E. J. Gaines

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
He played pretty damn well for a first game. That first drive, had he hauled in that int, he's headed to the house. Could have been a momentum changer. But I love that he was there and broke up the pass.

He was beat by a TD pass, only by inches, and it was a catch that doesn't happen 9 times out of 10. I don't know how he could have covered any better.

Despite the score, Rams far outplayed the Vikings in the air.

Over all, I was very impressed, all things considered.

Athos

Legend
Very impressed by our secondary. NEVER would have said that last season, no matter the opponent.

Jenkins usually stuck his man every time, even getting AP to the turf a time or two. Jenkins looks much improved under GW than over his head Walton.

McDonald laid wood.

And yep. Gaines going up against a 9 year vet and contained him outside of a very good TD haul by Jennings.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Agreed, I'm happy the way he played. Amazing how worried we were about our secondary and not worried about our OL during the preseason (at least me, anyway) compared to how things look after yesterday. I'm pretty happy with the way our secondary played yesterday, and even when Tru comes back, it looks like EJ will provide solid depth.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Gaines certainly showed he belonged. He has came on much faster than expected (out of a 6th round pick...)

Athos

Legend
Gaines certainly showed he belonged. He has came on much faster than expected (out of a 6th round pick...)

Kept telling people he's going to play with a massive chip on his shoulder for not getting drafted sooner, like in the 3rd or 4th round. Dude turned Evans into a high school WR.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah actually both our safeties had some good hits ,McD had more, Gains did well he's a gamer for sure ,and Aaron Donald lived up to expectation.
I wonder how many teams in this league wouldn't have lost playing half a game with a kid who was going to get cut but for the #1 QB going down,if we'd competed yesterday Austin Davis would have been the lead story .

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Gaines played very well. Jenkins, too. Loved his run support.

We've got a hungry young secondary in the makings. McDonald is a borderline beast.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Kept telling people he's going to play with a massive chip on his shoulder for not getting drafted sooner, like in the 3rd or 4th round. Dude turned Evans into a high school WR.
He'll probably get his chance to do it again next week.

Greg Stone

Rookie
The one big disagreement I had with Gordon's game grades was his giving the secondary an "F" although I understand the emotional urge to give every part of the team an "F".

Athos

Legend
The one big disagreement I had with Gordon's game grades was his giving the secondary an "F" although I understand the emotional urge to give every part of the team an "F".

I've learned the PD does the bait game for clicks. Either rout everything and everyone with negativity or be hopelessly optimistic.

Not sure how you can give an F to the secondary when they kept the passing game to 170 yards and 2 TDs while playing with a short porch more often than they deserved.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I think it was Gaines and Mcleod that made a stop on 3rd down when the TE was rumbling along the sideline, they smacked him and stopped him 1 yard short... That was an epic play! The secondary had a good day

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Gordo is a dumbass, and his dumbassery precedes his most recent game grades. Factor that in any time you read something of his.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Very impressed by our secondary. NEVER would have said that last season, no matter the opponent.

Jenkins usually stuck his man every time, even getting AP to the turf a time or two. Jenkins looks much improved under GW than over his head Walton.

McDonald laid wood.

And yep. Gaines going up against a 9 year vet and contained him outside of a very good TD haul by Jennings.
Agree with what you said, and I really do have to re-watch the game, but I was actually very impressed with Jenkins' tackling one some plays. There were definitely some plays to cheer for.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

McDonald laid wood.

Jenkins played the run VERY VERY well yesterday. Kept his man at arms length then shedded the block to take down AP. He did this like 3 or 4 times.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Not sure how you can give an F to the secondary

Maybe not an F but I was not as satisfied as others seem to be. I didn't like the soft coverage paired with a predictable blitz I thought we would not see any more post-Walton. Cassell was 7-8 for 75 yds on 3rd down. The better news is these completions only amounted to 3 first downs, but I hate the bend-don't-break philosophy. Defenses need to attack & create turnovers, not give up 9 yards on 3rd and 10 and a field goal and call it a good day. I agree with the optimism about Gaines individually, but the F grade for the collective unit that allowed two passing TDs and zero INTs wasn't far off.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You'd think that with the d-line offering little in the way of pressure, the DB's would be exposed. Didnt happen.
I'm pretty happy with the way they played, when the Dline plays up to potential? Wow

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The TD he allowed at the end of the first half, broke our backs...In the endzone, most DB's will play tight man coverage...if you allow the wr space to do what he wants, the results are predictable. Now, did coaches ask them to play this loose? Is it because he can't play man coverage? IDK....If he can't play man to man, he doesn't need to be in the game...Tackling aside, we need MORE from a starting corner....
Again, it seemed, we are playing not to loose, instead of trying to win....Challenge every blade of grass.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

Want to hear something exciting?

He gets to turn Evans into a high school receiver next week too.

TShram03

UDFA
We have four very good young cornerbacks on the team (Jenkins, Tru, Gaines, Joyner) and a good young safety (McDonald).

Football instincts, toughness, athleticism. It's all there in that package of five.

Be patient. They're all 25 and younger. The only thing to be added is consistency and that is coming with experience.