Dumbest playcall ever....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
There are safer ways to get cute. Empty backfield is not one of them. Fake the power run up the gut and let the TE slide free, or run the QB around the end. They have the QB for it and he is quite elusive. I think the Seahawks really had better plays to choose from even if they did want to try to pass it. How about a designed pick. They ran one earlier and it worked great. Ran Revis right into the ref.
It still doesn't negate the fact that, due to the time on the clock, that was not the time to run it.

In man coverage, they had really 4 different routes to go to against man coverage, but with your RB in the flat, that's really just three. The point being, take advantage of that one free play that's either a touch down or thrown away.

If you don't have it, throw away the ball and you now have two more chances to hand off the football to Lynch.

But Russel Wilson doesn't do that. Instead he makes a bad pass that's intercepted, and there go your two hand offs to Marshawn Lynch. The two plays that were planned for well after this one free chance at a quick down is spent.

If anything, I would have spread the field horizontally even more.

I like Wilson, I really do, because I never get the impression that he is complacent or arrogant, but that interception is on him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks.

Carroll saw a front stacked against a power run and a matchup he felt he could exploit with a short route against a rookie corner who had zero career interceptions. And he didn't want to run, get stopped short, burn his final timeout and be boxed into calling a pass on third down.

"You could run on 2nd down, call timeout, have to throw on third and score, or incompletion and have to choose (run or pass) on the final down," Carroll texted. "That's ball logic, not 2nd guess logic ... you never think you'll throw an interception there, just as you don't think you would fumble."

That's pretty much what I said; so if I have no clue, then neither does he. So what are the odds that a smart guy, with knowledge of NFL situational playcalling, knowledge of defensive tendencies and weaknesses, knowledge of statistical trends, who possesses keen insight and courage, and is the smartest guy in the room is wrong? And if I am (wrong), then is Pete Carroll wrong too? ö

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I have not read this thread since it was about three pages long but I just wanted to add my final thoughts on this. In my opinion, it is not hindsight on this one to say they should have run the ball. I think everyone watching the game was expecting to see them hand the ball off to Lynch there. And to me, there's almost no way he doesn't get in. You could see how deflated the Pats were after that crazy catch. After that catch I bet all of Pats nation was like "here we go again, we lost this game." I also think that everyone saying they should have ran the ball would have been ok with them not getting in and losing the game if they tried to run it three times and were stuffed at the line. If the Pats stop them three straight times at the goal line, then so be it. You were beat using your best goal line attack. If that pass play would have worked, most of us would have said that that was a risk that shouldn't have been taken and that they were lucky it worked out. That being said, I don't have an issue with them passing the ball. But to not even fake the handoff to Lynch was perplexing. If anything, I fake the handoff and toss a fade to 6'5 Richardson. I get why that play was called, but at that point in the game, just man up and punch it in. The Pats were in disbelief at the previous play and I highly doubt they stop him more than one time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
After that catch I bet all of Pats nation was like "here we go again, we lost this game."
Probably, but I'd bet my life savings that not a single patriot defender had that mindset.
And that's evident by how their rookie corner played on that final snap.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Probably, but I'd bet my life savings that not a single patriot defender had that mindset.
And that's evident by how their rookie corner played on that final snap.

Great play by the rookie. But I think it was enough of a shock to punch it in from a yard out. Brady definitely looked like he was thinking that on the sideline though

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Great play by the rookie. But I think it was enough of a shock to punch it in from a yard out. Brady definitely looked like he was thinking that on the sideline though
Cuz he's a bitch.
Real men didn't sweat it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Thanks.

Carroll saw a front stacked against a power run and a matchup he felt he could exploit with a short route against a rookie corner who had zero career interceptions. And he didn't want to run, get stopped short, burn his final timeout and be boxed into calling a pass on third down.

"You could run on 2nd down, call timeout, have to throw on third and score, or incompletion and have to choose (run or pass) on the final down," Carroll texted. "That's ball logic, not 2nd guess logic ... you never think you'll throw an interception there, just as you don't think you would fumble."

That's pretty much what I said; so if I have no clue, then neither does he. So what are the odds that a smart guy, with knowledge of NFL situational playcalling, knowledge of defensive tendencies and weaknesses, knowledge of statistical trends, who possesses keen insight and courage, and is the smartest guy in the room is wrong? And if I am (wrong), then is Pete Carroll wrong too? ö

The old ' The NFL Coaches are the smartest people when it comes to football plays and are never wrong or never make mistakes, and who is a fan to question them, argument.'

NFL coaches make dumb decisions all of the time. Ask Mike McCarthy who is regarded as one of the better NFL head coaches out there. He screwed up an entire half of football.

Sometimes the fans are right.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And if I am (wrong), then is Pete Carroll wrong too? ö
Yes?

So given the context of a highly stacked box (sounds dirty), why do you throw into the teeth of it? Just doesn't make sense to me. I get the logic behind passing the ball there. I just don't get that play. Same with the Hill pass against SD. I would have understood the fade pass or an out but into the teeth of a stacked box? Don't get it.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
image.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The old ' The NFL Coaches are the smartest people when it comes to football plays and are never wrong or never make mistakes, and who is a fan to question them, argument.'
Yeah, except that's not what I said.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yes?

So given the context of a highly stacked box (sounds dirty), why do you throw into the teeth of it? Just doesn't make sense to me. I get the logic behind passing the ball there. I just don't get that play. Same with the Hill pass against SD. I would have understood the fade pass or an out but into the teeth of a stacked box? Don't get it.
Because it's a high percentage pass? Shit, we do it on 4th down all the time. Throwing into the teeth means throwing into a crowd over the middle. This was a slant that was there for the taking, were it not for a small miscalculation on the pass by Wilson, and a really good read by the defender. And that pass by Hill was also Hill's fault. That was a well designed play that would have been a sure TD if Hill just waited a second longer to see Cunningham trailing behind -- wide open.

RamsesIII

UDFA
Love all the differing opinions. Almost as fun as the game. But to be clear on the time situation: Seattle had 56 seconds left on the clock to get off three plays (plus one TO). They purposely ran the clock down to 26 seconds. So, they have no excuse as far as time left is concerned. They easily could have run the ball three times in that timeframe. They chose not to do it. Why? 1: fear of giving Brady too much time to respond. 2: Trying to be too clever.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Because it's a high percentage pass? crap, we do it on 4th down all the time. Throwing into the teeth means throwing into a crowd over the middle. This was a slant that was there for the taking, were it not for a small miscalculation on the pass by Wilson, and a really good read by the defender. And that pass by Hill was also Hill's fault. That was a well designed play that would have been a sure TD if Hill just waited a second longer to see Cunningham trailing behind -- wide open.
I still think it is a bad play call on the one yard line. You are generally not going to have players giving any cushion and that increases the odds of a pick. As far as Hill's throw, I wouldn't have had so much of a problem with it if he had thrown the pass that Fish said was designed. It was a bad decision on his part.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
While Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell complained in postgame interviews that Lockette "could have been stronger through the ball," give Butler credit for beating him to the spot.

"You see how he jumped it, though?" Irvin said to Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner as they stood at their adjacent lockers. "Like he knew it was coming.":D

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
A couple of points, not on the call, but the excution. Bevell said the WR fight didn't hard enough, and I think that's fair, but only to a degree. But Wilson missed the throw . . . in that position you don't lead the receiver, you throw it to his numbers, more specifically to the 3 (yes, I know there is a certain amount of leading, but relative leading) in his '83'. If the corner is in trail position, then you lead, in this case, the rub didn't work and the CB stayed locked and jumped the route and because it was a throw that lead a bit too much and because the WR didn't attack ball . . .the corner saved the day by picking it off.

upload_2015-2-2_18-29-39.png

Bellichick had 6 DL 2 LB and 3 CBs, no safeties . . .in his goaline package because there was not a jumbo offense with a Fb and TE or 2 TEs, they had 1 TE and 3 WRs in.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A couple of points, not on the call, but the excution. Bevell said the WR fight didn't hard enough, and I think that's fair, but only to a degree. But Wilson missed the throw . . . in that position you don't lead the receiver, you throw it to his numbers, more specifically to the 3 (yes, I know there is a certain amount of leading, but relative leading) in his '83'. If the corner is in trail position, then you lead, in this case, the rub didn't work and the CB stayed locked and jumped the route and because it was a throw that lead a bit too much and because the WR didn't attack ball . . .the corner saved the day by picking it off.

View attachment 5290

Bellichick had 6 DL 2 LB and 3 CBs, no safeties . . .in his goaline package because there was not a jumbo offense with a Fb and TE or 2 TEs
I'd add that when Bradford has executed a very similar play, you could hear the ball hit the receiver with a rather loud thud. Defenders generally don't have the hands of a receiver. If that ball is fired in there right to his numbers, does a DB catch it even if he does get his hands on it?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What they needed was Marc bulger in that situation. He was renowned for putting the ball just behind the receiver. That's why they couldn't get alot of yac.

If anyone remembers the 03 playoff game he threw to holt's back shoulder instead of in front of him. Gave the db a chance to make a play and make a play he did, intercepting the ball.

As martz said to him when he walked off the field, "why would you do that". Pete Carroll should be asking wittle wussell wilson the same thing.