Dynamic defensive duos

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
No Rams mention. No Long or Quinn? Really? :wtf:
----------------------------------------
Dynamic defensive duos: Can anyone match Broncos' Ware-Miller punch?

Vinnie Iyer @vinnieiyer

Blame it on Seattle

It's hard for any team to field a defensive duo as dominant as the one that just helped the Seattle Seahawks win the Super Bowl. That didn't stop many teams from trying this offseason.

Seahawks safeties Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor reign as a 1-2 punch for now, but they have a lot more competition.

Several contenders were aggressive in going after big-name veterans to complement young studs. A couple made wholesale changes to form their fresh, exciting pairings. One team, meanwhile, drafted a bookend to the best defensive player in the NFL.

Looking at this impressive six-pack, however, a new duo in Denver still easily rises above the rest.

1. DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller, Denver Broncos

Don't be fooled that for different reasons, neither premier pass rush hit double-digit sacks last season. Ware was settling into 4-3 end for the first time his illustrious career with the Cowboys and didn't get much help from his teammates. Miller's off-field issues limited him to nine games at outside linebacker.

This season, we'll see the best of both while they work together to give Denver the AFC's best front seven. Miller will help rejuvenate Ware, while Ware's mentoring will help Miller produce at a high level all-around.

The effects will be good enough to trickle down to improve the Broncos' other starting end and outside linebacker, Derek Wolfe and Danny Trevathan.

2. Brandon Browner and Darrelle Revis, New England Patriots

It didn't take long for Bill Belichick to find an upgrade after Aqib Talib left for the Broncos.

Revis, fresh off his fully healthy stint with the Buccaneers, remains better at shutting down receivers than anyone in the league.

Browner will try to redeem himself after a troubling end to his stay in the Seahawks' secondary. Opposite Revis, where he can just use his big body to press possession-type receivers.

3. Jairus Byrd and Kenny Vaccaro, New Orleans Saints

Thomas and Chancellor have the attributes every team wants in its safeties — a freelancing big playmaker to go with an extra linebacker-like thumper.

The Saints, after seeing Vaccaro's potential as the latter type last season, surprised many in getting the former. They didn't have much free-agent money to spend, but got creative and targeted Byrd. With the Bills he flew all over the field, and he'll do the same for Rob Ryan once he recovers from offseason back surgery.

4. Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers, Green Bay Packers

Matthews is among the league's most relentless players, capable of wreaking havoc even when he's not quite finishing off quarterbacks.

Peppers, signed from the rival Bears, tends to save his older body's energy for big-game situations. Those styles mesh well as Green Bay now has the luxury of Peppers being the complementary guy, and his move from 4-3 end will give him more room to work off the edge.

Youngster Nick Perry will help keep them both fresh to get after the passer and will benefit well knowing he'll play off either Matthews or Peppers.

5. J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney, Houston Texans

This is a very similar 3-4 combination to Mathews and Peppers in terms of style, with two significant differences.

One, Watt and Clowney are base ends. Two, there are far fewer miles combined on two younger guys.

The Texans already know they get limitless energy from Watt in every aspect the game. They have every right, highest draft status included, to expect Clowney not just to absorb that, but re-create some of it with his own special brand of athleticism.

6. Lamarr Houston and Jared Allen, Chicago Bears

Houston was an excellent run-stopper and sound all-around while with the Raiders, but the Bears would not have been willing to break the bank on him if he didn't have the potential to blossom as a pass rusher.

Allen is a change from Peppers with his Matthews and Watt-like intensity, although he has a little less in the tank overall.

Either way, for a radical front changeup that included letting Peppers go and moving Shea McClellin to linebacker, a Houston-Allen duo is a nice way to rebound.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wow.

zntf0KT.jpg

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'm guessing the no Long or Quinn is because of this bit "Several contenders were aggressive in going after big-name veterans to complement young studs. A couple made wholesale changes to form their fresh, exciting pairings. One team, meanwhile, drafted a bookend to the best defensive player in the NFL."

Both Long and Quinn were here last year.

SierraRam

Recreational User
upload_2014-6-1_20-35-13.jpeg
Author: Vinnie Iyer. I'm going to remember this a send Vinnie some post-season stats to chew on with his Crow.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The NFL is over due for an @ss woopin' Jeff Fisher style. This is pathetic.

Shoot, Donald and Brockers is more interesting than Houston and Jared Allen.

And I'm not even gonna state who the #1 is.

Seahawks are going down so hard this year.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor beat out Jairus Byrd and Kenny Vaccaro the same way Robert Quinn and Chris Long beat out DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller or Lamarr Houston and Jared Allen. I guess he didn't include the Seattle pair because he is comparing each duo to them but what's the excuse for neglecting the Rams?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor beat out Jairus Byrd and Kenny Vaccaro the same way Robert Quinn and Chris Long beat out DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller or Lamarr Houston and Jared Allen. I guess he didn't include the Seattle pair because he is comparing each duo to them but what's the excuse for neglecting the Rams?
As mentioned earlier, apparently he's only counting NEW duos (which is a dumb way to do it, granted, but...)

Quinn and Long aren't new.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Clowney hasn't even been on an NFL field yet.
What a joke.

This guy probably also voted R Wilson the greatest qb of our generation.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I don't know the exact count without looking but didn't Quinn and Long account for about 27-28 sacks? Seems like a pretty good duo to me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Must be new duo. Otherwise; makes no sense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
the seachicken pair isn't new.

I think they were his example, prepping the reader for his list of 6.

Obviously a poorly laid out article as evident by us trying to interpret the douchebag.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think they were his example, prepping the reader for his list of 6.

Obviously a poorly laid out article as evident by us trying to interpret the douchebag.

I think it's fair to say if a lot of people read your article, and there is confusion regarding your point then one of two things has to be true.

Your readership is not bright.

Or.....

You're a pretty shitty writer.

I wonder what side of this I fall on HAHAHA.....