Eagles TE Zach Ertz: Sam Bradford has stronger arm than Luck

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I don't think anyone ever questioned his arm strength...at least those of us who actually watched Rams games he started. He could use a little touch on the short stuff though. I really like the kid, but can't STAND the thought of him doing well in phucking philly. I wish he had gone to the AFC so it would be easier to root for him.

When we face Philly in the playoffs, I'll be happy to root for Sam to throw powerful shots right to JJ for a pick six ;)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sam without pads or in pre-season, looked to be as good as any QB in the league if not better.
Nobody will deny that.
Its when the games became real that he had his struggles, and of course the injuries were too much to overcome.

That aside, has there ever been an article where a guy came out and said of his new team mate, "Man, I've seen and played with better"....

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Bradford has a stronger arm than Luck....what a headline!? Are they trying to make it like Bradford is better than Luck. My 6 year old is smart enough to know Bradford has a stronger arm. Hardly means anything though.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
When you have no offensive line for years and constantly get the crap beat out of you you're eventually going to get hurt.
If Bradford thrives in Philly the Rams are going to have some splanning to do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I value durability for QBs much more than I used to after having been teased by Bradford over the years.

Despite Goodell implementing rules to keep the QBs safe, upright and able to stay on the field, Bradford still struggled to stay healthy. QBs are protected now, more than ever. How long would Sam have lasted 15 years ago?

Besides, I have always thought there was something missing to Bradford's game. I could never quite put my finger on it. Mentally, he never seemed to be on a level with guys like Rodgers.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I value durability for QBs much more than I used to after having been teased by Bradford over the years.

Despite Goodell implementing rules to keep the QBs safe, upright and able to stay on the field, Bradford still struggled to stay healthy. QBs are protected now, more than ever. How long would Sam have lasted 15 years ago?

Besides, I have always thought there was something missing to Bradford's game. I could never quite put my finger on it. Mentally, he never seemed to be on a level with guys like Rodgers.
I am with you there, I don't think he was ever on the same level as Manning, Luck and Rodgers mentally.

That doesn't stop me from candidly wishing him well when he's not playing us.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sam's arm may be stronger, but Luck is a much better overall athlete...His lower body is just as strong as his upper body...Just a well put together player. Sam looks kind of flimsy...skinny legs...hope he's doing his squats & lunges...ohh, and some yoga too...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Sam has a lot of QB attributes that are better than other good QBs. Unfortunately durability wasn't one of them.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bradford has a stronger arm than Luck....what a headline!? Are they trying to make it like Bradford is better than Luck. My 6 year old is smart enough to know Bradford has a stronger arm. Hardly means anything though.
Just the messenger. I thought it was interesting to see another teams point of view of him. But I agree, we all know he has a cannon. Luck is slightly overrated though.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its all about fit. I believe if Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck played in the Rams offense they'd be just another QB who struggles at times and has occasional good games. The Rams offense was not conducive for good quarterback play for numerous reasons. Lack of talent and lack of coaching was a big part of it. Bradford had to deal with that and his injury woes. Now he'll just have to worry about injuries.

I hope the offense will be all that Fisher envisioned. Because an offense like the one we've had in his tenure makes it hard on a defense. We could have a top 5 defense but if the offense keeps putting the opposition back on the field in good position, they'll struggle to make top 15. Gotta move the chains and score enough to not be one dimensional.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Just the messenger. I thought it was interesting to see another teams point of view of him. But I agree, we all know he has a cannon. Luck is slightly overrated though.

That was not directed at you. Sorry if it came across that way.

A55VA6

Legend
I agree. I would take Luck in a heartbeat for the Rams, but he is a tad overrated.

If you want the complete package of arm strength, accuracy, mobility, etc.. look no further than Aaron Rodgers.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was not directed at you. Sorry if it came across that way.
All good brother. One downside to social media is you can't hear the way someone says something through words on a screen lol

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Of all the shit that surfaces during the off- season, this is really about as fucking stupid as it gets.

BTW, Cutler has a stronger arm than both of them.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I agree. I would take Luck in a heartbeat for the Rams, but he is a tad overrated.

If you want the complete package of arm strength, accuracy, mobility, etc.. look no further than Aaron Rodgers.
I think Luck and Rodgers both possess a trait in that they can overcome the difficult situations they put themselves in. Rodgers will welcome a sack at 2nd and long because he is confident he can convert on 3rd and longer. Luck will turn the ball over and then come back and throw a couple TD's.

Luck had just about as many turnovers as Andy Dalton last year. That is something he may need to work on.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Bradford's arm was never an issue, and it's pretty easy to tell that he has more velocity on this throws than Luck. I remember when he split a receiver's gloves and cut the dude's hand open once (Gilyard, I think?). But sadly, it takes much more than a lively arm to make it in this league. It takes intelligence, adaptability, and durability. Bradford only had 3/4 of what it takes, IMO.

At any rate ........ turn the page.
I think that was Danny A but yeah - arm strength was only an issue to people trying to put him down. Sure wish he had better luck with the injury bug.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
When you have no offensive line for years and constantly get the crap beat out of you you're eventually going to get hurt.
If Bradford thrives in Philly the Rams are going to have some splanning to do.
You got that right Ricky.

However it does seem like Sam was missing something else from his game. Bravery, patience, toughness, and lack of touch come to mind. I will acknowledge that that's all debatable considering the condition of his offensive line though...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sam Bradford
2012 finished 16 games paid $15.6 million/losing season
2013 finished 6 games paid $12.6 million/losing team
2014 finished zero games paid 17.6 million/losing team
Total Games finished in 3 seasons 22 games for 46 mil.

Andrew Luck
2012 finished 16 games paid $4 mil/ wild card playoff
2013 finished 16 games paid $5 mil/ Divisional games
2014 finished 16 games paid $6 mil/ Conference Championship game
Total Games finished in 3 seasons 48 for 15 million

Wonder which team got the better end between these two?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

However it does seem like Sam was missing something else from his game. Bravery, patience, toughness, and lack of touch come to mind. I will acknowledge that that's all debatable considering the condition of his offensive line though...

Don't know about bravery. Lack of touch yeah - I felt that's one area of his game he needed to improve - but I've seen him repeatedly stare down the barrel of a big rush and stand tall and deliver a strike before getting hit. He's as tough as they come when under pressure. Just look at any of his youtube highlights if you want to see that. It was a real strange media construct that he was skittish in the pocket. I just didn't see it at all. Toughness - well he was tough mentally - as I say took shots and always kept his eyes downfield. But his body? That's the million dollar question with him. Something missing? His ability to "elevate"? Well we saw him do that with Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola - and to overcome? I think he was getting there - really beginning to get comfortable with the weapons we'd started putting around him to make huge plays on 3rd and long.

On the field I had absolutely no complaints about him. I felt, and still feel that if he can play 16 games he'll be an absolute star in this league. He's not our QB anymore though and neither are his injury concerns. That's a good thing. Nick Foles can get us to the promised land.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the only thing sammy had missing from his game was a knee that was in good working condition.