Eagles' Carson Wentz fires back at criticism over 'hunting buddy' dog

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This may be difficult for some, considering the topic, but be careful this thread doesn't go over the cliff and get locked due to an infusion of politics or religion. (y)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Manufactured controversy, in it's finest.

What pi$$es me off is the "OMG someone might be offended" mentality. So what. Be offended. And then go F yourself.

I like the way Wentz handled it too. Dude is class.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not a huge fan of hunting, nor am I particularly religious at all, but Wentz is fine in my book.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I will never understand how people get enjoyment from killing other living things for fun.

Hunting isn't for everyone. My Dad never hunted and thinks the same as you, yet my brother and I love it. I used to hunt small game, like grouse, squirrels, rabbits but it has gotten so difficult to find places to hunt, since every time a farmer dies his kids sell the farm to a developer and put in a subdivision. Removal of habitat kills more game than hunters do.

Hunting is a more humane way to go. The animal is free for its whole life, not in a corral, living in feces and herded and fed. Both go down with one shot. But, there is a satisfaction to hunting, shooting, and processing your own kill. And having a rifle doesn't mean you are guaranteed to shoot a deer. They are instinctual smart animals that know how to avoid hunters.

CVita

UDFA
Name
Chris
What I find funny... actually no, disturbing... is the outrage over the "outrage". People are getting all worked up over the "political correctness" of it all, and bemoaning the fate/state of society because of... one tweet? By one guy? Who said that he appreciated the sentiment but that the "content COULD offend?" (my emphasis). Really? We're going to get all worked up over that one tweet, blast it on the front page of major news organizations, and scream that the world is going to hell in a hand-basket because ONE guy said that somebody else, some unnamed and unidentified people, COULD be offended?

And then we scream about being too sensitive? Seriously, who is being sensitive here? I checked the whole twitter thread, and unless I missed something Wentz wasn't being slammed by anybody. One guy, who appears to support hunting, thought that others might be offended and tried to pre-emptively protect Wentz. And everybody else is getting upset because... why again? As far as I can tell there is no righteous crusade to get Wentz thrown in jail, so I'm not sure where the outrage over the "outrage" is coming from.

I'm sure PETA will now take this opportunity to say something, because that's what they do. And the "controversy" which did not exist, will now exist. But come on. Nobody was, or even is, upset by Wentz's photo. And yet we're all going to get mad at these people who don't even exist, and call THEM too sensitive?

Manufactured controversy, in it's finest.
If the guy was genuinely concerned about Wentz being criticized, maybe he could have Direct Messaged him to make him aware. Just seems like he was trying to draw attention to it. That's life as we know it today. Everything is a controversy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The idea that things offend someone is fine.

This is an important statement @fearsomefour because it couldn't be truer. Millions of things can be offensive to some people, or even a very, very small number, or even a large number. Unless it involves hatred or a crime it's OK that someone doesn't like it. Not everyone has to like and dislike the exact same things. And that's so obvious I cannot understand why everyone doesn't feel that way.

Most rap music is offensive to me because of the content of the lyrics, I find much of it to be pretty bad, some of it is offensive as hell. To me. But if someone wants to listen to it go ahead.

Not a fan of most religions either.

Human beings worst invention. Ever.

What pi$$es me off is the "OMG someone might be offended" mentality. So what. Be offended. And then go F yourself.

I agree but without the go fuck yourself part, and here's why. When something offends me I don't want someone saying that to me. My example above, rap music, specifically the hardcore shit. I don't like it, but I don't think someone should tell me to go fuck myself over that feeling. No more than I would tell a friend who does like rap to go fuck himself since he doesn't like rock.

I think too often what happens is people blur the line between "don't like that" to "that's offensive" so fucking much that only a reaction isn't enough, it has to be a reciol. And IMO that has WAY more to do with our nations consumption of (faked) reality shows than the PC movement.

I'm old enough to remember when the PC movement was "born", and it was WAY more about being respectful to others individuality, and I think at it's core it still is like that. This shit we see today though, particularly on social media, is simply an attempt to screech about something in an attempt to snuff it out. That's fine in cases where humanity is void, like Neo-Nazi's or Isis to use two extreme examples. But overall pretty much almost everything, for example Wentz posting hunting pictures, doesn't call for any kind of a reaction at all from people who don't like it or disagree with hunting. But the drama queen mentality of TV has instilled that into enough Americans that people "think" they should react the way they see TV characters react.

Just my opinion..........

fearsomefour

Legend
This is an important statement @fearsomefour because it couldn't be truer. Millions of things can be offensive to some people, or even a very, very small number, or even a large number. Unless it involves hatred or a crime it's OK that someone doesn't like it. Not everyone has to like and dislike the exact same things. And that's so obvious I cannot understand why everyone doesn't feel that way.

Most rap music is offensive to me because of the content of the lyrics, I find much of it to be pretty bad, some of it is offensive as hell. To me. But if someone wants to listen to it go ahead.

Human beings worst invention. Ever.

I agree but without the go freak yourself part, and here's why. When something offends me I don't want someone saying that to me. My example above, rap music, specifically the hardcore crap. I don't like it, but I don't think someone should tell me to go freak myself over that feeling. No more than I would tell a friend who does like rap to go freak himself since he doesn't like rock.

I think too often what happens is people blur the line between "don't like that" to "that's offensive" so freaking much that only a reaction isn't enough, it has to be a reciol. And IMO that has WAY more to do with our nations consumption of (faked) reality shows than the PC movement.

I'm old enough to remember when the PC movement was "born", and it was WAY more about being respectful to others individuality, and I think at it's core it still is like that. This crap we see today though, particularly on social media, is simply an attempt to screech about something in an attempt to snuff it out. That's fine in cases where humanity is void, like Neo-Nazi's or Isis to use two extreme examples. But overall pretty much almost everything, for example Wentz posting hunting pictures, doesn't call for any kind of a reaction at all from people who don't like it or disagree with hunting. But the drama queen mentality of TV has instilled that into enough Americans that people "think" they should react the way they see TV characters react.

Just my opinion..........
Even hatred is fine in speech. The old market place of ideas will sort that out.
People who throw bumper sticker ideas around like (a bumper sticker I saw the other week) "Hate speech is not protected speech"
People with this mentality have no idea about the constitution or bill of rights....either in letter or spirit. Encouraging violence in a real way etc no, basically everything else? Yes.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
A Panda walks into a burger joint, orders a burger, then pulls out a gun and shoots the waiter and leaves.

The waiter looks up and says "what the hell's wrong with you"?

And the Panda says, " don't you know Panda's eat shoots and leaves"?

Ellard80

Legend
I can tell that Wentz and myself would have very little in common... However there is zero of anything he posted that's offensive.

Welcome to the twitter-sphere.

Ellard80

Legend

I will never understand how people get enjoyment from killing other living things for fun.

Well.. do you eat living things that were killed? Hunting has never really sounded interesting to me.. but our moral compass when it comes to animals makes zero sense.

We will eat a hamburger from a cow systmatically killed.... but if someone gets caught for dog fighting were outraged...

We you rather: Fight with another? or be executed and eaten?
Both are negative... but yeah nothing we think about animals makes much sense.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even hatred is fine in speech. The old market place of ideas will sort that out.
People who throw bumper sticker ideas around like (a bumper sticker I saw the other week) "Hate speech is not protected speech"
People with this mentality have no idea about the constitution or bill of rights....either in letter or spirit. Encouraging violence in a real way etc no, basically everything else? Yes.

According to the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) there isn't any recognition of what we call "hate" speech. Some equate "hate" speech as being a true exception to the 1st Amendment which is "fighting words" which SCOTUS said differently in R.A.V v. City of St. Paul (1992):

" the City of St. Paul tried to specifically punish bigoted fighting words, the Supreme Court held that this selective prohibition was unconstitutional (R.A.V. v. City of St. Paul (1992)." Also, even when a scumbag is saying horrific things about groups of people, even if they say things like those groups don't "deserve to live," it's still protected speech unless he/she/they incite a crowd to immediate violence.

In Matal vs Tam, SCOTUS ruled that "hate" speech found in the name of a rock band "The Slants" could not be the basis to deny a trademark in a 8-0 ruling this year.

Last edited:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I lived in Eastern Oregon on the Idaho stateline for only about 2 years, and you hunted. It's what you do. Duck, pheasant, deer, elk, chukar. This was nearly 40 years ago for me now. A different life. But I completely understand. It's as common as breathing if you are from that part of the country.

fearsomefour

Legend
According to the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) there isn't any recognition of what we call "hate" speech. Some equate "hate" speech as being a true exception to the 1st Amendment which is "fighting words" which SCOTUS said differently in R.A.V v. City of St. Paul (1992):

" the City of St. Paul tried to specifically punish bigoted fighting words, the Supreme Court held that this selective prohibition was unconstitutional (R.A.V. v. City of St. Paul (1992)." Also, even when a scumbag is saying horrific things about groups of people, even if they say things like those groups don't "deserve to live," it's still protected speech unless he/she/they incite a crowd to immediate violence.

In Matal vs Tam, SCOTUS ruled that "hate" speech found in the name of a rock band "The Slants" could not be the basis to deny a trademark on the name in a 8-0 ruling this year.
I know.
That is my point.
You said a few posts ago "unless it involves hatred or a crime"....those are two different things.
That's what I was responding to.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I tried hard to find something offensive with the story and couldn't.

No I've never been a hunter, yes I know a hunter who collects a lot of trophies but I'm fine with it.

The thing is with social media any time you post a pic with dead animals/creatures then there will be some flack. There was a pic a few years back of a family posing with a kill and people were going ballistic on FB really going off for nothing. Saying those people should be killed and what not. Just shows the ignorance out there vs hunters. Stupid people on SM.

I agree with the prev post about the idiot hunting that lion and killing anything in a "Safe zone" but other than that a lot of hunters eat their kills or are helping to "thin the herd" so animals don't starve to death. Some countries/cities with overpopulated animals welcome hunters to help with that.

And I've never eaten goose but I heard it's pretty good and would love to try it. Anytime you can save money and get fresh game that is awesome. I'm sure Wentz stcoks his big freezer or gives extras to friends.

Oh yeah and Jack Youngblood used go hunting with a few Ram buddies every offseason. Bud Grant hunted too. No one freaked out.

I wish I knew how to fish, I would definitely eat more per week.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Dude has a working dog, that he lets "work"....I'm more upset with the people that leave a dog in the back, in the house....every day all day...maybe walk them to shit and piss...on lawns btw....and then puts them back in their place at their home...

Dogs need activity....working dogs need more... just my 2 cents.

My example above, rap music, specifically the hardcore crap. I don't like it, but I don't think someone should tell me to go freak myself over that feeling.
Fuck yourself Les! :rolllaugh:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know.
That is my point.
You said a few posts ago "unless it involves hatred or a crime"....those are two different things.
That's what I was responding to.

Actually,I never said any such thing...and wouldn't

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I saw a funny bumper sticker the other day that said

"Jesus would slap the shit out of you"

As was said earlier we have created a drama queen mentality where everything is extreme. Have you read a bag of Doritos recently or other food products. I almost feel like I should be wearing a helmet before opening a bag. Every little happening is considered crazy insane and the overuse of the word literally is off the charts, or litteraly, crazy insane. The word literally is used to add to the drama. At work I hear people say things like, so this rabbit literally ran out in front of me, or I literally cut myself on that paper, or this guy literally sounded like Morgan Freeman.