Dropped passes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
These players have ZERO:

C. Harkey - 3 receptions
K. Britt - 6 receptions
C. Givens - 4 receptions
A. Pettis - 6 receptions
L. Kendricks - 11 receptions
B. Cunningham - 6 receptions

These players have ONE:

J. Cook - 15 receptions
B. Quick - 16 receptions
Z. Stacey - 6 receptions
T. Austin - 3 receptions

3.7% vs 6% last season.

12th in the league vs 30th last season.

One drop per game average. That's pretty awesome. Freaking Bradford would be crushing teams.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, the Rams are converting more 3rd downs than they ever have except for the three GSOT seasons 1999, 2000, 2001 and they only trail those season by 3.5 % on average!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Clearly, our receivers as a unit are progressing. Great to see these guys adjusting to the NFL/a new team

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm only putting this out there because I've mentioned it before and IMO it is worth discussing as long as people keep it civil.

Bradford may be one of the reasons for the drops. He has a strong arm and does throw fastballs. Davis has excellent touch, at least so far.

What we may be seeing is the result of that. These guys have been catching footballs for many years, I doubt if they just learned how to do it correctly.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Those are also the only three years, 1999, 2000, 2001, they had more yards per game than the current 382 YPG at just 38 yards per game less!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Or maybe just maybe austin Davis has a more catchable ball and puts it in better places.

I don't think his placement is better but I always thought SB just threw too hard sometimes. A lot of his shorter passes seemed to be dropped more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm only putting this out there because I've mentioned it before and IMO it is worth discussing as long as people keep it civil.

Bradford may be one of the reasons for the drops. He has a strong arm and does throw fastballs. Davis has excellent touch, at least so far.

What we may be seeing is the result of that. These guys have been catching footballs for many years, I doubt if they just learned how to do it correctly.

This might account for a small percentage but a lot of it is concentration. As young players, you have a lot going through your mind so the more experience you get, the less you're thinking which makes catching the ball easier.

Take Jared Cook, for example, with his drop against Dallas. It was simply a drop. Doesn't matter how hard or soft that ball was thrown, he simply didn't catch one that should have been caught.

RamzFanz

Damnit
This might account for a small percentage but a lot of it is concentration. As young players, you have a lot going through your mind so the more experience you get, the less you're thinking which makes catching the ball easier.

Take Jared Cook, for example, with his drop against Dallas. It was simply a drop. Doesn't matter how hard or soft that ball was thrown, he simply didn't catch one that should have been caught.

I'm a Cook fan, but it does seem like he always drops the easy ones. That's what Titan fans were saying too. You almost have to make him fight for the catch to get him to concentrate. Still, his drop percentage to passes caught is just fine right now. Just don't do it on damn TDs!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
These players have ZERO:

C. Harkey - 3 receptions
K. Britt - 6 receptions
C. Givens - 4 receptions
A. Pettis - 6 receptions
L. Kendricks - 11 receptions
B. Cunningham - 6 receptions

These players have ONE:

J. Cook - 15 receptions
B. Quick - 16 receptions
Z. Stacey - 6 receptions
T. Austin - 3 receptions

3.7% vs 6% last season.

12th in the league vs 30th last season.

One drop per game average. That's pretty awesome. Freaking Bradford would be crushing teams.
Bench those guys who dropped a pass until they get their shit together!

Also, the Rams are converting more 3rd downs than they ever have except for the three GSOT seasons 1999, 2000, 2001 and they only trail those season by 3.5 % on average!
Is this in the entire history of the Rams? How far back did you check?

Those are also the only three years, 1999, 2000, 2001, they had more yards per game than the current 382 YPG at just 38 yards per game less!
Same question, as above^!?

RamzFanz

Damnit

I agree that AD has a better touch but KC did too and the drops were still bad. I think it's more that the receivers are maturing.

I can't wait to see Bailey get targeted more. I keep thinking how awesome the WR are this season and forget he's still not in the game much.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Bench those guys who dropped a pass until they get their crap together!

Is this in the entire history of the Rams? How far back did you check?

Same question, as above^!?

I didn't notice until you asked. This is back to 1990.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I didn't notice until you asked. This is back to 1990.
I had an idea about this! You know I go back to the 'Stone Ages' as a Fan! :LOL:And I remember the Waterfield / Vanbrocklin era very well!:D

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Clearly, our receivers as a unit are progressing. Great to see these guys adjusting to the NFL/a new team

That's part of it, the other part is Davis and he gets credit. He is finding open guys and getting them the ball.

I think you may be underestimating but that's just my opinion.

The Cook drop was terrible I agree. That gets dropped maybe 1 in 500 plays and that was the wrong game to do it in!

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I agree that AD has a better touch but KC did too and the drops were still bad. I think it's more that the receivers are maturing.

I can't wait to see Bailey get targeted more. I keep thinking how awesome the WR are this season and forget he's still not in the game much.

I am wondering what the % was with Hill. Small sample size for both Hill and Davis but Davis throws a sweet screen.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I am wondering what the % was with Hill. Small sample size for both Hill and Davis but Davis throws a sweet screen.

And they blocked well on the screens for once. I hope to see more of that especially with TA. You get him a well blocked screen and he can turn on the wiggle burners.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This is clearly the best WR core we've had here in a LONG time. I'm not buying the Bradford throws the ball too hard or without enough touch argument...concerning all the drops we've seen here in the last few years. Professional NFL receivers shouldn't have to be spoon fed perfect passes in this league. Our WR's have been bottom rung JAGS for awhile.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is clearly the best WR core we've had here in a LONG time. I'm not buying the Bradford throws the ball too hard or without enough touch argument...concerning all the drops we've seen here in the last few years. Professional NFL receivers shouldn't have to be spoon fed perfect passes in this league. Our WR's have been bottom rung JAGS for awhile.

I agree this is a good group collectively and the best since the real GSOT days. But I disagree on your disagreement of Bradford throwing fastballs because he does put mustard on the ball. Bulger had the same problem until Linehan came along, he was very poor at the screen and short pass. He threw it flat and drilled it in, sometimes when it comes in hot it gets dropped.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Our receivers and tight ends are legit this year. It should be the same as last year, except with Kenny Britt who's very good, but Brian Quick/Kendricks/Cook/Pettis are all looking better, and Tavon/Stedman duo could be great too, they've just hardly played. I know guys like Kendricks and Pettis don't have great YPC, but they are first down machines and have become very clutch. We have serious weapons, I keep saying it, but it's true. Improvement all across the board, in both drops and route running and playmaking and execution in general.