Eagles will hire former Browns OC John DeFilippo as QB coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Although I agree with you I would be interested to see Shurmur after three years under Chip Kelly....
Agree
Coaches evolve and shouldnt be a slave to any one system
I wouldnt be down on this move even though I wanted DeFilipo

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just like the Schotty decision. We passed on the better candidate. Stupid as hell.

Hopefully interviewing Shurmur means they want an OC for a new first round QB. Because that is a monster letdown.
Of course it could mean they offered him the job and he thought he was going to be a HC. No one on this board knows what has transpired and to Fisher's credit we never will.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course it could mean they offered him the job and he thought he was going to be a HC. No one on this board knows what has transpired and to Fisher's credit we never will.

He didn't get offered a HC job. There was a long period of time between Kelly taking the 49ers job and him accepting the job with the Eagles. If we wanted him, we could have made it happen. We didn't.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Although I agree with you I would be interested to see Shurmur after three years under Chip Kelly....I realize it was only one game, but the Eagle offense seemed far better balanced in their last game albeit it was against the defenseless New York Giants.

Not sure if Fisher pulls the trigger on Shurmur, will he vacillate and let Shurmur end up elsewhere and then just give the gig to Boras? Let's hope not and the Rams still need a RB & WR coach so Fisher needs to expedite this process IMHO.

I hope so. Because he's what we're getting. But I know that DeFilippo is a bright mind and the next team that gets him as an OC will be very lucky.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
He didn't get offered a HC job. There was a long period of time between Kelly taking the 49ers job and him accepting the job with the Eagles. If we wanted him, we could have made it happen. We didn't.

so what youre saying is..Jeff Fisher drug his feet on another coaching hire?I find that hard to believe.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I hope so. Because he's what we're getting. But I know that DeFilippo is a bright mind and the next team that gets him as an OC will be very lucky.

Ended up as QB Coach for the Eagles and they hired Jim Schwartz as DC so although I'm not a fan of the Pederson hire, he's putting together a very good staff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ended up as QB Coach for the Eagles and they hired Jim Schwartz as DC so although I'm not a fan of the Pederson hire, he's putting together a very good staff.

Pederson's put together an awesome staff. Except for Reich...but he won't be calling plays so that shouldn't hurt them.

A lot of times, the guys you least expect end up being the best coaches.(Mike McCarthy, John Harbaugh, Bruce Arians [with Indy], Mike Tomlin, Ron Rivera, etc. were not considered awesome head coaching hires) Wouldn't surprise me if Pederson ends up being that. He's smart enough to recognize that he should surround himself with great coaches rather than his best friends.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We who? You have detailed information and insight to what has been happening with this search? Do tell.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We who? You have detailed information and insight to what has been happening with this search? Do tell.

Yes. Yes, I do. My detailed information is that he wasn't hired as a Head Coach and then had plenty of time to accept the Rams OC job before ending up as the Eagles QB Coach. That tends to undermine any argument that he thought he'd be a Head Coach which is why he didn't accept the Rams job. Especially considering our job is CURRENTLY open.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yes. Yes, I do. My detailed information is that he wasn't hired as a Head Coach and then had plenty of time to accept the Rams OC job before ending up as the Eagles QB Coach. That tends to undermine any argument that he thought he'd be a Head Coach which is why he didn't accept the Rams job. Especially considering our job is CURRENTLY open.
Not really. Have you ever been in a job negotiation? Many times if you walk away from the table the offer expires when you hit the door, it is not uncommon. There have been reports that say he was expecting to interview and be in the running for the SF HC job. And taking a QB coach spot makes it sound like the Rams were not the only ones who passed him for an OC spot. If he's such a rising star why isn't he still in Cleveland?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really. Have you ever been in a job negotiation? Many times if you walk away from the table the offer expires when you hit the door, it is not uncommon. There have been reports that say he was expecting to interview and be in the running for the SF HC job.

Except for the fact that we are the ones that had the ability to make the offer. So the Rams could have made the offer any time after they found out he didn't get the SF job.

The offer only "expires" if the Rams refuse to make him the same offer later. Which still makes it a fuck up on the Rams. So I'm not sure how this helps your argument.

And taking a QB coach spot makes it sound like the Rams were not the only ones who passed him for an OC spot. If he's such a rising star why isn't he still in Cleveland?

Because Hue Jackson doesn't run the same system and is going to be calling his own plays. Cleveland wanted to keep him until Hue made a decision. Doesn't make much sense to keep an OC that doesn't run your offense. Especially if you're going to be the one calling plays.

And this line of logic is weak. Remember when we passed on Hue Jackson back in 2012? He didn't even get a job working on the Bengals offense that off-season...much less their OC job. And yet, he was still the same brilliant offensive mind that he was in Oakland and proved that he was still a "rising star." Now, he's a head coach.

I feel very confident that in 3-5 years, DeFilippo will be a NFL OC again (if not more than that) and regarded as one of the best in the business. The Rams fucked up...again.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Then why didn't anyone, including the team that hired him, make him their OC?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then why didn't anyone, including the team that hired him, make him their OC?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/17/hue-jackson-returns-to-the-bengals/
What did the Bengals hire Hue Jackson as in 2012 after we passed on him for Schotty?

Didn't make it any less of a stupid move in hindsight. And many Rams fans, including myself, thought Hue Jackson was the guy we should hired at THAT time.

I don't care what he was hired as. Dude will be an OC again in the NFL and he'll prove what a stupid move the Rams made today.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
(Mike McCarthy, John Harbaugh, Bruce Arians [with Indy], Mike Tomlin, Ron Rivera, etc.

Aaron Rodgers (Brett Favre), Kaepernick on fire, Andrew Luck (Carson Palmer), Ben Roethlesberger, Cam Newton.

Anyone else see a pattern here?

That said - I wanted Difillipo as well, but w/o a QB, I don't think it makes a fucking bit if difference.
And how do you actually KNOW DiFlip didn't turn it down. It's not all the Rams' / Fisher's decision.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron Rodgers (Brett Favre), Kaepernick on fire, Andrew Luck (Carson Palmer), Ben Roethlesberger, Cam Newton.

Anyone else see a pattern here?

That said - I wanted Difillipo as well, but w/o a QB, I don't think it makes a freaking bit if difference.
And how do you actually KNOW DiFlip didn't turn it down. It's not all the Rams' / Fisher's decision.

Yea...good/great HCs find a way to acquire or draft good/great QBs.

The Rams will have every chance to get a QB this off-season.

How do I know he didn't turn the Rams down? I don't. But that just makes the Rams look worse if he did.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Except for the fact that we are the ones that had the ability to make the offer. So the Rams could have made the offer any time after they found out he didn't get the SF job.

The offer only "expires" if the Rams refuse to make him the same offer later. Which still makes it a freak up on the Rams. So I'm not sure how this helps your argument.

Because Hue Jackson doesn't run the same system and is going to be calling his own plays. Cleveland wanted to keep him until Hue made a decision. Doesn't make much sense to keep an OC that doesn't run your offense. Especially if you're going to be the one calling plays.

And this line of logic is weak. Remember when we passed on Hue Jackson back in 2012? He didn't even get a job working on the Bengals offense that off-season...much less their OC job. And yet, he was still the same brilliant offensive mind that he was in Oakland and proved that he was still a "rising star." Now, he's a head coach.

I feel very confident that in 3-5 years, DeFilippo will be a NFL OC again (if not more than that) and regarded as one of the best in the business. The Rams freaked up...again.
I know you think he is great and all and maybe in a while he will progress just like Jackson did but can you tell which Raiders teams were offensive juggernauts under Jackson?

My point is hitching your wagon to someone who flashes doesn't make them all that and a bag of chips. He got a QB coach job. Coming out of Cleveland he is probably lucky to have gotten that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know you think he is great and all and maybe in a while he will progress just like Jackson did but can you tell which Raiders teams were offensive juggernauts under Jackson?

The 2010 Raiders finished 6th in the NFL in points scored with 25.6 PPG with Hue as OC. The 2011 Raiders were averaging 25.8 PPG through their first 6 games before Jason Campbell was lost for the season. They got shutout in the next game due to Kyle Boller's incompetence. Hue Jackson then traded for Carson Palmer who had to learn the offense on the fly and had his ups and downs.

If you couldn't see the brilliance of what he did in Oakland, you weren't paying attention.

My point is hitching your wagon to someone who flashes doesn't make them all that and a bag of chips. He got a QB coach job. Coming out of Cleveland he is probably lucky to have gotten that.

He was not "lucky" to get that. :rolleyes:

My point is that DeFilippo is very good at his job and that will be proven in the future. I don't really care how you want to explain it away. I watched him make lemonade with lemons in Cleveland.

The Rams made a stupid decision. They fucked up by not bringing him in as the OC. You cannot justify the decision to me.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The 2010 Raiders finished 6th in the NFL in points scored with 25.6 PPG with Hue as OC. The 2011 Raiders were averaging 25.8 PPG through their first 6 games before Jason Campbell was lost for the season. They got shutout in the next game due to Kyle Boller's incompetence. Hue Jackson then traded for Carson Palmer who had to learn the offense on the fly and had his ups and downs.

If you couldn't see the brilliance of what he did in Oakland, you weren't paying attention.

He was not "lucky" to get that. :rolleyes:

My point is that DeFilippo is very good at his job and that will be proven in the future. I don't really care how you want to explain it away. I watched him make lemonade with lemons in Cleveland.

The Rams made a stupid decision. They freaked up by not bringing him in as the OC. You cannot justify the decision to me.

Don't worry Jrry if you're lucky you'll get another 30 or 40 years of being disappointed and learn not to be so invested.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't worry Jrry if you're lucky you'll get another 30 or 40 years of being disappointed and learn not to be so invested.

Nah. I'm not going to stop being invested. I'll find another team to be invested in if the Rams continue to make bad decisions.