Dunbar suspended for four games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BobCarl

Rookie
brokeu91 said:
Does anyone know why he has been suspended.

you know the script ... 'it wasn't intentional, I thought I was drinking gator-aid, and accidentally sipped the bodybuilding mixture from somebody at the gym" .... and then He will go on to say "I considered appealing this, but I am responsible for what goes in my body, and I'll be more careful to not let this type of mistake happen again"

whatever ... we all know a person doesn't get a 4 game suspension on when he fails his first test.

I really liked his intensity, I hope he comes back being the same person on the field as he was in the 1st preseason game.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Luckily we have a good spot starter in Spoon but this is really disappointing. 4 games? Must be something bad such as use of PEDs and if so than I am very disappointed in Jo Lonn and have lost some respect. He is an impact player on this defense in run defense and blitzing and to be selfish to put his team at risk smh. *sigh*

This sucks.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Dunbar doesn't get a lot of notoriety, but dude is a solid player. This sucks big time.

Time for someone to step up!

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Dunbar may be another of the Rams who block me on twitter. I let him know of my disappointment and IMO in a more respectable manner than he deserves.

Im sorry but I will NOT be an a$$ kisser to these athletes, especially when they are in the wrong and hurt the team that I invest MY time & MY money in

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
biggame1190 said:
Dunbar may be another of the Rams who block me on twitter. I let him know of my disappointment and IMO in a more respectable manner than he deserves.

Im sorry but I will NOT be an a$$ kisser to these athletes, especially when they are in the wrong and hurt the team that I invest MY time & MY money in

Did he block you?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
What's wrong with these guys? They know they will be tested. Friggin idiots. If teams would start cutting them, maybe that would be a big enough deterrent? But of course, the Raiders, Seahawks, Cowboys, Patriots out there would sign all of them.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
IF there is a silver lining in this, it would be that his role was and will be reduced this year, in that he will not be on the field as much as last year.

With Ogletree assuming the coverage responsibilities in the Nickel Packages, Dunbar, and now, assumedly Witherspoon, will only be out there in the Base 4-3.

Where this is bound to show up, is the trickle down effect on Special Teams. Dunbar is a core player on ST, and with Witherspoon now assuming the starters role, the overall depth will be greatly impacted.

This should bode well for the likes a Daren Bates or Jonathan Stewart. As well as making Jabara Williams' return from his leg injury a little more pressing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CoachO said:
IF there is a silver lining in this, it would be that his role was and will be reduced this year, in that he will not be on the field as much as last year.

With Ogletree assuming the coverage responsibilities in the Nickel Packages, Dunbar, and now, assumedly Witherspoon, will only be out there in the Base 4-3.

Where this is bound to show up, is the trickle down effect on Special Teams. Dunbar is a core player on ST, and with Witherspoon now assuming the starters role, the overall depth will be greatly impacted.

This should bode well for the likes a Daren Bates or Jonathan Stewart. As well as making Jabara Williams' return from his leg injury a little more pressing.

Good point.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner:

The Rams signed Witherspoon on July 22, just three days before the veterans were to report for training camp. That he was brought in more than three weeks ago was not a coincidence given the nature of how suspension information flows in the NFL.

More often than not, teams are informed of suspensions long before they become public. Further, players often go through an appeals process should they opt to go that route before a suspension is announced.

This case was no different, as the Rams knew Dunbar’s suspension was coming before signing Witherspoon.

The Rams needed some veteran depth at linebacker anyway and they opted to add someone who is familiar with the defense and the franchise in Witherspoon.

more...
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/106571/if-called-upon-witherspoon-ready-to-start?src=mobile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... src=mobile</a>

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well that sucks. At least it's not like Von Miller deal going on.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
BobCarl said:
brokeu91 said:
Does anyone know why he has been suspended.

you know the script ... 'it wasn't intentional, I thought I was drinking gator-aid, and accidentally sipped the bodybuilding mixture from somebody at the gym" .... and then He will go on to say "I considered appealing this, but I am responsible for what goes in my body, and I'll be more careful to not let this type of mistake happen again"

You nailed it.

St. Louis Rams' Jo-Lonn Dunbar suspended four games

St. Louis Rams' Jo-Lonn Dunbar suspended four games
The St. Louis Rams will begin a new season without one of their starting linebackers.

Jo-Lonn Dunbar has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2013 season for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances, the league announced Wednesday.

Dunbar will be eligible to return to the Rams' active roster the day after their Week 4 matchup against the San Francisco 49ers. He is eligible to participate in all training-camp practices and preseason games.

NFL Network's Michelle Beisner talked to a Rams source who said Dunbar's failed test was not a result of PED use.

"I just want to say that I did not take a performance-enhancing drug," Dunbar said, via The Associated Press. "I mistakenly took something that prompted a failed drug test."

"I sincerely apologize to my teammates (and) the organization," Dunbar added. "I am deeply saddened by this. But I plan to serve my four-game suspension and get back to playing football as soon as possible."

Dunbar's suspension helps explain the Rams' signing of 11-year veteran Will Witherspoon to a one-year contract last month. Witherspoon is likely to join first-round draft pick Alec Ogletree and veteran James Laurinaitis in the starting lineup until Dunbar can return.

Dunbar was the 15th-best 4-3 outside linebacker last season, according to ProFootballFocus.com. It will be up to Witherspoon to replace Dunbar's impact, specifically against the run.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Most of you know that I doubted the advisability of signing Spoon and I wondered why the Rams FO (who normally take my advice :lol: ) decided to go that route. Now I know why. Very disappointing and I sincerely hope I am totally wrong about what Spoon will bring to the table.

Bummer.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Incredibly disappointed in this news. There's not much else to say other than I hope others are clean.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Disappointed. One of my favorite new Rams in 2012, I love the tenacity he plays with. I will give him a shot after he returns, but I'm just disappointed in the decision he made. Luckily we added Will Witherspoon who in my opinion is an uprgrade from McIntosh & Haggan

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Username said:
iced said:
not too worried with spoon, he's better in coverage imo.

Dunbar has been a wrecking ball at linebacker. He looked fucking awesome in that first preseason game too. He brings attitude to the defense as well. Not a back breaker, but this is a blow.
+1
Damn.