E.J. Gaines could add clarity to Rams’ CB competition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
E.J. Gaines could add clarity to Rams’ cornerback competition

By Jack Wang, Los Angeles Daily News

[www.dailynews.com]

IRVINE >> The competition opened more than five months ago, when the Rams allowed Janoris Jenkins to walk away as a free agent. The team is still searching for his replacement.

The Rams certainly have options to start at cornerback opposite Trumaine Johnson, whom they retained with a franchise tag this offseason. They’re just figuring out whether the nod goes to E.J. Gaines, Coty Sensabaugh, or Lamarcus Joyner.

“It’s like playing a video game, and you have three cornerbacks and they’re all 99s,” Joyner said. “Who do you play?”

For the record, Joyner’s official Madden 17 rating is 75. Gaines is slightly ahead at 79, while Sensabaugh — who signed just days after Jenkins’ departure — sits at 71. (Defensive tackle Aaron Donald is the only Ram in the 90s, with an overall rating of 98.) But we can forgive Joyner for his enthusiasm.

Besides the Keenum-Goff competition at quarterback, the defensive backfield may be the team’s most scrutinized position group. The defensive line, anchored by Donald, is arguably the finest in the NFL. The linebackers are a talented group, though Alec Ogletree’s transition to the middle will be key.

The secondary? Pro Football Focus ranked it 27th in the league, citing not only the loss of Jenkins but of safety Rodney McLeod. PFF is kinder to the corners — ranking them 13th — but in two preseason games, the Rams have allowed opposing quarterbacks to complete 50 of 71 passes for 566 yards and three touchdowns.

Head coach Jeff Fisher said Sunday that the cornerback race remains “up in the air.” In a 21-20 win over Kansas City a day earlier, Sensabaugh shouldered the heaviest workload with 44 defensive snaps. Joyner played 30 snaps before being ejected for fighting Chiefs receiver Jeremy Maclin. Gaines, who entered the game in the second quarter, chipped in 22.

It’s Gaines’ performance that may be most encouraging. Before a Lisfranc injury (foot) robbed him of the entire 2015 season, the former sixth-round pick led the team with 15 passes defensed. Returning to game action for the first time on Saturday, he notched three solo tackles.

“Just kind of reminiscent of the E.J. that we had a couple of years ago,” Fisher said, adding that he plans to increase Gaines’ reps.

For Gaines, the year off has felt more like five — an absence that has him eager to make up for lost time. Although a pulled hamstring and a sprained ankle have slowed him in training camp, he’s fully confident again in his health.

“They’ve been taking care of me in camp and making sure I’m getting explosion and strength in my foot and everything,” he said. “It’s just, you can’t really simulate a live game. Getting out here (on Saturday) was good for me.”

INJURY REPORT

Receiver Bradley Marquez is not expected to miss more than one preseason game after suffering a right ankle injury on Saturday.

“When we left the Coliseum, there was some concern,” Fisher said Sunday. “Today was a good day. It’s good to get good news from the medical staff. Hopefully, he’ll have a chance to come back this week.”

Marquez appeared in all 16 games as a rookie last year, recording 13 catches for 88 yards in addition to his contributions on special teams.

Undrafted rookie Nelson Spruce, who made a team-high six catches in a preseason-opening win against the Cowboys, remains sidelined with a sprained left knee and is unlikely to practice this week.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's be honest here....I was never a fan of the Rams trading up in the 2nd round for Joyner, IMO, he was not big enough for safety and could only play CB when he was in the slot, not I guy I feel you trade up for and we trusted the Rams defensive staff with the signing of CB Coty Sensabaugh although ever Titan fan was glad to see him go, well, to this point advantage Titan fans.

I have not seen Sensabaugh make one play breaking up a play, not one! I posted on another thread, he always seems to come up a day late and a dollar short in coverage. Sensabaugh is always chasing the play and then tackles the guy after the first down. Joyner can't be counted on outside the slot, he's a one trick pony in coverage, now moving him to FS is an option, but the Rams have not done that for some odd reason.

Overall if E.J. Gaines has his injury issues behind him, IMO, the Ram defense will be okay at CB with Joyner in the slot and Sensabaugh on the bench and I realize that preseason can skew some things and some players play much better during the season, but so far I do like Troy HIll much better than Sensabaugh, who really has showcased he has no sense at all!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
so far I do like Troy HIll much better than Sensabaugh, who really has showcased he has no sense at all!
Same here. I would like to see Hill with the ones this week. Sensabaugh does not inspire much confidence IMO. Fisher has gone to the Tennessee well a lot with mostly crappy results other than Hayes (Finnegan, Cook, etc).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm not as concerned as others with the CB position. Even with Sensabaugh & Joyner struggling in pre season, Roberson isn't being talked about and he played fairly well last year when thrust in there. Health permitting, Gaines will start opposite TruJ and enough depth will be there with these other guys. Once the pass rush gets the green light in week one..these depth guys won't look so vulnerable IMO.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Same here. I would like to see Hill with the ones this week. Sensabaugh does not inspire much confidence IMO. Fisher has gone to the Tennessee well a lot with mostly crappy results other than Hayes (Finnegan, Cook, etc).

I feel it's 50/50 with the Tennessee connection, Britt & Hayes have been good and Finnegan was good his first year, but Cook and now Sensabaugh not so good. Maybe the Sensabaugh was a panic move losing Jenkins and with Gaines coming back from injury, so let's hope they truly give Troy Hill a shot with the ones this week.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
[QUOTE="Mojo Ram, post: 777977, member: 588"Once the pass rush gets the green light in week one..these depth guys won't look so vulnerable IMO.[/QUOTE]

I hope so because during preseason thus far the only thing that Joyner & Sensabaugh have proven is that they cannot even cover a bed.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm like most...We should be giving Hill & Roberson more work. EJ sure looked good in limited action...Seemed even quicker if you ask me. That was an outstanding pass break up in the endzone last game...He left HIS man, and made a play on Sensabaugh's....incredible....
in two preseason games, the Rams have allowed opposing quarterbacks to complete 50 of 71 passes for 566 yards and three touchdowns.
Yards and points....we were lucky to allow only 2 td's......lucky....all those yards usually equal points....Why waste a whole preseason letting opponents drive up and down the field? Why not try to take the short stuff away? Makes no sense...sorta like signing Coty Sensabaugh.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I hope so because during preseason thus far the only thing that Joyner & Sensabaugh have proven is that they cannot even cover a bed.
Very true. I've watched both pre season gm's twice now and the Rams just aren't going after the QB hardly at all. I can count the number of blitzes on one hand in both games(with the 1's in there) and how many exotic GW blitzes have we seen?

View: http://i.imgur.com/nUxz4aG.mp4

I'm just not that concerned with the defense at all at the halfway point of pre season. I trust these coaches to get it done. They've proven it in the past. The D has been good since Fisher got here and very good when GW arrived.

To be honest, everyone is gushing over the improved offense right now. Higbee being a monster, the QB's making some plays, the receivers catching balls, the OLine coming together etc. I need to see THAT to believe it once it gets real in a few weeks because i DON'T trust these coaches yet where the offense is concerned. Sorry i'm tired and rambling. It's my bedtime. :later:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That was an outstanding pass break up in the endzone last game...He left HIS man, and made a play on Sensabaugh's....incredible....
Yeah man. He did that a couple times in his rookie season as well. Dude has a great nose for the ball.

Did you see this from back in May? Great read.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5/25/11760450/los-angeles-rams-ej-gaines-scouting-report

The Return Of E.J. Gaines
By QBKlass and misone on May 25, 2016, 10:39a 56

usa-today-8283777.0.jpg

Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

Turf Show Times authors QBKlass and Misone Adiasor discuss what the Rams are getting upon the return of CB E.J. Gaines.

 TWEET SHARE PIN
Los Angeles Rams CB E.J. Gaines missed the 2015 season with a Lisfranc injury. His presence was sorely missed despite the Rams having plenty of other talented defensive backs. The return of Gaines will provide another consistent cornerback opposite of Trumaine Johnson.

Gaines1.0.gif

Derrik: Gaines is a great zone defender, and he puts that on display here. He holds his presence down low, then flies over to the middle of the field to break up that pass and nearly comes away with an interception. He accelerates very well, and has that ability to play off in coverage and close in on catch points that appear open to quarterbacks.

Misone: I love this shot because of his change of direction skills being on full display. More often than not, his eyes and feet are in sync with each other, which is vital to success in the NFL regardless of position. He breaks on the ball very quickly and times his pass break ups as well as anyone.

Derrik: Gaines' feet and eyes being in sync is a great point. He is so fluid in the way he moves and flows to different areas of the field. His skill there in 2014 was very impressive for any cornerback, let alone a sixth-round rookie.

Misone: My thoughts exactly. His ability to break on the ball isn't a result of exceptional physical skills. He's only an average athlete. It's instead a result of his unbelievable footwork and reaction skills. It's almost like he senses things. I think I'll call him Spiderman from now on.

Derrik: That's perfect! He really does have ability there that can't be quantified; it's just something you see and know is there with him. And it doesn't come in waves like it did with, say, Janoris Jenkins. Gaines is on his game all the time. He's an intense, aware player. Speaking of which...

Gaines3.0.gif

Derrik: Corners don't normally play the run like Gaines can. A lot of the time, playing the run as a cornerback is just about being willing and being aware. Gaines shows both of those traits here.

Misone: Ah, yes. This is easily one of my favorite parts of his game. It was also one of my favorite parts of his game when he was at Missouri and one of the reasons I listed him as being the steal of the draft in my draft grades. He's both a willing and capable tackler. Regardless of the ball carrier -- whether it's a quarterback, running back or receiver -- he attacks the same way every time. He's an awesome open field tackler, but he's equally as dangerous in the box. The way he closes the hole quickly on Marshawn Lynch here and gobbles him up before he can get his feet going is ideal. Every defensive coordinator asks their corners to do this, but only a few are willing to go in there with the big uglies and even fewer can come out victorious. This is a 'want to' trait.

Derrik: It makes life much easier for the linebackers, too. I think we too often miss how one player affects what is around him. Gaines being willing to clamp down on the edge like he does gives the linebackers a bit more freedom to gamble, which is huge for playmakers like Mark Barron and Alec Ogletree.

Misone: It also gives the edge rushers more freedom to pin their ears back, knowing that they have someone ready and willing to clean things up.

Derrik: Absolutely. Run defending at a passing-based position seems trivial, but it opens up so much for the defense as a whole.

Gaines5.0.gif

Derrik: Back to Gaines' ability in coverage, though. He wipes out three different receivers on this play, at least to some extent. He carries the first man up the field, works his way back to cover the route in the flats, then flies to the corner of the end zone to swat away a touchdown pass. It's kind of amazing how much ground he can cover on his own sometimes.

Misone: This clip is a perfect example as to why he is a good player. He again demonstrates great change of direction skills. His eyes and feet are in sync again and he almost senses where the quarterback wants to go with the ball on each read. For that reason, he is able to get to the receiver quickly and effortlessly. He does a great job of timing his jump when he realizes when the ball is going to be there. He gets to the back of the end zone and makes a heck of a play. This is really some of his best work. This is fundamentals at its best. He stays in his zone, never over committing to one receiver. His eyes are locked onto the quarterback's eyes. Wherever the quarterback's eyes go, Gaines' feet follow. That is exceptional discipline.

Derrik: And he almost tipped it back to a teammate for an interception. Richard Sherman has talked about doing that. If he knows he can't grab the ball himself, Sherman tries to give one of his teammates a shot at the ball and Gaines did that here. Awareness like that is rare for someone at this stage in their career.

Misone: Agreed. He is alert enough to not lock onto just one of the receiver, the quarterback or the ball. He's aware of everything, even of the field. Because he i so aware of his positioning on the field he identifies that the best thing to do is to deflect the ball and, in the process, try to deflect it to a teammate. The best part is that eh was in Cover 2 and made the play that the safety would have to make. But looking at the tape, had he not made the play, the safety would not have been there in time to stop the touchdown.

Derrik: It was such a great heads up play, just like this next example.

Gaines6.0.gif

Derrik: Before saying anything about Gaines' effort here, it has to be noted that the situation is third-and-short. Gaines understands where the offense is likely going to go with the ball because of that. He keys in on the receiver running the slant, bolts toward him and crushes him before he can pick up a first down. That is a great heads up, veteran type play.

Misone: I touched on it earlier, but his open field tackling deserves more praise. So often we saw him make a great tackle in the open field, and at times on some of the most dangerous open field players the NFL has to offer. Here, Gaines never entered his backpedal. His momentum was always either parallel or downhill. He understood the down and distance, and he stood within a yard of the first down marker. This left the underneath receiver one option; beat a player who has demonstrated some of the best open field tackling all year (2014) long. This was both a display of awareness and discipline. Those two words appear to be a common theme when discussing Gaines.

Derrik: Absolutely. And what's funny is that this goes down as a reception in the box score, but Gaines still made an outstanding play. Like you said, awareness and discipline is seen throughout his film in every facet of the game.

Gaines7.0.gif

Derrik: His savvy on this last play is so subtle, yet so effective. Just as Larry Fitzgeraldbegins to turn up the field and accelerate, Gaines runs into him and gives him a little nudge. It doesn't look like much at first glance, but Gaines being able to slow Fitzgerald down while maintaining hos own speed closed the window that the quarterback was trying to hit. Had Fitzgerald been able to run cleanly through those one or two steps, he very well may have been in position to contest that catch.

Misone: This one goes back to field awareness. He identifies very early in the play where the route is going and where they're at on the field. Here, Fitzgerald runs a wheel route to the far side of the field. Considering the ball is in the red zone, Spiderman recognizes it will be a quick pass. Gaines cuts off the receiver immediately and stacks him, allowing him to run the route for the receiver. If you're running the route for the receiver, you dictate where the route is going. And Gaines used the boundary as an extra defender and forces Fitzgerald to the sideline. As the old saying goes, "The sideline is a defender's best friend." As odd as it sounds, Fitzgerald never stood a chance against the rookie on this play.

Derrik: It certainly does sound weird given Fitzgerald's Hall of Fame status, but it's true. Gaines made a stellar play that could have only been beaten by a flawless throw. I think what we have yet to mention is that he can play both the outside corner spot and work in the slot. He can do it all. Having him back in the lineup next year is going to bring more consistency to the pass defense than was seen in 2015.

Misone: Gaines only allowed one touchdown as a rookie. It came week one against theVikings. This was not because he was not tried, but because he played with such great discipline, awareness and instincts. Gaines is a fundamentally sound corner who excels at using his eyes to make plays. While his instincts are exceptional and has earned him his new Spiderman nickname, his consistency with his change of direction and fundamentals is what has and will set him apart. He was truly the steal, or at least one of them, of the 2014 draft.

Derrik: And that is especially so since he was able to start right out of the gate, whereas plenty of late round steals take a bit of seasoning before blooming. Gaines was ready day one and it's fair to assume he'll be just as ready to get back on the field for 2016.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I need to see THAT to believe it once it gets real in a few weeks because i DON'T trust these coaches yet where the offense is concerned. Sorry i'm tired and rambling. It's my bedtime. :later:

Pleasant dreams and you're right on point about the defense and the offense does has to prove it in the regular season, but as I posted in other threads, I feel much better about the offensive coaching staff this year over others, Rob Boras, Mike Groh, Skip Peete and John Lily all seem like excellent additions, however, I do understand this week will be a major challenge with most of the one's on the Bronco defense playing and come the regular season the unit has to produce.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think Gaines is actually the best CB on the team. He just needs to get healthy and stay that way. As the article noted Gaines has great instincts for the position. That is something that cannot be taught. In a way he reminds a little of Aeneas Williams with regards to instincts and competitiveness.

Psycho_X

Legend
That was an outstanding pass break up in the endzone last game...He left HIS man, and made a play on Sensabaugh's....incredible....

That is the play that stuck out the most to me out of that whole game. Gaines just has "it" when it comes to reaction and instincts and was so happy to see him on the field.

Like everyone has said in this thread already if Gaines and Tru can stay healthy I'm fine with our CBs. If either of them goes down it's going to be scary on the outside. Joyner is about as good of a slot corner you can ask for but he just can't be an outside guy unfortunately. Tall WRs and QBs worth their salt will abuse him all game long if we have to rely on that. And Sensabaugh is simply not that good. I am very high on Troy Hill after this last game though. I just like the way he carries himself and plays. I'll be paying attention to him a lot in this next game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Did you see this from back in May? Great read.
Of course....I found Coach0/St.Lou PD from TST.....which led me here....Misone is a great football mind like most of the writers there..you should see his big board, scouting articles...A lot of St Louis guys were screaming to draft EJ....you know me, after that 4.5 forty...I was like Meh.....LOL. Now I wish we'd have taken that guy outta that small school...the corner, Desir?

Gaines has great instincts for the position. That is something that cannot be taught.
This....Makes me nervous about Joyner & Sensabaugh...they may NEVER get IT....Might as well keep Mike Jordan....as well as Hill...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would agree with this title 100% EJ Gaines would clarify the only concern with our starters in the secondary. If EJ can come close to what he was before his surgery last season then we will be fine (pending any further setback health wise). EJ will be our other starting corner when the season begins. Once that is sealed then the whatever concern being heaped on the secondary is in the back up reserves. I do agree with the posters when they claim EJ is the best well rounded corner we have on this team including our $14 million this Ram teams highest paid player Trumaine Johnson.

Marcus Roberson fills the 3rd reserve outside corner spot very well. He is a poor practice player but does most things well enough with his best skill set being able to cover one on one actual game day play. He is also cool under pressure. Roberson will be a RFA after this season & I believe he desires greatly to be a starter & get paid like a starter. So we will see how all that plays out. I think Roberson is a far better outside corner than Coty

The Two CB Concerns: The Ram Org. paid dearly for Coty Senabaugh. Coty signed a 3 year, $15 mil contract, including $6.5 mil guaranteed:confused:, & an average annual salary of $5 mil in 2016. EJ will earn a dinky little over 600 K. Thus far in TC & half of pre season the Rams Org. would appear to have made a real bad mistake. Rams can not release Coty due to the near 6 mil in dead $$. Coty looks like WWC material at best. Coty may just be nothing more than a decent Nickel-Back but that's a bundle of cap cash poor invested IMO. Lets just hope this is where Gregg originally intended the role for Coty in his secondary the next few season. Coty much like Lamarcus Joyner has shown in 2 pre season games neither should play outside corner posts in the NFL for any length of time.

I just do not know what to say about Lamarcus Joyner 2016 pre season play...:palm::sadwalk:. I have been in his corner from the beginning & believe in Sir Shortness. Plain truth I am highly disappointed. From what I have seen from him in these two pre season games is pure dismal play @ the outside corner posts. Joyner has played himself into a big hole & may have lost his starting post opposite Tru before shifting to the Nickle when that defense is called. If our reserve safeties (Bryant & Davis) continue to shame themselves then Joyner may have a chance to be the main game day reserve for both safety positions instead. One thing that could change Joyner's life greatly....a Rams pass rush!

Summary here those are our 5 top corners currently. I believe all five of the above will be on the 53 player roster. The 6th CB that I am desire greatly is Bay Boy Troy Hill....he must be retained & signed to the master roster.

P.S anyone like our reserve safety play :eek:thus far?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams certainly have options to start at cornerback opposite Trumaine Johnson, whom they retained with a franchise tag this offseason. They’re just figuring out whether the nod goes to E.J. Gaines, Coty Sensabaugh, or Lamarcus Joyner.
Even though it's only been 2 Pre-Season games and E.J. has only played in one of them, I would give it to Gaines!!
Sensabaugh doesn't look up to it! And Joyner needs to lesrn to control his Temper! " Controled Anger and Rage can be a Good thing!!"

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The starters should surely be Tru and EJ with Roberson, Joyner, and Hill in reserve. With how Sensabaugh is playing, I wouldn't put him in a meaningful game unless he is the only option and would trade him for a 2050 7th round pick.