E.J. Gaines doubtful for Sunday/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
E.J. Gaines doubtful for Sunday
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14999/e-j-gaines-doubtful-for-sunday

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams will likely be without starting cornerback E.J. Gaines on Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks.

Gaines, who suffered a concussion against the New York Giants last week is officially listed as doubtful for this week after sitting out practice again Friday. Without Gaines, the Rams will likely have to turn to Lamarcus Joyner and Marcus Roberson to fill the void.

“I think they need to play," coach Jeff Fisher said. "That’s what happens when somebody goes down, unfortunately, but someone else gets some reps. Obviously, Marcus had the Kansas City start which was good. We’ll expect him to play both outside and then use (safety) Rodney (McLeod) as well as Lamarcus inside.”

As for the rest of the injury report, the only three other Rams listed are considered probable for Sunday. That list includes cornerback Janoris Jenkins, center Scott Wells and defensive end Chris Long.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Damn. EJ is our best corner. It's for the best to hold him out though, and I hope he's OK

TexasRam

Legend
Let's hold ej out. We need better draft position.

One last draft for us to hold onto our jobs...need to move up that board.

Good idea Fish

Alan

Legend
The draft position is unimportant to me in comparison to what's best for his health. I hope he's playing if he's OK though cause I really want to beat the Seahags.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Damn it, TJ.

We should also hold Scott Wells out as a precaution.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Not our best corner.. he is needed though

The only one who doesn't get toasted on a weekly basis. I prefer consistency over playmaking, Janoris and Tru aren't consistent. They can make plays with the best of them but can you rely on them on every snap? In my opinion, no you can't, and you need to be able to rely on your cornerbacks because one bad play by a CB changes the entire game. EJ is consistently a very good corner. We don't need any of that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde stuff. Under my criteria, he's our best corner.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'd rather not risk him getting a long term injury. As for the draft position, I'm not concerned where we draft because Snead does an excellent job finding talent in all three phases.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hope EJ is OK, But my ONLY concern right now is Beating the Shit out of the Sea-Chickens!! IT WILL MAKE MY SEASON!!

Athos

Legend
Sit him.

Gaines is a beast. I don't want him injured further or risk getting another concussion at the end of a meaningless season.

Rest him.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gaines is doubtful for game at Seattle
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_29d10f0b-7d29-5519-9972-9bc39243ad00.html

E.J. Gaines’ streak appears to be in jeopardy.

Gaines, who has started the opening 15 games of the season for the Rams, sat out practice again on Friday as he recovers from a concussion suffered in the loss to the New York Giants. Gaines, who was hurt in a collision with teammate T.J. McDonald, didn’t practice this week and was listed as doubtful on Friday’s injury report. In NFL terms, “doubtful” means at least a 75 percent chance that he will not play.

The former University of Missouri standout was drafted in the sixth round in May and has been one of the steals of the draft. He currently is fourth on the team with 105 tackles. He leads the Rams with 14 pass defenses and also has two interceptions and a fumble recovery.

With Gaines’ availability in doubt, it appears fellow rookies Lamarcus Joyner and Marcus Roberson are in line for some additional playing time Sunday when the Rams (6-9) take on the defending Super Bowl champion Seahawks (11-4) in Seattle. Game time is 3:25 p.m. (St. Louis time).

“I think they need to play,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said when asked about his confidence level in the rookie defensive backs. “That’s what happens when somebody goes down, unfortunately. Someone else gets the reps.”

Roberson, an undrafted free agent out of the University of Florida, played mainly on special teams early before earning starts at right corner against Kansas City and San Francisco. He hurt his ankle in the 49ers game Nov. 2 and has been inactive since.

“Every day, I work to try and make sure I’m ready,’’ said Roberson, 22. “Getting a chance to (start), it helped a lot. But I understand everything. I feel I’ve been blessed with the opportunity this season and I’m just trying to make sure I’m ready when I get that next chance.”

The Rams were high on Roberson through the draft process and love his potential.

“It’s one of those deals where you had him up, had a good grade on him,’’ Fisher said. “Obviously, he accepted our college free agent invitation and has done very well for himself. He’s got starter ability and he’s proven that by playing.’’

Joyner, a second-round draft pick out of Florida State in May, was seeing regular action on special teams and at nickel back to open the season and had 43 tackles through eight games. But then, while attempting to sack Arizona quarterback Carson Palmer on Nov. 9, Joyner suffered a groin injury. He spent three weeks on the injury report and was inactive two more games before returning to action last week against the Giants. He took 16 defensive snaps and contributing one solo tackle with a big hit.

“It was tough. It’s the NFL. Guys were going 100 percent and I felt like I was going 70,’’ he said. “But my teammates and my coaches stuck with me and I’ve had a pretty good week of practice. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to finish strong on Sunday.’’

Joyner said he’s been frustrated at times this season. But it’s all part of being an NFL rookie.

“As a young guy with a lot to learn, I’ve have no right to huff and pout,’’ he said. “I need to learn some lessons in the National Football League. I don’t have nothing that I’ve earned here yet, so I’m looking at it as a great experience.’’

INJURY REPORT

Joining Gaines on the Friday injury report was defensive end Chris Long, who received a veteran’s day off and is listed as probable. Also probable for Sunday are cornerback Janoris Jenkins and center Scott Wells, who were both limited earlier in the week with back issues.

Seattle has ruled out No. 2 receiver Jermaine Kearse (hamstring) and reserve defensive end Demarcus Dobbs (ankle). Neither practiced this week. Kearse, who was hurt early in last week’s win in Arizona, has 38 catches for 537 yards and a touchdown this season.

Listed questionable for the Seahawks are starting center Max Unger (knee/ankle), backup tight end Cooper Helfet (ribs), reserve receiver Chris Matthews (hamstring) and backup cornerback Tharold Simon (shoulder). Unger, who has missed the last five games, was a full practice participant on Friday. The others were limited.

Standout running back Marshawn Lynch (back) practiced on Friday and is probable. The same is true of tackle Russell Okung (chest) and reserve tight end Tony Moeaki (shoulder).

RAMS-GIANTS FINES REVISITED

On Monday, Fisher said he’d be surprised if any Rams were fined for their actions in last weekend’s brawl near the Giants’ bench.

Surprise.

Defensive end William Hayes, who was ejected from the action, was fined $10,000 for throwing a punch in the melee. Second-year linebacker Alec Ogletree, who started the commotion with his takedown of Odell Beckham Jr. well out of bounds, picked up a fine of $8,268. Earlier in the week, Ogletree told reporters that he had not been fined.

In addition, the Rams’ Eugene Sims was levied a $16,537 fine for a roughing-the-passer hit on Eli Manning.

That’s a total of $34,805 for the Rams. The fines against the Giants — to DE Cullen Jenkins ($16,537), DE Damontre Moore ($15,000), WR Preston Parker ($15,000), WR Beckham ($10,000), K Josh Brown ($8,268) and long snapper Zak DeOssie ($8,268) — came to $73,073.

Moore, Parker and Beckam were involved in the fight, with Moore and Parker getting ejected along with the Rams’ Hayes. Jenkins was fined for roughing the passer, DeOssie for a late hit on a Rams punt return and Brown, the ex-Ram, for a mule kick to the chin of the Rams’ Cody Davis after the veteran kicker was shoved onto the pile by another Rams’ player.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only one who doesn't get toasted on a weekly basis. I prefer consistency over playmaking, Janoris and Tru aren't consistent. They can make plays with the best of them but can you rely on them on every snap? In my opinion, no you can't, and you need to be able to rely on your cornerbacks because one bad play by a CB changes the entire game. EJ is consistently a very good corner. We don't need any of that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde stuff. Under my criteria, he's our best corner.
At the same time he is not consistently guarding the teams best wideouts either. As I recall jenkins only got burned once for a touchdown it was bad but it was only once. I have seen jenkins completely shut down Larry fitz and Michael Floyd in the redzone. When was the last time jenkins gave up a touchdown. Beckham did his damage away from Jenkins. For the first 4 or 5 games Jenkins was playing lights out then came the slip but he has stepped it back up over the last 6 weeks or more. He is a complete game changer and we have evidence of that already.

Ace right

UDFA
A shame, Gaines has been our most consistent CB. We need to see more of what Joyner can do inside. I hope he gets more than nickel play maybe some at FS. We also need to see if Tru just had a bad game. Wonder if he is playing hurt? I think JJ will have a good game. No Golden Taint in his head.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Sit him down. Give him 7 months to shake off the concussion.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
I don't care about draft position. That will take care of itself. I'm interested in seeing what Marcus and Lamarkus can do. We'll be fine on defense, but the offense must find a way to put points on the board.

GO RAMS!!!!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
"E.J. Gaines doubtful for Sunday/Wagoner"

We are screwed! Look for Wilson to have his best game as a pro.

lockdnram21

Legend
He doesn't even go up against the top receivers. He's a good #2 cb but that's about it