Eagles guard Evan Mathis being shopped

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Eagles previously gave Mathis permission to seek trade
Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2014

mathis.jpg
AP

The league’s annual meetings have a way of generating information that previously existed but hadn’t been leaked.

Regarding Eagles guard Evan Mathis, for example, news of a possible trade first surfaced on Wednesday. Per a league source, however, the team gave Mathis permission to seek a trade weeks ago, after Mathis requested a new contract and the team opted not to give him one.

To date, no serious suitors have been found. But Mathis isn’t being shopped because the Eagles want to move on; Mathis is being shopped because he wants a raise that the Eagles don’t want to give him. If Mathis can’t find someone who will, the only alternative will be to return to the Eagles at $5.15 million for 2014.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Too rich I'm afraid. I think we can get Devin Joseph for cheaper right?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Too rich I'm afraid. I think we can get Devin Joseph for cheaper right?

Joseph would certainly be cheaper. I believe he's damaged goods Bo. I doubt we ever see the Joseph you're hoping we sign.

iced

Wish we had the cap room - i'd bet on fisher/snead making this move if they had it

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Dudes to old to give up a draft pick and a raise from 5 mil a year. hes 33

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Joseph would certainly be cheaper. I believe he's damaged goods Bo. I doubt we ever see the Joseph you're hoping we sign.
You don't think a change of scenery will give him new life or are you saying his body is damaged enough to allow high performance?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You don't think a change of scenery will give him new life or are you saying his body is damaged enough to allow high performance?

From what I've heard down here on sports radio... His injuries are going to prevent him from returning to his peek form.

His recent on field performance seems to support that theory.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the Eagles are seeking a third-round pick for LG Evan Mathis.

Prior to the Combine, Mathis' reps went to the Eagles and asked for a new contract. The organization instead suggested they explore the trade market. Mathis has been among the game's best guards for three straight years, but isn't a scheme fit everywhere due to his size and will turn 33 in November. If the Eagles do end up finding a trade partner, they'd likely plug in Allen Barbre at left guard.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the Eagles are seeking a third-round pick for LG Evan Mathis.

Prior to the Combine, Mathis' reps went to the Eagles and asked for a new contract. The organization instead suggested they explore the trade market. Mathis has been among the game's best guards for three straight years, but isn't a scheme fit everywhere due to his size and will turn 33 in November. If the Eagles do end up finding a trade partner, they'd likely plug in Allen Barbre at left guard.

And I'm seeking Meghan Markle. Don't mean I'm going to get it. :LOL:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not so sure when our HC says that Zac Stacy will see the ball as our RB about 70% of the time leaving 30% for the rest of the runners like Austin/Cunningham/Richardson/Pead ....would you pay millions for a over 6-5/298 OLG blocking for Stacy. Mathis is skinnier than Harvey Dahl who was 6-5 306 pounder and is 33 yrs too.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Interesting how he's turned his career around so late. I remember when he was considered a draft bust.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not so sure when our HC says that Zac Stacy will see the ball as our RB about 70% of the time leaving 30% for the rest of the runners like Austin/Cunningham/Richardson/Pead ....would you pay millions for a over 6-5/298 OLG blocking for Stacy. Mathis is skinnier than Harvey Dahl who was 6-5 306 pounder and is 33 yrs too.
I doubt the guy is under 300 lbs. Teams never update that info for press stuff.
He is 33 and looking for a big payday before his career is over. Can't blame him for that. I wouldn't be interested at that price let alone adding in a raise.
Dude should be happy with $5.5 M and play his ass off. If you play well enough age won't matter. Plenty of G have played into their late 30s.