E.J. Gaines, Trumaine Johnson jockeying for starting CB Job/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's clear (as it has been for awhile) that the Rams value Janoris Jenkins a lot more than the fans. I'd say for what he can be. Frustrating player but he has the talent to be a great player and the Rams clearly want to push him to be that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the best players will start. the coaches aren't concerned about who will and won't be with them next season. they're trying to win this season.

RamWoodie

Legend
Folks...I have to disagree with the projection. I don't see Gaines beating out Tru at all!!! I could be wrong, but I just don't see that.

Gaines had his moments last year...no doubt about that...but they were just that...MOMENTS!!! That's very different from every down.

I see Gaines as excellent depth...and the primary nickle guy. He just doesn't beat out Tru J.
I admit the writer said *if* Gaines wins the job...THAT IS A BIG IF!!

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Folks...I have to disagree with the projection. I don't see Gaines beating out Tru at all!!! I could be wrong, but I just don't see that.

Gaines had his moments last year...no doubt about that...but they were just that...MOMENTS!!! That's very different from every down.

I see Gaines as excellent depth...and the primary nickle guy. He just doesn't beat out Tru J.
Tru better hope your right because he's playing for a big contract and a lot of money is at stake just ask Joe Barksdale.

WestCoastRam

Legend

the best players will start. the coaches aren't concerned about who will and won't be with them next season. they're trying to win this season.

Yeah, but it would be in the teams best interest if the best players happen to be Gaines on the outside and Joyner at nickel. For our long term future, that eliminates the need to consider resigning Tru.

I've got to respectfully disagree. I'd love some other observers here on Gaines. But he was a revelation! Sure, I thought he had some moments in the beginning but what blew me away was the consistency. It stopped being moments after awhile and was just consistent coverage and pass breakups with some INT to boot. The only thing I didn't really pay attention to with him was run stuffing. Plus, I'm not sure how much they asked him to jam at the line of scrimmage.

RamWoodie

Legend
Yeah, but it would be in the teams best interest if the best players happen to be Gaines on the outside and Joyner at nickel. For our long term future, that eliminates the need to consider resigning Tru.

I've got to respectfully disagree. I'd love some other observers here on Gaines. But he was a revelation! Sure, I thought he had some moments in the beginning but what blew me away was the consistency. It stopped being moments after awhile and was just consistent coverage and pass breakups with some INT to boot. The only thing I didn't really pay attention to with him was run stuffing. Plus, I'm not sure how much they asked him to jam at the line of scrimmage.
No problem WCR...it's going to come out after camp/preseason as to who wins the job, and then we'll know.

Keep in mind, I'm in no way knocking Gaines...but don't forget Tru got injured,...which is why Gaines played more.

Make a note of that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I sure think that Trumaine Johnson will have some serious internal drive to upgrade his play after last season. TJ 2014 season was by far his worse. Injury & inconsistent play were the two biggies.

The Fact that both our main starting CB's are in their final yr on their rookie contracts is the cherry on top to push them to have a great 2015 season. Tru's size is a very big need when your other top four CB's are 5-8, 5-10, 5-11 & 5-10! Tru's 210 pound thin long frame has worked well with the West D taller/bigger WR over the last few yrs.

EJ Gaines on the other-hand was what Tru was not in 2014 solid/consistent. Gaines is also around 20 pounds lighter & 4 inches shorter. EJ will be here for another 3 seasons as one of our starters, its up for JJ & Tru to secure the other post in 2016 with what they can do now.

If all 3 are healthy & all playing well then who is on the field may be determined by who the WR's are on our opponents! Its a wonderful thing to have 3 young talent CB's ready to start on this team. I sure hope to sit back & enjoy.

This article brings up the Gaines/Johnson battle but there will be other battles ongoing too. Our most versatile corner Lamarcus Joyner went through his rookie season battling a trio of nagging injuries. Our fast corner Brandon McGee had another injury filled season & was IR'd. Then the most surprising rookie of all was Marcus Roberson who threw down & stomped on his "A Non Tackling Tag". So Gregg has six CB's pretty well set going into 2015 as far as where they all shake out in playing time will depend on them.

Finally here what I saw from Tru's play last season is hard to erase from my memory...it was bad. Either his knee was never sound when he returned or he is not as good as I thought. We will see......

lockdnram21

Legend
i think Tru starts week 1. The only decent receiver Gaines covered was Maclin. Also i dont think Tru was all the way healed. Think Gajnes will be in the slot

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
personally I'd keep Johnson, and if someone has to compete for a job, put Jenkins and Gaines up against each other, and tell them "Fish or cut Bait!"
( Not that I think for one minute that the Rams won't keep all three!)

RamWoodie

Legend
However it comes out, I think we all agree the Rams have the talent to be a really solid secondary that is young and fast.

Now we just need them to play as a UNIT!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just curious... @BonifayRam , what does everyone have against Brandon McGee? I mean, he struggled against the Bears....2 of the best wr combo's in the game...I think he basically just held a bunch in that game...I think he's the most physical corner on the damn team...He just wasn't given a job like JJ, Tru, Joyner....at least Gaines earned his after Tru's injury...but he was kinda given his spot too...I also like Roberson too....good problem to have I say...esp after that DB debacle in ...2010? 2012? When they were dropping like flies...

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/07/19/st-louis-rams-roster-preview-defensive-backs/

janoris-jenkins-nfl-st.-louis-rams-san-diego-chargers-850x560.jpg

Nov 23, 2014; San Diego, CA, USA; St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins (21) runs 99 yards for a touchdown after intercepting a Phillip Rivers pass during the first half at Qualcomm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

St. Louis Rams Roster Preview: Defensive Backs
by Matt LaPan 1d ago

Defensive Backs on the Roster: EJ Gaines, Janoris Jenkins, Tru Johnson, Marcus Roberson, Rodney McLeod, TJ McDonald, Lamarcus Joyner, Mark Barron, Cody Davis, Maurice Alexander, Imoan Claiborne, Brandon McGee, Montell Garner, Jacob Hagen, Jay Hughes, Christian Bryant

(who I like colored) McLeod is on my shit list

The strength of the St. Louis Rams defense lies in their front seven. General Manager Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher have built one of the more feared defensive fronts in all of football. Even with all of this strength, they did not neglect the defensive backfield.

The Rams defense was 19th in the NFL in passing yards allowed in 2014 behind a young group highlighted by E.J. Gaines, Janoris Jenkins, T.J. McDonald and Rodney McLeod. This group, along with Lamarcus Joyner, Trumaine Johnson and Mark Barron were a tough, physical group who showed growth as the season progressed. The entire group is 26 years old or younger, with the 26 year old Jenkins playing the role of “elder statesman”.

Cornerbacks

The Rams have a solid group of young, big cornerbacks. The group all run taller than 5’10”, with Jenkins being the shortest. Each of the group displays great strength and a strong frame, allowing them to be physical at the line of scrimmage.

The two players that will likely be the starters are Jenkins and Gaines. Jenkins is entering his fourth NFL season, and has emerged as a clear number one cornerback on the Rams. He has a stout, strong build that allows him to be extremely physical at the line of scrimmage – making him a great fit for Fisher’s defense. He provides good support in run defense, evident by his 59 tackles in 2014. He took a bit of a step back on pass defense, defending only five passes after defending 14 in each of his first two seasons. Jenkins did intercept two passes, returning both of them for touchdowns.

Across from Jenkins is Gaines. After being selected in the sixth round last year, he emerged as a clear starter. Gaines collected 70 tackles in his rookie season, showing great toughness in run support. He also defended 15 passes and grabbed two interceptions. He showed great ball skills, making him a great match with Jenkins.

The Rams also have a great backup plan in Johnson. He is the tallest and longest cornerback of the group at 6’2” with long arms. As a backup, Johnson grabbed a team-high three interceptions in just nine games – one of which he returned for a touchdown. Johnson also defended six passes.

The other backup option will likely be second-year player Marcus Roberson. While he did not have an impactful rookie season, Roberson has great size and length. He is physical and has good ball skills. If he emerges as a legitimate backup option, he could help elevate the Rams defense to another level.
(what happened to Brandon McGee??!!??)

Safety’s

The Rams have a very versatile and intriguing group of safety’s. They use the athletic group to provide support in the run game, and to blitz and provide extra pass rush. The group is led by McDonald and McLeod. They were third and fourth on the team in tackles, respectively. McDonald collected over 100 tackles, including two sacks, seven passes defensed and an interception. He uses his big frame to play like another linebacker on the Rams defense, while also providing a toughness over the middle of the field.

McLeod showed that he is a bit more of a deep safety, using his quickness to provide good help over the top. He defended six passes and grabbed two interceptions. He also forced two fumbles and recovered two more, showing he has a nose for the ball.

His job could be in trouble, however. The Rams brought in former top-ten pick Mark Barron in a trade with Tampa Bay during the 2014 season. He has great size and good skills, and appears to be a better fit for Fisher’s system. Barron collected three sacks in nine games, making him a great option to blitz and make plays. He could push for either McDonald’s or McLeod’s job.

The Rams also have a very good option to play multiple positions in Joyner. He has good quickness And Coverage skills, showing he can play as a slot cornerback or a safety. He collected 40 tackles in 2014, and is poised to play a bigger role in 2015.

The remainder of players that will likely make the roster are special teams players. The likely candidates are Davis and Alexander. They both have great quickness and provide great toughness and tackling ability.

Projected Depth Chart

LCB – E.J. Gaines; Trumaine Johnson

RCB – Janoris Jenkins; Marcus Roberson

(italicized are MY picks)
FS – Rodney McLeod; Lamarcus Joyner; Mark Barron

SS – T.J. McDonald; Cody Davis; Maurice Alexander

(how is Cody still on the squad?)