel sorry for players like Webster and Seau, it ain't gonna work. ALL NFL players know the risks and the potential of severe injury, head trauma and even paralyzation. But they play anyway, weather its for the money or just because they love football. For whatever reason, they choose to do it knowing the risks. The league minimum wage is several hundred thousand dollars and some get paid more that a million dollars a game. They can all afford top notch health insurance on top of what the NFL gives them.

Not a chance I feel sorry for any of them if they get hurt. just MHO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
ALL NFL players know the risks and the potential of severe injury, head trauma and even paralyzation. But they play anyway, weather its for the money or just because they love football. For whatever reason, they choose to do it knowing the risks. The league minimum wage is several hundred thousand dollars and some get paid more that a million dollars a game. They can all afford top notch health insurance on top of what the NFL gives them.

In the real world, we assume the risks in many things...I'm sure they understand as players what this means...It's when the league denies knowing something is MORE risky...like the prescribing of opioid pain medications with impunity...the outright lies about injuries...you're ok, get back out there...As long as the players are properly informed...and educated, who could have a problem with the rash of post career afflictions? But often they are not. That's the problem.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love a brutal hard hitting game as much as the next guy I love physicality and bone jarring hits and lowering that shoulder and running a guy over a defends that will kick bollock and bite over every inch of grass and I'm also of the opinion that most players are
Well compensated and know the risks way more than Campbell's generation were

BUT

Doesn't Campbell see the irony in what he says .. addiction to drink and painkillers .. barley being able to walk after a game .. and the dangers of concussion (even Chris Benoit in "fake"sport went postal) ...there is too much money in the game now and in a "sue em all" culture ... I think the game is fine ... I don't want to see anyone dead or seriously paralysed for my entertainment

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love a brutal hard hitting game as much as the next guy I love physicality and bone jarring hits and lowering that shoulder and running a guy over a defends that will kick bollock and bite over every inch of grass and I'm also of the opinion that most players are
Well compensated and know the risks way more than Campbell's generation were

BUT

Doesn't Campbell see the irony in what he says .. addiction to drink and painkillers .. barley being able to walk after a game .. and the dangers of concussion (even Chris Benoit in "fake"sport went postal) ...there is too much money in the game now and in a "sue em all" culture ... I think the game is fine ... I don't want to see anyone dead or seriously paralysed for my entertainment
#soccerlover :rockon:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If you want me to feel sorry for players like Webster and Seau, it ain't gonna work. ALL NFL players know the risks and the potential of severe injury, head trauma and even paralyzation. But they play anyway, weather its for the money or just because they love football. For whatever reason, they choose to do it knowing the risks. The league minimum wage is several hundred thousand dollars and some get paid more that a million dollars a game. They can all afford top notch health insurance on top of what the NFL gives them.

Not to quibble... but...

Mike Webster... literally pulled the teeth...out. of. his. head... and then super glued them back in.

No, brother, just no. Just, no. NO, these guys did NOT think they were going to break their BRAINS.

Bodies? sure. But no one and I do mean no one thought that football players even COULD become "punch drunk" like fighters.

Now that we know about CTE and people are going back through ex-player's histories, we're seeing LOTS of stuff that isn't so flattering.

I have a little insight to this because I have daily migraines as a result of being in the Navy. I've had 1 migraine that lasted 12 weeks and left me hallucinating. I couldn't and wouldn't go to the doctor because I'd get a psych admit and end up on the no-fly list. I've had a migraine so bad that I wanted to slam my face against my steel desk...HARD... and the only reason I didn't was that I couldn't figure out how far to push out my chair so that when I slammed my face into the desk, I wouldn't break my nose. Thankfully, I thought better of it and gave up.

Point being is that I know plenty of guys that would trade a broken body for even a CHANCE at playing in the pros.

You let a guy see the effects of neurological trauma... and it's different.

This is why younger guys are retiring. You can do DDP yoga and help restore broken bodies. There are nutritional supplements out there that are actually pharmaceutical grade now (no more expensive pee with no results).

What you can't do (outside of maybe CBD therapies) is fix the brain. Moreover, ALL of the therapies available to players now...NONE of them help the brain. Worse, analgesics and opiates in masking pain actually create problems and opiates create a host of problems.

If a guy wanted to complain about anything else up to and including breaking his neck... as tragic as that would be... I would have tons of compassion for him AND I would say that as unfortunate as that is, it's a chance players take. I think I can "feel sorry" for a player sustaining a difficult injury while still maintaining that the injury was part of the game.

But no. Even in 2006 (it feels so distant, I thought it was the 1990s) with those Jacked Up segments, the league was still selling the violence and denying ANY link to ANY neurological trauma.

So, no...just no. NO player could possibly have made an informed decision since there literally was NO information linking football to neurological trauma beyond anecdotal.

And it wasn't until Mike Webster's death that we all got PROOF (not only of CTE, but that Tagliabue was a coward and that Goodell was a low life, corporate scumbag).

We're all entitled to feel how we feel, but facts are facts and the facts are that the players did NOT possess the facts to make fully informed decisions about playing INCLUDING THE RISK OF NEUROLOGICAL TRAUMA until 2010, iirc, even though they knew in 2006...while those Jacked Up shows were being aired...

On principle that matters to me. I don't think it's possible to hold someone responsible for making a decision if you withhold all the pertinent information required to make the decision. And when we see some players AFTER all the information is available actually act on it and decide to retire after only 1 year or after college and forgo playing in the Pros altogether, then that shows that the withholding made a difference.

That and so many former players won't let their kids play...ESPECIALLY based on what they've learned about CTE.

sorry... it's a thing for me.

Be well all and have a Happy Super Bowl.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry Mack, they DO know their brains are at risk. There are plenty of examples of former NFL players with brain injury and yet they still play.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Kind of weird EC's attitude considering he was a running back. Usually that narrative is used by players on defense with respect to the rules changes encouraging scoring through the air. For a running back other than no helmet to helmet contact and no horse collar tackling the game hasn't really changed much. At least not compared to the QB and WRs.

I sure miss all the time spent on highlighting the cheerleaders during the games 30-40 years ago. Those ladies are not paid and work very hard so they deserve to be the only thing shown on commercial breaks, with the paid adverts being a line scroll at the bottom of the screen. Am I right?