Drops %

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Rewatching some games from last year.one of the things that kept rearing it's ugly head again and again was the unacceptable amount of dropped passes. Not talking about the tough and or challenged misses.Im talking about the "right in the bread basket"kind of drops.As any of you know who watched a majority of our games last year,it was a problem.
Watching several games back to back(offensive snaps)just magnified it.
While a small part of this may be attributed to a couple of our guys not having natural hands(Harkey,Richardson -good luck buddy) .I think it's safe to say that as a group the receiving corp in general have pretty good hands....When Focused. The majority of drops that i saw were caused by things as simple as looking to run before the ball is secured or just a shear lack of focus.Is this just our youth talking? Not sure i buy into that.
Whatever the reason might be,I think we've got to get a handle on it before we can take the next step.Here's hoping our guys are wearing out that jugs machine like Torry used to do.

rec drp trgt trgt% drp%

Tavon AustinWR
40 7 69 58.0% 10.1%

Jared CookTE
51 6 86 59.3% 7.0%

Austin PettisWR
38 4 63 60.3% 6.4%

Daryl RichardsonRB
14 3 18 77.8% 16.7%

Cory HarkeyTE
13 2 18 72.2% 11.1%

Chris GivensWR
34 2 83 41.0% 2.4%

Lance KendricksTE
32 2 46 69.6% 4.4%

Brian QuickWR
18 2 34 52.9% 5.9%

Zac StacyRB
26 2 35 74.3% 5.7%

Isaiah PeadRB
11 0 15 73.3% 0.0%

Stedman BaileyWR
17 0 25 68.0% 0.0%

Benny CunninghamRB
6 0 10 60.0% 0.0%

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2013/

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It's because Sam Bradford failed to elevate the team/threw the ball too hard.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The receivers actually weren't all that bad aside from Tavon. I'll blame that on rookie jitters. But we'll find out for sure pretty soon.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Lance certainly has improved in this area. He's turned.into a solid player.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I know you think a QB has no responsibility for catches if he throws it too fast, but I disagree. SB needs more touch.
I've heard that a lot, but some of the best passers in the history of the game threw bullets. Favre, Marino, Elway, etc. I mean, if you're getting paid millions (or at least hundreds of thousands of dollars), is it too much to ask to be able to catch a football? Especially if that's your job? But aside from that, Bradford doesn't throw that hard in short range, in my opinion. At least not from all the games I've rewatched over and over. Some of his screens lacked touch, but that should be an indictment of his inability to set up a screen. Not that he throws too hard.

tavian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've heard that a lot, but some of the best passers in the history of the game threw bullets. Favre, Marino, Elway, etc. I mean, if you're getting paid millions (or at least hundreds of thousands of dollars), is it too much to ask to be able to catch a football? Especially if that's your job? But aside from that, Bradford doesn't throw that hard in short range, in my opinion. At least not from all the games I've rewatched over and over. Some of his screens lacked touch, but that should be an indictment of his inability to set up a screen. Not that he throws too hard.

We had the third worst drop% in the NFL.The drops didn't stop after Bradford got hurt

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We had the third worst drop% in the NFL.The drops didn't stop after Bradford got hurt
Yeah, I know. I was just commenting on the idea that Bradford is a rifleman. The drops I can attribute to rookie nerves and thinking too much, because I've seen guys go through that over the years. Except for Givens. I don't know what his deal was last year, but he didn't seem to have much fight in him. I truly believe it'll sort itself out this year though. If not, then we know we have a problem with a couple of guys.

RamSECUT

UDFA
Bradford needs to learn how to protect his receivers like Kurt did. Too many times, i've seen our receivers get led into big hits by Bradford. Remember how Kurt would throw the ball low in traffic, so Ike, and Torry could get down and catch it. Thus avoiding the big hit.
If a qb wants his guys to go above and beyond to catch his passes, he's solely responsible for not leading them into a dangerous, potential season ending hit

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I know you think a QB has no responsibility for catches if he throws it too fast, but I disagree. SB needs more touch.
Are you sure you know what I think? That's a dangerous thing to know. ;)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bradford needs to learn how to protect his receivers like Kurt did. Too many times, i've seen our receivers get led into big hits by Bradford. Remember how Kurt would throw the ball low in traffic, so Ike, and Torry could get down and catch it. Thus avoiding the big hit.
If a qb wants his guys to go above and beyond to catch his passes, he's solely responsible for not leading them into a dangerous, potential season ending hit
I honestly don't have any recollection of this being a problem. Maybe you could point to a few plays in different games to illustrate your point? I do remember Torry and Isaac hitting the ground before getting hit (to a fault), but that might have been a coaching decision.

tavian

X Would love to see you put together a drops tape to show that alot these drops were just bonehead focus drops and not a fault of either of our qbs.that is if you get the time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
X Would love to see you put together a drops tape to show that alot these drops were just bonehead focus drops and not a fault of either of our qbs.that is if you get the time.
I was going to do that a while back, but decided against it because it would seem like I was blasting everyone but Bradford. In order to be fair and objective, I'd have to make a video of all his incompletions, and that will take a while to put together. So I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about that. I might just do all of his throws over 15 yards again, because that showed both sides.

tavian

yeah.my post wasnt supposed to be about the qb situation at all,but just seems to have turned that way.I fully understand bradford has his own flaws to deal with but this drop issue really doesnt have anything to do with anything but our receiving corps needing to get better.if you get time to do it either way would be cool but as with all of us there is only so much time in a day. thx

Boffo97

Name
Dave
yeah.my post wasnt supposed to be about the qb situation at all,but just seems to have turned that way.I fully understand bradford has his own flaws to deal with but this drop issue really doesnt have anything to do with anything but our receiving corps needing to get better.if you get time to do it either way would be cool but as with all of us there is only so much time in a day. thx
I know, and Im sorry to derail your thread a bit.

There are many goofy, goofy people here. I am their king.

tavian

I know, and Im sorry to derail your thread a bit.

There are many goofy, goofy people here. I am their king.
no problems.goofy retains sanity in most.including myself.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We've got a ways to go in the offseason, and I'll find the time.