Dunbar may have future with Rams says Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/dunbar-may-have-future-with-rams/article_bbde8111-f940-503c-8c10-f3708bc358ca.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 358ca.html</a>

It has been a rapid fall for linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar. From the team’s second-leading tackler a year ago, to an NFL suspension announced in August, to released from the team Tuesday.

But Dunbar’s release may have been nothing more than salary cap maneuvering designed to give the Rams some much-needed cap room entering the 2013 season.

For his part, coach Jeff Fisher didn’t rule out a return by Dunbar once his four-game suspension is over for violating NFL policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

“Of course, there’s a good possibility (Dunbar will be back),” Fisher said following Wednesday’s practice. “Anything’s possible.”

A league source familiar with the situation told the Post-Dispatch there was a “very strong possibility” that Dunbar would be back with the team following his suspension. But of course, there are no guarantees.

So why do this now? Each NFL team had to be cap compliant by Wednesday night. In other words, they had to be under the salary cap limit of $123 million. The Rams were very tight against the cap before Dunbar’s release, and releasing him now frees up roughly $1 million of salary cap space.

If the team re-signs him at the end, or near the end of his suspension, it might do so for a lower rate than the $1.3 million he was scheduled to make as a base salary in 2013. Under that contract, he was scheduled to be a free agent after this season.

Fisher was asked if there were any other incidents or problems that may have contributed to Dunbar’s release.

“There was nothing. No,” Fisher said. “He and I discussed it. We’ve got (the suspension) put behind us as far as the club and his teammates were concerned. No other issues. It was just a decision we had to make.

“We haven’t said this is it as far as his future’s concerned. But we thought it was in the best interest of the organization right now.”

Veteran Will Witherspoon, at 33 the oldest player on the team, took over Dunbar’s starting spot at outside linebacker once the suspension was announced. “Spoon’s done a great job since he’s been here,” Fisher said. “He’s been a consistent, productive player every place he’s been. Obviously, we brought Will in here with the knowledge that Jo-Lonn was not going to be available.”

As in, not available for the first four games. In any event, the Rams are as young and inexperienced as can be behind starting linebackers Witherspoon, James Laurinaitis and Alec Ogletree. Backups Ray Ray Armstrong, Daren Bates, and Jonathan Stewart are all undrafted rookies.

“We’re gonna continue to make roster moves probably throughout the year,” Fisher said. “We’re scouring the waiver wire right now, and trying to put ourselves in the position of upgrading the bottom half of our roster.”

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Whew. I feel much better now. I read this a Dunbar will be back with the team, and he and his agent were most likely aware of the plan before the Rams moved forward.

My question is.. if the Rams resign him after the suspension, will any of that future money be waived due to the 4game suspension? Or, does the 4 game suspension now have no salary impact on Dunbar, as he is not under a contract with any team?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stranger said:
Whew. I feel much better now. I read this a Dunbar will be back with the team, and he and his agent were most likely aware of the plan before the Rams moved forward.

My question is.. if the Rams resign him after the suspension, will any of that future money be waived due to the 4game suspension? Or, does the 4 game suspension now have no salary impact on Dunbar, as he is not under a contract with any team?

Good question...I would tend to think the slate is cleaned effective time of released. Looks to be a good business decision by the front office. Has no effect on the team the next 4 weeks. By one month the four LB rookies will have got major NFL game experience under their belts.

Rams have options then if the four have matured @ a rate that Dunbar's talent & services to this Ram team is no longer worth the $$$. Of course injuries come into play too. Rams are already short on some ST key elements with TE Cory Harkey (knee), S Darian Stewart (thigh), CB Quinton Pointer (thigh), and LB Jonathan Stewart (hip) causing some ST issues...the on going safety Stewart injury sage puts ST ace Rodney McLeod under some stress with playing on all ST's & starting in place of Darian.

Gives Lb'ers Bates & Ray Ray to shine & cause Dunbar heart to pain with his absence...maybe Dunbar will think a little harder next time partying comes into play! I am all out for these four rookie LB'ers to stay with this team permanently!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
BonifayRam leaving out an important detail:
Looks to be a good business decision by the front office. Has no effect on the team the next 4 weeks. By one month the four LB rookies will have got major NFL game experience under their belts.

Cutting him and resigning him later to save money may look good now but how will that decision look if we find we need him and another team signs him for more than we can afford? I'm not privy to the same information that the Rams FO has but I see no sense in this move. It would have cost us nothing to wait the 4 weeks to make this decision. I'm not buying the CAP considerations reason because I think we'll have to do something else on that front anyway. There should already have been contingency plans involving conversations with players concerning CAP relief so as to not make the final cuts CAP figures an emergency situation.

Makes very little sense to me so I'm going to take a nap and then cogitate about the matter.

F. Mulder

Starter
The two factors in the resigning are whether he is offered another/better contract from someone else in the interim and how the young LBers play in his absence.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
The first factor would be moot if we waited 4 games to see how the second factor plays out.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Frankly, I'm surprised no-one has referenced the comment Fisher made shortly following the announcement that Dunbar would be suspended. Specifically Fisher said; "we will evaluate the situation following the 4 week suspension." This indicated to me that Fisher was willing and able to proceed without Dunbar, depending upon how well Spoon holds up and the ongoing development of the back-ups

This indicates to me a couple of things. First, the condition and performance by the existing LB's over this 4 week period. Second, any needs as a result of the first 4 games. Should the need arise, I expect Dunbar to be welcomed back to the team (assuming he isn't picked up by another team). If not, it's been real and good luck.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
BonifayRam leaving out an important detail:
Looks to be a good business decision by the front office. Has no effect on the team the next 4 weeks. By one month the four LB rookies will have got major NFL game experience under their belts.

Cutting him and resigning him later to save money may look good now but how will that decision look if we find we need him....

True there could be a need but Fisher loves his Nickle & Dime defenses a lot. We may see the these two defenses even more. So going into game day with more than 4 LB'ers dressed for the pure need to cover just the base defense is a waste. But it just happens that Bates & Armstrong will get large amounts of game action in all ST's. Don't get me wrong I liked Dunbar a lot too but I see the serious need to make a point here on his bad actions and the results in such actions with a very young team. This is something I am highly in favor of.

and another team signs him for more than we can afford?

Well then we just resign Josh Hull or another vet Lb'er instead seems to me there are many presently looking for a team. What I see is a big shortage of OL'ers.

I'm not privy to the same information that the Rams FO has but I see no sense in this move. It would have cost us nothing to wait the 4 weeks to make this decision. I'm not buying the CAP considerations reason because I think we'll have to do something else on that front anyway. There should already have been contingency plans involving conversations with players concerning CAP relief so as to not make the final cuts CAP figures an emergency situation. Makes very little sense to me so I'm going to take a nap and then cogitate about the matter.

I am sure that the Dunbar release was a #1 on the contingency plan. I guess I am much more comfortable with the rookies than most & can not wait to see Armstrong starting & playing with the number one defense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
Frankly, I'm surprised no-one has referenced the comment Fisher made shortly following the announcement that Dunbar would be suspended. Specifically Fisher said; "we will evaluate the situation following the 4 week suspension." This indicated to me that Fisher was willing and able to proceed without Dunbar, depending upon how well Spoon holds up and the ongoing development of the back-ups

This indicates to me a couple of things. First, the condition and performance by the existing LB's over this 4 week period. Second, any needs as a result of the first 4 games. Should the need arise, I expect Dunbar to be welcomed back to the team (assuming he isn't picked up by another team). If not, it's been real and good luck.
Yeah, I remember the comment. I think I commented on the idea that if Spoon played well up to that point, that Fisher wouldn't automatically give the job back to Dunbar because that isn't his M.O. He plays the best player. Also, with regards to Dunbar signing with another team, there's another thing people should be aware of. *IF* he gets signed to another team, that team is only compelled to offer the league minimum; whereas the Rams could have already assured Dunbar that his pro-rated salary would be reinstituted. Just a thought. Not saying that's what they're doing. There are too many things we're not aware of, and it may not be wise to just assume that it was a hasty decision that was made off the cuff.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
X said:
ramsince62 said:

Yeah, I remember the comment. I think I commented on the idea that if Spoon played well up to that point, that Fisher wouldn't automatically give the job back to Dunbar because that isn't his M.O. He plays the best player. Also, with regards to Dunbar signing with another team, there's another thing people should be aware of. *IF* he gets signed to another team, that team is only compelled to offer the league minimum; whereas the Rams could have already assured Dunbar that his pro-rated salary would be reinstituted. Just a thought. Not saying that's what they're doing. There are too many things we're not aware of, and it may not be wise to just assume that it was a hasty decision that was made off the cuff.

Question...Could this be kinda skirting the rules? Never heard this being done before. Wonder if Snead will be getting a call from the N f'ing L?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
BonifayRam liking our other options:
True there could be a need but Fisher loves his Nickle & Dime defenses a lot. We may see the these two defenses even more. So going into game day with more than 4 LB'ers dressed for the pure need to cover just the base defense is a waste. But it just happens that Bates & Armstrong will get large amounts of game action in all ST's. Don't get me wrong I liked Dunbar a lot too but I see the serious need to make a point here on his bad actions and the results in such actions with a very young team. This is something I am highly in favor of.

Well then we just resign Josh Hull or another vet Lb'er instead seems to me there are many presently looking for a team. What I see is a big shortage of OL'ers.

I guess I am much more comfortable with the rookies than most & can not wait to see Armstrong starting & playing with the number one defense.

Taking a nap did nothing for my thought processes. That was a surprise. :lol:

I'm actually fine with our rookies but that's not based on any real games and I don't trust my instincts very much. Still, unless there are some factors I'm not aware of, it doesn't make that much sense to me. The bad news is Spoon will be starting. The good news is that I think he'll be replaced by Ray Ray before game 5.

BTW, IMO Hull is not a decent replacement for Dunbar and if we were forced to go in that direction I think our D would suffer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
EastRam said:
X said:
ramsince62 said:

Question...Could this be kinda skirting the rules? Never heard this being done before. Wonder if Snead will be getting a call from the N f'ing L?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeZ-0tbNiRA[/youtube]

EastRam

Pro Bowler
X said:
EastRam said:
X said:
ramsince62 said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeZ-0tbNiRA[/youtube]

:lmao: