Eagles will hire former Browns OC John DeFilippo as QB coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrankenRam

Starter
Yes. Yes, I do. My detailed information is that he wasn't hired as a Head Coach and then had plenty of time to accept the Rams OC job before ending up as the Eagles QB Coach. That tends to undermine any argument that he thought he'd be a Head Coach which is why he didn't accept the Rams job. Especially considering our job is CURRENTLY open.

But nobody knows if the job is really open. All that's known is that there was (apparently) there was at least a phone call between someone on the Rams and DeFillipo. But unless it was officially announced, nobody knows what was discussed...let alone what position they were exploring.

I don't think it's a given that the Rams are actively seeking a new OC just because they spoke with one guy who held such a position last year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But nobody knows if the job is really open. All that's known is that there was (apparently) there was at least a phone call between someone on the Rams and DeFillipo. But unless it was officially announced, nobody knows what was discussed...let alone what position they were exploring.

I don't think it's a given that the Rams are actively seeking a new OC just because they spoke with one guy who held such a position last year.

You're not gaining any points here for the Rams. The Rams not searching for a new OC is asinine. They interviewed DeFilippo for something. They had the opportunity to offer him the OC job. They either did not or what they offered was so offputting that he turned it down for a QB Coach job. The Rams fucked up. They made a stupid decision. I don't much care what that decision was. DeFilippo should be our OC next year. Instead, it appears that Fisher is going to shit the bed again. Just like he did last year.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You're not gaining any points here for the Rams. The Rams not searching for a new OC is asinine. They interviewed DeFilippo for something. They had the opportunity to offer him the OC job. They either did not or what they offered was so offputting that he turned it down for a QB Coach job. The Rams freaked up. They made a stupid decision. I don't much care what that decision was. DeFilippo should be our OC next year. Instead, it appears that Fisher is going to crap the bed again. Just like he did last year.

Relax jrry.

The Rams just as likely weren't interested in Flip after they interviewed him.

Dude took a position coach job... my guess is because it's the only effing job he was offered.

Back off on saying shit like Fisher fucked up... you don't know what went on in the process and I already know you can't tell the future.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Relax jrry.

The Rams just as likely weren't interested in Flip after they interviewed him.

Dude took a position coach job... my guess is because it's the only effing job he was offered.

Back off on saying crap like Fisher freaked up... you don't know what went on in the process and I already know you can't tell the future.

And that's where the Rams fucked up. I'm not going to back off my opinion. I've been patient with the same old shit for years. I'm done with it.

I don't need to know what went on in the process. I know what I saw on the field last year when I watched the Browns. The Rams had a chance to get a bright, young offensive mind that works well with QBs and the passing game. EXACTLY WHAT WE NEEDED. They foolishly passed. I'm not going to condone that move. I'm not going to justify it. I'm not going to make excuses for it.

I'm very unhappy with the direction of this team right now. It seemed like Fisher was starting to get it and then he went right back to doing exactly what he has been doing. I'm sick and tired of it. I'm sick and tired of losing and mediocrity. I'm not going to sit in here and pretend that everything is okay. I'm not going to sit in here and come up with reasons why it wasn't Fisher's or the Rams' fault. It was both of their faults. They fucked up.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I've gotta say that I can understand jrry32's passion and pov. Because I feel pretty much the same damned way.

Here's what we know...

Rams had worst O in the entire league last year.

That would imply that upgrades are needed in many places.

Our OC has not been named officially as yet. And there are clearly openings at asst coaches for WR, TE, RB, and the apparent newly created "passing coordinator" position.

Other teams are scrambling to fill their openings at these exact positions while Fisher once again plods forward with the speed of a man in combat boots running through quicksand.

Any wonder that jrry32 and many other Ram fans are frustrated? Hell, I don't know why everybody isn't complaining.

Know what my biggest fear is? That Fisher is having trouble finding up and coming asst coaches that are willing to work within the confines of his risk averse philosophy.

And if I'm right, THAT means that he will have to "settle" and we can look forward to another underachieving 7-8 win season. Sigh...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
And that's where the Rams freaked up. I'm not going to back off my opinion. I've been patient with the same old crap for years. I'm done with it.

I don't need to know what went on in the process. I know what I saw on the field last year when I watched the Browns. The Rams had a chance to get a bright, young offensive mind that works well with QBs and the passing game. EXACTLY WHAT WE NEEDED. They foolishly passed. I'm not going to condone that move. I'm not going to justify it. I'm not going to make excuses for it.

I'm very unhappy with the direction of this team right now. It seemed like Fisher was starting to get it and then he went right back to doing exactly what he has been doing. I'm sick and tired of it. I'm sick and tired of losing and mediocrity. I'm not going to sit in here and pretend that everything is okay. I'm not going to sit in here and come up with reasons why it wasn't Fisher's or the Rams' fault. It was both of their faults. They freaked up.

We'll see how it all turns out there champ.

I'm gonna go ahead and believe that Fisher and Co know more about what's best for this team than you will ever know. Check yourself jrry... the shit you're slinging isn't called for. Like I said before, you need to relax.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll see how it all turns out there champ.

I'm gonna go ahead and believe that Fisher and Co know more about what's best for this team than you will ever know. Check yourself jrry... the crap you're slinging isn't called for. Like I said before, you need to relax.

I'm gonna go ahead and believe that I don't owe any benefit of the doubt to a man with four losing seasons in four years. But you can appeal to authority. I don't come on this board to defer to Fisher's "wisdom" at every turn.

The shit I'm slinging is absolutely called for. I'm not going to "relax" if relaxing means playing ignorant to Fisher's faults year after year. I'm going to call them out when they do things I'm not happy with. Don't like it, ignore me.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
How is DeFillippo suddenly the next Bill Walsh??

The team he coached offense in is picking #2

Whatever he did regardless of how "innovative" and "young" he is -- he got released by Hue Jackson...

So if Hue Jackson is such a genius and offensive mind - why would he not jump at the chance to have such an innovative bright mind on his staff???

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is DeFillippo suddenly the next Bill Walsh??

The team he coached offense in is picking #2

Whatever he did regardless of how "innovative" and "young" he is -- he got released by Hue Jackson...

So if Hue Jackson is such a genius and offensive mind - why would he not jump at the chance to have such an innovative bright mind on his staff???

Turn on the film. Have no interest answering the same question again.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
How does one actually use the ignore feature?
Never used it before, but it's either that or get banned by responding the way I'd like to.:headexplosion:
To some posts. By the "I want it all, and I want it now!" set. (courtesy Queen).
Who forget where we were four short years ago. The majority of whom I guarantee you are in their twenties.
Who refer to .500 records as losing seasons. (Technically correct, but disingenuous).
And probably became a fan in 2000.:shades:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How does one actually use the ignore feature?
Never used it before, but it's either that or get banned by responding the way I'd like to.:headexplosion:
To some posts. By the "I want it all, and I want it now!" set. (courtesy Queen).
Who forget where we were four short years ago. The majority of whom I guarantee you are in their twenties.
Who refer to .500 records as losing seasons. (Technically correct, but disingenuous).
And probably became a fan in 2000.:shades:

Fisher hasn't had a single .500 record. He's had nothing but losing seasons. A .500 record isn't a losing season. You want to ignore someone, click on their username and then click ignore on the screen that pops up.

And it's kind of laughable that you'd make some sort of negative implication on anyone that is CURRENTLY a Rams fan because of when they became a Rams fan. You don't get to question someone's loyalty or imply they're less of a fan than you after they've stuck by this team through 0 winning seasons and 0 playoff appearances over the last decade.

Yes. I want it all. And I want it now. And by want it all, I mean I want a competent OC and a QB with a future. And I want it now...this year. Unfortunately, keeping Fisher around might not stop that from happening.

Who forget where we were four years ago? I remember plenty well where we were. I also know that four years is an eternity in the NFL. The Rams being a terrible team four years ago does not excuse them still being mediocre now. Mediocre isn't good enough for me.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm gonna go ahead and believe that I don't owe any benefit of the doubt to a man with four losing seasons in four years. But you can appeal to authority. I don't come on this board to defer to Fisher's "wisdom" at every turn.

The crap I'm slinging is absolutely called for. I'm not going to "relax" if relaxing means playing ignorant to Fisher's faults year after year. I'm going to call them out when they do things I'm not happy with. Don't like it, ignore me.

I don't ignore anything posted here jrry.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
How do I know he didn't turn the Rams down? I don't. But that just makes the Rams look worse if he did.
Just going to take a wild guess, but I would think the OC coach gets paid more then the QB coach and gets him closer to a HC job.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@jrry32 you need to take a breath and chill the fuck out. And know that ignoring what a member says is not an option for moderators or owners of this site. You try to come off as you know more than our coaching staff and frankly, it makes you look like a impudent youngster. I know you are capable of using rational thought and discussion rather than this kind of sophomore behavior. You are guessing and making an opinion. Quit acting like you know more than the rest of us.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 you need to take a breath and chill the freak out. And know that ignoring what a member says is not an option for moderators or owners of this site. You try to come off as you know more than our coaching staff and frankly, it makes you look like a impudent youngster. I know you are capable of using rational thought and discussion rather than this kind of sophomore behavior. You are guessing and making an opinion. Quit acting like you know more than the rest of us.

Nope. I'm not going to censor my opinion. I'm not going to change my opinion. I don't care what I come off as. I've seen over a decade of incompetence from coaching staffs and front offices. You all are welcome to trust every decision they make and refuse to question them out of blind faith. But I've had enough. I will continue to say that they made a bad decision and fucked up. I don't care how you take that. It's your choice to take my refusal to back down and have faith in the coaching staff as me knowing more than the rest of you. But I'm going to make my stand. I'm damn tired of this bullshit year after year. Fisher pulled the same shit last year.

I've used plenty of rational thought. And I've arrived at my conclusion. A conclusion that isn't popular here.

If you don't like my opinion and don't want it here, ban me. But I'm not changing it because the coaching staff is the coaching staff and they must be brilliant experts that don't make mistakes and have plans that us mere mortals couldn't understand. I stand behind my opinion. The Rams and Fisher fucked up. Unlike last off-season, they had a great candidate willing to interview and they screwed it up. Just when I thought Fisher was starting to get it...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW - why would we assume that Fish offered the OC job to someone who coached an offense that finished BELOW our offense in point production? Because someone likes some of his passing plays? I guess out of all the coaching changes going on in the NFL, Fisher is the only stupid one for not signing this amazing young talent as an OC.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He didn't get offered a HC job. There was a long period of time between Kelly taking the 49ers job and him accepting the job with the Eagles. If we wanted him, we could have made it happen. We didn't.
You wanted him. So? No one else apparently did for their OC vacancy. You want us to give you more credibility in your assessments than anyone actually making their living at it. Got it.