E.J. Gaines...A Future Star?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Just saw this from yesterday on ESPN. I like Nick Wagoner's stuff for the most part, and I'm excited about this player. Between him, Joyner, and Maurice Alexander, I like the outlook for our up and coming secondary.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...out-to-prove-he-belongs?ex_cid=espnapi_public

ncf_g_ejgaines_ms_300x200.jpg

E.J. Gaines out to prove he belongs

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As Day 2 of the NFL draft turned into Day 3 and the St. Louis Rams set their plan for what direction they wanted to go, Missouri cornerback E.J. Gaines was a name sitting on their list of potential additions.
After drafting safety Maurice Alexander with their fourth-round pick, the Rams, having traded their fifth-round pick on Day 2, endured a long wait until they picked again in Round 6.

During that long intermission, coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead considered trade options to move up. Gaines was among the potential targets for a move up, but ultimately the Rams stood pat. To their surprise, Gaines continued to fall.

Defensive back E.J. Gaines, 31, hopes his versatility helps his bid to win a roster spot with the Rams.
"We had made an attempt early, had considered him earlier," Fisher said. "We felt like he fell to us."

The Rams were happy to stop that fall, using the 188th overall pick on Gaines. While the Rams were pleased to get what they consider a steal in the sixth round, Gaines was doing everything possible to take his mind off what he termed a "surprising" fall.

In his three years as a starter at Mizzou, Gaines was one of the cornerstone players on the defense. He earned first team All Big 12 Conference honors in 2011 and did the same in the Southeastern Conference last year. Included in that 2013 effort was a strong showing against Texas A&M receiver Mike Evansin a late-season matchup.

Gaines was instrumental in limiting Evans to four catches for 8 yards. It's a matchup Gaines was asked about regularly through the pre-draft process. Evans went seventh overall to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“They brought it up, actually all of them did," Gaines said. "To see him go in the first round and see me go in the sixth is a little crazy to me, but like I said, it’s a blessing. God has a plan for me and for Mike Evans, and I’m sure we’ll both be great in the NFL.”

Gaines' chance to be great will be determined mostly based on his opportunity in St. Louis. While he would have preferred to go earlier in the draft, he at least steps into a potentially prosperous situation in St. Louis.

The Rams are likely set with their top three cornerbacks in Janoris Jenkins,Trumaine Johnson and Lamarcus Joyner, but there is plenty of room to make a mark and earn a spot on the depth chart behind that trio.

Brandon McGee is the only other cornerback from last season's active roster returning this season, and though he has potential, he's far from proven. Gaines brings the versatility to play any of the cornerback positions and said he could even contribute at safety. That ability to play all over the secondary could be his ticket, not only to a roster spot but even possible playing time as a rookie.

“I think there’s plenty of things I can bring to the Rams as far as going inside and playing the nickel, playing outside at corner, even moving back and playing some safety," Gaines said. "I’ll do whatever I have to, to get on the field. Like I said, if it’s special teams, inside, outside, safety, it doesn’t matter."

As Gaines adapts to his new surroundings, special teams will probably be his primary objective. Before drafting Gaines, the Rams had a green dot next to his name which indicates special teams coach John Fassel believes he can be a contributor there right away.

That should buy Gaines time as he adjusts to the NFL and figures out his best fit on the defense.

“He’s a good zone player, a good effort player, a solid tackler," Fisher said. "He shows man-to-man skills and he’s a good athlete. We had some spots available at the position, so we feel like he’s got a chance to come in and not only compete, but also do some things on special teams for us.”

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought he was good value in round 6, a steal even.

Pertaining to Gaines coverage of Evans, I think the way Mizzou played Manzeil really limited his game and that was a very big reason Evans was not as successful. Using the slow rush and keeping Manzeil out of his game affected the entire A&M offense. Keeping Manzeil behind the line to block his vision and limit his scrambling, forcing him to make his reads played to his weakness.

Gaines seems to be a guy who can do it all but not great in any one area. That is probably why he fell. Nothing particularly stands out about his game.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Nick Wagoner is awesome. He actually likes the Rams. That Sando character had a thinly disguised hate for us.

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure whether i'm excited by the youth of our secondary or really nervous...

Yeah, I mean it's probably gonna bite us in the ass a couple times, but at least we aren't relying on multiple rookies to start like we have in the past. We have starters in place, granted some of them aren't the greatest, so there's not a huge amount of pressure on the rookies. Maybe they start rotating in more or even starting after the bye in week 4.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I mean it's probably gonna bite us in the ass a couple times, but at least we aren't relying on multiple rookies to start like we have in the past. We have starters in place, granted some of them aren't the greatest, so there's not a huge amount of pressure on the rookies. Maybe they start rotating in more or even starting after the bye in week 4.

I'm hoping that a couple of the rookies are going to be hungry enough to be considered in week 1, I'd just feel a little more comfortable (maybe) if we had a true vet back there to keep an even keel with the young guns, I just worry about them committing themselves too early and getting blown away...

But, I'm a true believer if you're good enough, you're old enough - every NFL legend was a rookie once (y)

Bluesy

Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm hoping that a couple of the rookies are going to be hungry enough to be considered in week 1, I'd just feel a little more comfortable (maybe) if we had a true vet back there to keep an even keel with the young guns, I just worry about them committing themselves too early and getting blown away...

But, I'm a true believer if you're good enough, you're old enough - every NFL legend was a rookie once (y)

Very true, and asking as they're willing to learn I think they'll be fine. I also hoping Joyner and one of the other two I mentioned are able to make an immediate impact. Even if they don't though, I like what our depth is shaping up to be.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Jenkins and Johnson are now entering their third year and have had significant playing time their first 2 seasons...I feel confident that they can assume the role of veteran.

Plus, it isn't like the DBs are completely sealed off from the rest of the defense at all times...there will be plenty of leadership from other players on the team...pair that with the extensive amount of experience and success that is on the coaching staff on that side of the ball.

Athos

Legend
Gaines is a super smart footballer. Supersmart. With great FB instincts. I could see them seeing how he could do at FS in a few packages a game. At least try him there in game... He was used as a kick/punt returner early in his MU career. I think he has a chance to actually be among our best CBs.

He certainly has the most to prove and the desire to as well.

One of my fav all-time MU players after DX, Maclin, Josey, and Spoon.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Gaines is a steal, if he makes the team. McGee is a joke, I hope he is gone....I don't care about measurables when you can't turn your head---ever....seriously bad player....like old Steve Israel....fast as a bat out of a cave with no instincts

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Gaines is a super smart footballer. Supersmart. With great FB instincts. I could see them seeing how he could do at FS in a few packages a game. At least try him there in game... He was used as a kick/punt returner early in his MU career. I think he has a chance to actually be among our best CBs.

He certainly has the most to prove and the desire to as well.

One of my fav all-time MU players after DX, Maclin, Josey, and Spoon.

Absolutely right. He's one of those players that isn't the best athletically, but he can outsmart the opposition. You saw it happen against Mike Evans this year.

There's no way in hell he's a better football player than Mike Evans, but he shut him down in that game because he played smart.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Nick Wagoner is awesome. He actually likes the Rams. That Sando character had a thinly disguised hate for us.
I never saw that from Sando... Pete Prisco I used to refer to as "Pete Frisco" though...

And He Who Shall Not Be Named... he definitely hates the Rams. ;)

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Our pass rush and the addition of GW will help these young guys. As mentioned .... youth will bite us a bit, but we definitely are more talented across the board back there.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I never saw that from Sando... Pete Prisco I used to refer to as "Pete Frisco" though...

And He Who Shall Not Be Named... he definitely hates the Rams. ;)

Pete was before my days of reading obsessively about the Rams. So in comparison with Pete, Sando looks benign to you. Subtract Pete from your consciousness and he may look less so.

The guy that shall not be named is just a joke.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Very true, and asking as they're willing to learn I think they'll be fine. I also hoping Joyner and one of the other two I mentioned are able to make an immediate impact. Even if they don't though, I like what our depth is shaping up to be.

Got to agree - it's all very exciting, especially when you add in coach Williams to the mix too ;)