DTR Podcast Ep.63: Potentially tagging both, LaMarcus Joyner & Sammy Watkins? feat. DT Deadrin Senat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I like it. I prefer one more year to make sure Sammy is on board with his role and too see if that role can expand some given an off season with Goff and staff. Now sign NRC.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
One will be signed and the other tagged. Bank on it . We have bigger holes we need to fill we don't want to create more

Psycho_X

Legend
It's something I thought they could do. Franchise Joyner since you don't want him leaving period. Transition tag Watkins and if another team offers him a contract we can either match it or let him walk or he stays for one more year to assess his value on the team after a full offseason. It seems better than letting him walk without trying to keep him at least. Transition tag doesn't save a ton of money as it is the average of the top 10 instead of the top 5. So maybe $1 million less than the franchise tag.

Only problem is the Rams would now have more than half of their free cap space tied up into two players. Life would be a lot easier to tie up Joyner long term. If he's happy staying with the Rams I don't understand how this can't get done. He's one of the best safeties in the game and he's young. Pay him top 5 safety money and move on.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Only 1 tag per team, 1 of these guys will be on a prove it tag and the other one hopefully gets signed long term

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
As said by Adi above each team can only use 1 tag, their choice which, but they can not use one of each. Rams can use either franchise tag or transition tag, but not both.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I talked about it on the podcast. The Rams can tag Joyner and sign him to a long term deal and then can use the tag to tag Watkins.
All in 1 week? Doesn’t make sense. Why not just sign long term

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Garafolo reported that they tagged Bowe, signed him long-term then were able to tag Albert.
I think he's mistaken. I cant find any article from that time frame that even remotely implies that.
Bowe was franchised in 2012

Last edited: