E.J. Gaines, Trumaine Johnson jockeying for starting CB Job/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
E.J. Gaines, Trumaine Johnson jockeying for starting corner job
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ine-johnson-jockeying-for-starting-corner-job

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- With the St. Louis Rams set to open training camp at the end of the month, we'll spend the rest of this week taking a look at four of the position battles worth watching as camp approaches.

The Rams report for training camp on July 29.

The position: Cornerback

The contenders: E.J. Gaines, Trumaine Johnson

Outlook: Just a year ago, Gaines was a sixth-round pick with sleeper potential who was working diligently just to make the roster. Then starting cornerbacks Johnson and Janoris Jenkins suffered injuries in the preseason and Gaines suddenly found himself getting work with the first team. By the time all was said and done, Gaines started 15 games and emerged as one of the league's biggest rookie surprises. Along the way, Gaines played 899 snaps with 70 tackles, two fumble recoveries and two interceptions. He started games on the outside opposite Jenkins and later moved into the nickel role when Lamarcus Joyner suffered an injury and Johnson returned from his. Johnson, meanwhile, played in nine games with five starts. He managed 36 tackles and three interceptions when healthy but has had a series of stops and starts in his three years with the team. Now, Johnson enters a contract year along with Jenkins while Gaines looks to be entering his prime after a promising debut season.

Projection: The Rams have an interesting decision to make here because there's a trickle down effect that figures to come into play. If Gaines wins the job on the outside, the team would then have to decide between moving Gaines inside in the nickel with Johnson outside or leaving Gaines on the outside with Joyner in the slot. So it's still quite possible that both players could be on the field together regularly. It seems unlikely the Rams will keep both Jenkins and Johnson on long-term deals after this season and Jenkins would be their firm choice if they had to decide right now which means the team might find the better option to plan for the long term by opting for the younger choices in the short term. So the guess here is that Gaines wins the job opposite Jenkins with Joyner in the slot and Johnson and Marcus Roberson serving as the primary depth.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thanks @RamBill figured you'd have this up.....Interesting take by Nick...Anybody got a clue why he feels the "younger" db will play? Seems as if they gotta be around the same age...and best should play...

My take, Tru will start...Gaines will move in the slot....Joyner just is too small for me....Tavon factor working overtime here...

Big Game

Living The Dream
I think Gaines starts and Tru/Joyner could possibly split time inside. To be honest i would rather haver Gaines and Tru starting on the outside. And believe me i love what Jenkins does when his head is in the game.

But man when he checks out he gives up big plays alot.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Thanks @RamBill figured you'd have this up.....Interesting take by Nick...Anybody got a clue why he feels the "younger" db will play? Seems as if they gotta be around the same age...and best should play...

My take, Tru will start...Gaines will move in the slot....Joyner just is too small for me....Tavon factor working overtime here...
I think he means "younger" in league and contract age, as it relates to his point about team control (EJ is just in his second year of 4 yrs under contract whereas Tru is a free agent). His logic is that because the Rams can't afford two big CB contracts next offseason, Tru is leaving, so it would be better to entrench EJ now on the outside.

I don't think I'm swayed by that logic -- too many assumptions behind it of who's staying, who's going, and lots of unknowns/injuries/etc to live thru first. And most important I think coaching will want to put the best talent on the field this season. Worry about next season then. Let the competition sort out what the best combo of outside-slot personnel ends up...

Av8R

UDFA
I think Gaines starts and Tru/Joyner could possibly split time inside. To be honest i would rather haver Gaines and Tru starting on the outside. And believe me i love what Jenkins does when his head is in the game.

But man when he checks out he gives up big plays alot.

I'm with you. I would really like to see Gaines and Tru on the outside. I don't get that good feeling with Jenkins anymore. Sounds like the Rams would rather keep him over TRu though according to Nick and that disappoints me. Oh well...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm not very pleased to hear that JJ is favored. I've never understood how we can be so careful and take so few chances on big or bad plays on offense, yet allow a guy who's whole game is built on taking chances on defense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Should be some great competition going on in camp!
I Like Joyner, but I do worry about his size, a little! ( No Pun intended)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Here's the reality, they'll be moving around a lot. This whole concept of being outside, inside only needs to die. Sure, the majority of plays they'll be on one side or another. The other times they'll be matched up with the WR and move around as he does.

That simple.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Here's the reality, they'll be moving around a lot. This whole concept of being outside, inside only needs to die. Sure, the majority of plays they'll be on one side or another. The other times they'll be matched up with the WR and move around as he does.

That simple.
Right on, we have a deep secondary, and as they get more experienced, it's just going to be all about who you want covering who, regardless of where they're lined up.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I'm not very pleased to hear that JJ is favored. I've never understood how we can be so careful and take so few chances on big or bad plays on offense, yet allow a guy who's whole game is built on taking chances on defense.
Yep lots of Rams choices seem like they conflict logically (gather huge OL while going small on DL, always punt inside their 40 yet fake punt from own 20, etc.) ... I wonder with JJ though, would people talk about his gambling nature so much if he had better safety help? I mean, all CBs gamble, it's just the skill to know when the opportunity outweighs the risk that separates the great ones. JJ's gambling gets exposed because it results in so many costly, long knife-twisting TDs. Either he's misjudging situations where he has help or the safeties aren't helping out as much as they should (it is a team game after all)... probably both. What's more important to me with JJ is when we've seen him isolated on other team's #1s his coverage has been awful at times. So it's not the gambling for me as much as asking if he can simply be a consistent cover corner or not.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I would put my money on Gaines starting opposite of JJ and Gaines moves inside and Tru on the outside. I'm sorry but our CBs will suffer from the sorry play from our FS. I will admit that McLeod has improved and he hits like a truck but in coverage he's below average. God I hope I'm wrong.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would put my money on Gaines starting opposite of JJ and Gaines moves inside and Tru on the outside. I'm sorry but our CBs will suffer from the sorry play from our FS. I will admit that McLeod has improved and he hits like a truck but in coverage he's below average. God I hope I'm wrong.
As far as our Safeties go. Don't underestimate McDonald, Barron, and Joyner. I expect Big thing from them this year!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Never was talking about the FS and did they switch Joyner?
You said and I quote "I'm sorry but our CB's will suffer from sorry play by our FS."
That's what I was responding to. And the use Joyner as both CB and Safety.

Alan

Legend
I don't think it matters very much because I predict that we'll be seeing a lot of all 4 of them. For various reasons.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
You said and I quote "I'm sorry but our CB's will suffer from sorry play by our FS."
That's what I was responding to. And the use Joyner as both CB and Safety.
Oops I forgot the comma after the the Never in my post. I am referring to the Free safety. McDonald is outstanding but he's are strong safety. Barron is only a strong safety and hybrid LB in my opinion. I remember Joyner playing safety at practice because of injuries but not in games.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think Tru is a better candidate to keep at this point. Big corners are difficult to find these days and he has more consistency than Jenkins. He also appears to have a much clearer head than Jenkins and his off-the-field behavior isn't quite as concerning.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I remember Joyner playing safety at practice because of injuries but not in games.
This is why they can rotate him between the two positions, CB and Safety. I think he could do it!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
As far as our Safeties go. Don't underestimate McDonald, Barron, and Joyner. I expect Big thing from them this year!!
Don't forget

temp_SR34290--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
#31 Mo Alexander....